d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > 2006 Chevy Equinox Misfire Issues > Iso Some Opinions/help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,801.00
Apr 18 2017 08:13pm
Hello.

Wondering if some of you can offer some opinions/advice in regards to the issue I am having with my 06 equinox.

The trouble began ~ 1 week ago when I noticed power loss and sputtering while climbing a hill around 80 kph. The engine light flashed on and off during this time but went off afterwards.

Since then it has continued to happened, however it only happens when I reach ~ 80 kph. It sputters for a bit then when I get past ~ 90kph or so the problems lessens and is no longer noticeable ~ 100 kph.

Vehicle idle is fine and I have no problems driving in the city, the problem is just happening at these speeds.

My initial thought was a problem with my spark plugs failing under strain at certain points, however I had sparks plugs replaced ~20k ago along with associated wiring/coils so I am wondering if it could be something else?

To my untrained thought, it does not seem like a transmission issue as I don't notice rough shifting occuring, so I am wondering what else this problem could be.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. Will probably take it into the shop before weeks end but I don't want to get hosed over some bs.

This post was edited by Killingyouall on Apr 18 2017 08:15pm
Gold: 1,535.00
Apr 19 2017 11:42pm
the check engine light dosent stay on?

do you have access to a scanner? it may show the code even tho the light isnt on
Gold: 3,188.00
Apr 20 2017 06:02am
Scan it . Also check your plug wires . Maybe clean maf ?
Gold: 484.02
Apr 20 2017 07:29am
Flashing CEL is a misfire so you are correct there. The plugs need to be pulled and checked to make sure they are correct for your application and have the proper gap. My wife's cruze is very sensitive to plug gap. A couple thousandths makes a big difference. After that has been verified it needs to be driven with a scanner hooked up that records misfires for each cylinder. That will tell you where the problem is. Next look at fuel trims. If you have high positive trims at idle and low load you could have a vacuum leak. The MAF could be dirty but that's unlikely. It will probably end up being spark related OR the knock sensors themselves indicating false knock.
Gold: 95.99
Warn: 20%
Apr 20 2017 08:25am
As suggested above, clean maf, replace wires and properly gapped plugs

In my ex's Grand Am I thought it was having misfire and powerloss issues.

Ended up being the trans slipping, but it wasn't throwing the transaxle light.

Quote (FMX_89 @ Apr 20 2017 05:29am)
Flashing CEL is a misfire so you are correct there. The plugs need to be pulled and checked to make sure they are correct for your application and have the proper gap. My wife's cruze is very sensitive to plug gap. A couple thousandths makes a big difference. After that has been verified it needs to be driven with a scanner hooked up that records misfires for each cylinder. That will tell you where the problem is. Next look at fuel trims. If you have high positive trims at idle and low load you could have a vacuum leak. The MAF could be dirty but that's unlikely. It will probably end up being spark related OR the knock sensors themselves indicating false knock.

The GA CE was flashing occasionally too. But I thought it was going into limpmode.

This post was edited by CuttingEdge on Apr 20 2017 08:26am
Gold: 5,895.00
Apr 20 2017 10:41am
Ignition coil.

You're welcome.
Gold: 17,801.00
Apr 27 2017 07:05pm
You guys are sharp. Thanks a lot!

Turned out to be ignition coil along with a defective spark plug.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll