d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > My Friend Wants A Gaming Pc For Less Than 1200 Usd
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,173.00
Apr 24 2017 07:56am
She came up with this. Not too bad considering she has no idea what to pick.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TP3NFd

Mobo overpriced
1060 could be upgraded
PSU too small
Cooler fine
Intel or Ryzen? I like Ryzen myself.
Keyboard is crap. She needs a real one.

Anyways thanks. She lives in North Carolina. Not sure if near a MC or Frys, etc.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Apr 24 2017 09:37am
if you arent planning to replace this in a year or 2 go ryzen, 4c/4t is a rather meh. The only arguments for buying an i5 in 2017 involve benchmarks on games with poor multithreading and even in those ryzen is far above playable so this is only a win for the i5 buyer if the only thing they do with games is stare at the fraps counter or wank off about their minecraft tnt fps. Going into the future, the i5's numbers are only going to go down whereas Ryzen's will go up.

Thanks to AMD, Intel is even starting to put hyper-threading on pentiums now. Very soon (maybe by 2018?) there won't even be a desktop processor released that doesn't feature SMT. This thing will be a dinosaur, a reminder of when intel were so dominant and greedy they felt they could jew people out of hyper-threading, a feature that they launched over 15 years ago with the pentium 4. Nah.

I'm also not sure but I think you can still obtain win10 for free with that assisted technologies bs, makes sense since win10 users are the product, not the other way around. They are so desperate for people to use their garbage new os so that the market share on it stops flat lining they are essentially throwing it at people.

This post was edited by DCSS on Apr 24 2017 09:49am
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Apr 24 2017 10:10am
Gold: 84.10
Apr 24 2017 10:22am
Quote (DCSS @ Apr 24 2017 10:37am)
if you arent planning to replace this in a year or 2 go ryzen, 4c/4t is a rather meh. The only arguments for buying an i5 in 2017 involve benchmarks on games with poor multithreading and even in those ryzen is far above playable so this is only a win for the i5 buyer if the only thing they do with games is stare at the fraps counter or wank off about their minecraft tnt fps. Going into the future, the i5's numbers are only going to go down whereas Ryzen's will go up.

Thanks to AMD, Intel is even starting to put hyper-threading on pentiums now. Very soon (maybe by 2018?) there won't even be a desktop processor released that doesn't feature SMT. This thing will be a dinosaur, a reminder of when intel were so dominant and greedy they felt they could jew people out of hyper-threading, a feature that they launched over 15 years ago with the pentium 4. Nah.

I'm also not sure but I think you can still obtain win10 for free with that assisted technologies bs, makes sense since win10 users are the product, not the other way around. They are so desperate for people to use their garbage new os so that the market share on it stops flat lining they are essentially throwing it at people.

many pentiums and i3s with hyperthreading
and why would their performance increase over the years? plz explain this logic because of multithreading? how many years have hyperthreading been around and its still hasnt taken off really in gaming lol

Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Apr 24 2017 11:10am)

I like this somewhat best so far

This post was edited by yupitsmeh on Apr 24 2017 10:30am
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Apr 24 2017 10:51am
People make ht seem like a huge performance boost.

They always forget that ht are concurrent and not parallel aka they still share processing time on a single core.

More cores of lower CPI will always be faster and more performing than any cpu with ht.
Apr 24 2017 02:00pm
Quote (AbDuCt @ Apr 24 2017 11:51am)
People make ht seem like a huge performance boost.

They always forget that ht are concurrent and not parallel aka they still share processing time on a single core.

More cores of lower CPI will always be faster and more performing than any cpu with ht.

Ryzen also has many more physical cores :bonk:
even when comparing their lower price bracket offerings to the highest mainstream intel chips
On top of having a demonstrably better implemention of SMT than Intel does.

but hey 5 more fps when detonating a huge pile of minecraft tnt is worth the intel price premium

This post was edited by DCSS on Apr 24 2017 02:04pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Apr 24 2017 02:19pm
Quote (DCSS @ Apr 24 2017 04:00pm)
even when comparing their lower price bracket offerings to the highest mainstream intel chips

but hey 5 more fps when detonating a huge pile of minecraft tnt is worth the intel price premium

Where was I comparing amd vs Intel.
Gold: 84.10
Apr 24 2017 02:37pm
Quote (DCSS @ Apr 24 2017 03:00pm)

yes but 2 cores share common ccx which is connected to the need of faster ram to help it which I dont believe can be fixed until zen2

fyi people overclock for few more fps
people buy more expensive cooling for few more fps
people lower settings for few more fps

few more fps argument is a bunch of guff to me
it has been proven that ryzen is close but very much behind intel on gaming standpoint

oh btw after overclocking how much bigger does that gap get lol

I do wish that they can get it completely fixed but you think it'd be out by now otherwise its a workstation beast

This post was edited by yupitsmeh on Apr 24 2017 02:55pm
Apr 24 2017 03:23pm
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Apr 24 2017 03:37pm)
yes but 2 cores share common ccx which is connected to the need of faster ram to help it which I dont believe can be fixed until zen2

fyi people overclock for few more fps
people buy more expensive cooling for few more fps
people lower settings for few more fps

few more fps argument is a bunch of guff to me
it has been proven that ryzen is close but very much behind intel on gaming standpoint

oh btw after overclocking how much bigger does that gap get lol

I do wish that they can get it completely fixed but you think it'd be out by now otherwise its a workstation beast

i do know ryzen 2 is going to be much better but i also know intel isn't really worth it because you're getting less for more money and it's not like that extra fps matters when both chips play the games very well. You may as well get the one that has more room to grow and be taken advantage of by software in the future rather than wank off to your fraps counter.

This post was edited by DCSS on Apr 24 2017 03:23pm
Gold: 5,697.50
Apr 24 2017 03:30pm
looks like she wants a white build
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nVh2NN
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll