d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Solving The Clearspeed Meta? > Bosses
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 90.58
Apr 22 2017 09:04pm
Quote (CMBurns @ Apr 22 2017 06:46pm)
I think I conveyed my message wrong. I don't mean scale according to the player's power because that's really horrible.

I mean scale in a more linear way compared to other bosses of different tiers. 1 shotting a t15 boss isn't a good feeling. You barely get to see and interact with any of its mechanics.

Same thing applies to mobs. There are some mobs that have interesting mechanics, but we power through the map so fast that they're dead before they're done animating their attack.

There would be an overall much higher game difficulty if players actually had to interact with monster mechanics more often. Indoor Spark skeletons would royally fuck people with low lightning resist, etc.

I don't mind the game massively slowing down if it means we get to actually experience it for what it is. If anything they can just increase the loot/drop rate if the game gets slowed down that much.

Yea I understand. Basically one shotting the bosses does get pretty cheezy.

The problem basically boils down to: At what threshold should players start seeing diminishing returns after you completely break the game? (For example being insanely OP).

It's just hard to tackle this dilemma because of two things:

A: If a player spends xx amount of currency to be insanely OP, let them break the fucking game.

B: Difficulty should be scaled / hard all the time and challenge players even if you have insane OP gear

I'm more of POE personality A type. I believe from what you have said so far, you're mostly in between, or siding on the POE personality B type. Which is fine. I just know that GGG is mostly A at heart so it will be heart to change that up

Your mechanics point is spot on. Maybe AI needs to be scaled off of a player's DPS. For example, if you reach a certain DPS threshold, some bosses start using different AI mechanics. This way, players who are insanely geared still have challenging fights

Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 40%
Apr 22 2017 09:24pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 22 2017 07:32pm)
I think he's lost in WoW. Feel bad for him to be honest

Except that part where he made fun of Jonathan Roger's speech pattern on reddit was out of line (RIGHT AFTER he did an interview with him). Guy is really rude, but on a human level I cannot NOT feel bad for him. His demeanor on stream is just so depressing and ResidentSleeper

Stfu

You talk so fucking much and never really say anything
Gold: 1.93
Apr 22 2017 09:28pm
Remove garbage mechanics like reflect and prox shields and buff monster hp and damage.
And make less linear maps more pack size.

This post was edited by Plaguefear on Apr 22 2017 09:29pm
Apr 22 2017 09:37pm
Quote (MayweatherSucks @ Apr 22 2017 07:24pm)
Stfu

Had to go look it up just for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/57umb0/path_of_exile_atlas_the_lioneyes_watch_podcast_09/d8v3g7i/

Gold: 1,975.00
Apr 22 2017 09:50pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ 22 Apr 2017 23:04)

The problem basically boils down to: At what threshold should players start seeing diminishing returns after you completely break the game? (For example being insanely OP).

A: If a player spends xx amount of currency to be insanely OP, let them break the fucking game.

B: Difficulty should be scaled / hard all the time and challenge players even if you have insane OP gear

I'm more of POE personality A type. I believe from what you have said so far, you're mostly in between, or siding on the POE personality B type. Which is fine. I just know that GGG is mostly A at heart so it will be heart to change that up

Your mechanics point is spot on. Maybe AI needs to be scaled off of a player's DPS. For example, if you reach a certain DPS threshold, some bosses start using different AI mechanics. This way, players who are insanely geared still have challenging fights

Scaling it off of player's DPS would be a pretty awful way to code it because of the various types of dps that players have coming from different sources. It's a coding nightmare.

Overall tho, players have figured out the game enough that we all have a pretty good understanding of where the top end power stands.

Now you don't want to gate players from content for not going meta or for being poor or bad at the game... and to a certain extent, this is what GGG is trying to do. Letting the really good players blast through content while the rest of the players struggle a bit.

I get where they're coming from, but I would much rather see content like Guardians, Shaper, Atziri/Uber, T15 bosses and all that be content that you NEED to be powerful to tackle. Content that people can use as goals. Lil Joe and his hipster ele hit, summon skeleton RF, low life, no shavs build with 2k ES has something to look forward to as he figures out the game.

As it stands now, you can fuck shit up with a white crude bow, blast to T15 maps with vendor gear and some gem levels...it takes away the feeling of accomplishment. I remember back when Atziri was actually a breakpoint to determine whether your build was good or not. Now it's just a fucking joke.
Apr 22 2017 11:52pm
Quote (MayweatherSucks @ Apr 23 2017 02:24pm)
Stfu

Wow , talk about nerd rage
Gold: 0.90
Apr 23 2017 12:13am
Remove trigger gems
Nerf almost every single flask in the game by minimum 50%
Make linear maps t5 and below
Experience bonus for parties
Experience penalty for solo play

This post was edited by Meatstick on Apr 23 2017 12:15am
Warn: 60%
Apr 23 2017 12:52am
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 22 2017 10:04pm)

You're basically arguing for Equity over Equality.

I don't think that's the right thing to do, in an rpg in particular it ruins the feeling of progression. I had a lot of fun with untold legends on my PSP back in the day but the main reason i stopped playing was every area scaled with your strength so you never really felt like you were getting stronger. WoW also recently took this stance because they couldn't balance mob kill times and wanted to time-gate content right down to the individual boar and everyone hates it. If PoE goes down the same road I will not play it.

Do not punish players for advancing their character.

This post was edited by DCSS on Apr 23 2017 12:55am
Apr 23 2017 01:23am
Quote (DCSS @ Apr 22 2017 10:52pm)
You're basically arguing for Equity over Equality.

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/6/005/08f/1e0/3a1e78a.jpg

I don't think that's the right thing to do, in an rpg in particular it ruins the feeling of progression. I had a lot of fun with untold legends on my PSP back in the day but the main reason i stopped playing was every area scaled with your strength so you never really felt like you were getting stronger. WoW also recently took this stance because they couldn't balance mob kill times and wanted to time-gate content right down to the individual boar and everyone hates it. If PoE goes down the same road I will not play it.

Do not punish players for advancing their character.

I agree. I'm more of the A type I listed. If you get OP as fuck (spend a lot of time on gear, etc), players should break the game. However, it's coming to a point (that CM Burns has pointed out), where it just becomes insanely cheezy. I agree with that too. I don't think it should be that game breaking. There should still be some challenge, and that has to scale somehow

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Apr 23 2017 01:24am
Warn: 60%
Apr 23 2017 02:22am
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Apr 23 2017 02:23am)
I agree. I'm more of the A type I listed. If you get OP as fuck (spend a lot of time on gear, etc), players should break the game. However, it's coming to a point (that CM Burns has pointed out), where it just becomes insanely cheezy. I agree with that too. I don't think it should be that game breaking. There should still be some challenge, and that has to scale somehow

Well.. just make more difficult endgame content and make the rewards for them greater, the current issue seems to stem from the fact that mid-tier red (11-13) are the most rewarding to power farm. Shaper/uber atziri barely pay for the costs of running them most of the time.
Go Back To Path of Exile Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll