d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Which Version Of Linux?
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Apr 25 2017 01:52pm
Best Distro for Privacy: Tails

In this age of mass surveillance and tracking by marketers (anonymous tracking for targeted content is acceptable), privacy has become a major issue. If you are someone who needs to keep the government and marketing agencies out of your business, you need an operating system that’s created -- from the ground up -- with privacy in mind.

And, nothing beats Tails for this purpose. It’s a Debian-based distribution that offers privacy and anonymity by design. Tails is so good that, according to reports, the NSA considers it a major threat to their mission.

Best Distro for Desktops: Linux Mint Cinnamon

Linux Mint Cinnamon is the best operating system for desktops and powerful laptops. I will go as far as calling it the Mac OS X of the Linux world. Honestly, I had not been a huge fan of Linux Mint for a long time because of unstable Cinnamon. But, as soon as the developers chose to use LTS as the base, the distro has become incredibly stable. Because the developers don’t have to spend much time worrying about keeping up with Ubuntu, they are now investing all of their time in making Cinnamon better.

Most Customizable Distro: Arch Linux

Arch Linux is the best rolling-release distribution out there. Period. Ok, I could be biased because I am an Arch Linux user. However, the reason behind my claim is that Arch excels in many other areas, too, and that’s why I use it as my main operating system.

Ive never used linux before, trying to learn on by using it as the primary OS on the new PC i just built.

any help is appreciated
Gold: 2,407.00
Apr 25 2017 02:20pm
Ubuntu. It's designed to be very user friendly and for general use and it's probably the distribution with the biggest community and the most help available online.

Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Apr 25 2017 04:24pm
Gentoo.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Apr 25 2017 04:32pm
debian
Apr 25 2017 04:39pm
Quote (AbDuCt @ Apr 25 2017 06:24pm)
Gentoo.

Quote (DCSS @ Apr 25 2017 06:32pm)
debian

can you explain why, briefly?
Gold: 2,407.00
Apr 25 2017 04:45pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Apr 25 2017 05:39pm)
can you explain why, briefly?

Just a heads up, Ubuntu is based off of Debian. They took Debian and tried to make it more user friendly. Having said that, Debian itself is not a bad choice.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Apr 25 2017 04:55pm
Best Distro for Privacy: Gentoo
Compile any software you want. Tor, I2P, Chrome, Firefox, privoxy, valida, torsocks. Harden the kernel using latest technologies. Remove bad features from the kernel that expose weaknesses (built in hashing for weak hashes, different network stacks, unused generic drivers). Create blackholes for apps that don't need specific socket permissions. Jail anything you want.

Best Distro for Desktops:Gentoo
Compile any desktop environment or window manager you want. Gnome, Cinnamon, KDE, Fluxbox, i3-gaps, openbox, blackbox, xfce, lxde. Wayland, X.11, the other new one which is super cool that actually takes the delta of changed pixels to only update portions of the screen that has actually changed.

Most Customizable Distro: Gentoo
Compile any software you want. Configure the kernel any way you want. Compile any desktop environment you want. Configure configurations any way you want. Setup grub any way you want. Setup runtime services via openrc any way you want. Partition any way you want.

Gentoo

This post was edited by AbDuCt on Apr 25 2017 04:58pm
Apr 25 2017 05:05pm
Quote (AbDuCt @ Apr 25 2017 06:55pm)
Best Distro for Privacy: Gentoo
Compile any software you want. Tor, I2P, Chrome, Firefox, privoxy, valida, torsocks. Harden the kernel using latest technologies. Create blackholes for apps that don't need specific socket permissions. Jail anything you want.

Best Distro for Desktops:Gentoo
Compile any desktop environment or window manager you want. Gnome, Cinnamon, KDE, Fluxbox, i3-gaps, openbox, blackbox, xfce, lxde. Wayland, X.11, the other new one which is super cool that actually takes the delta of changed pixels to only update portions of the screen that has actually changed.

Most Customizable Distro: Gentoo
Compile any software you want. Configure the kernel any way you want. Compile any desktop environment you want. Configure configurations any way you want. Setup grub any way you want. Setup runtime services via openrc any way you want. Partition any way you want.

Gentoo

thank you

appreciate it
Gold: 518.50
Apr 25 2017 06:48pm
Don't listen to anybody telling you to use anything but Ubuntu. If you're a first-time Linux user, you're going to have a bunch of stupid little problems which are already answered by other people on the internet. When you use Google to discover how to solve these problems, they will be answered for Ubuntu. Once you're experienced, it is easy to translate the sequence of steps into whatever distro you are using, but you need to learn the basics first. Don't think that what you start off with will be the same as what you end up with; you're going to reinstall your OS at least once. If you hate Ubuntu's interface (which you should), I would recommend Kubuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org/). It is the same as Ubuntu in every way except the desktop manager is KDE instead of Unity.

I would advise staying away from Gentoo, Arch Linux, and Slackware. They're horrendously difficult to manage. As an experienced Linux user, I find the extra options they add to be completely fucking pointless and a total waste of time (good luck going on vacation and trying to emerge without getting a headache). I would be pretty amazed if a new Linux user could even get any of them installed properly. After that, I would ask why the hell they didn't just install Ubuntu.

Personally, I use OpenSUSE because it has a stable base which is easy to extend. The package management system, RPM, is one of the most robust systems for deployment I have ever used -- it works in exactly the way I want it to. This means package management through zypper (or YaST) is fantastic.
Apr 25 2017 07:23pm
Quote (ASBands @ Apr 25 2017 08:48pm)
Don't listen to anybody telling you to use anything but Ubuntu. If you're a first-time Linux user, you're going to have a bunch of stupid little problems which are already answered by other people on the internet. When you use Google to discover how to solve these problems, they will be answered for Ubuntu. Once you're experienced, it is easy to translate the sequence of steps into whatever distro you are using, but you need to learn the basics first. Don't think that what you start off with will be the same as what you end up with; you're going to reinstall your OS at least once. If you hate Ubuntu's interface (which you should), I would recommend Kubuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org/). It is the same as Ubuntu in every way except the desktop manager is KDE instead of Unity.

I would advise staying away from Gentoo, Arch Linux, and Slackware. They're horrendously difficult to manage. As an experienced Linux user, I find the extra options they add to be completely fucking pointless and a total waste of time (good luck going on vacation and trying to emerge without getting a headache). I would be pretty amazed if a new Linux user could even get any of them installed properly. After that, I would ask why the hell they didn't just install Ubuntu.

Personally, I use OpenSUSE because it has a stable base which is easy to extend. The package management system, RPM, is one of the most robust systems for deployment I have ever used -- it works in exactly the way I want it to. This means package management through zypper (or YaST) is fantastic.

i was thinking after i read up more on it (after seeing peoples posts)

that it might be a good idea to get one of the "beginner" versions and learn some before mving on to one of the more stripped down ones that are more complicated to navigate

thank you for your advice
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll