d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > States And Cities Paying College Tuition
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 10 2017 11:59pm
Simpler solution

-Make colleges responsible for tuition loan interest

Ends all negative externalities
Gold: 5,169.82
Apr 11 2017 12:51am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Apr 11 2017 06:49am)
"Rewards people for making less money"
Is this really how you think?

AspenSniper has a point. This "all or nothing" type of system is unfair to people who make marginally more or marginally less than the limit. Additionally, it motivates poor families to send their kids to college while doing nothing for the more rich ones.

Quote (Mattd90 @ Apr 11 2017 05:35am)
They should have a grade requirement of some sort. Just getting a 2.5+ or whatever shouldn't be the cut off. Ideally, to get students to try harder, I'd like to see something like:

3.7+ gets 100% of tuition paid for
3.3+ gets 85%
3.0+ gets 70%
2.7+ gets 55%

etc..

something along those lines.

It's either that or I say make no school free, but make it cheap. If tuition is dirt cheap, then people can afford to go, however, there's at least some risk/sacrifice to going to college.
When there's no sacrifice and college is 100% free, then college will eventually become just like high school, where no one takes it seriously, as will employers. When was the last time an employer treated a high school diploma as anything beyond a basic human requirement? 40+ years ago? That's what will eventually happen with an even greater influx of people going to college. We need more people in trades than college right now. Surplus of basic college degrees, an extreme deficit of skilled trade workers.

Also... what of the people who live in NY and such that took out huge loans and don't get free school because of a few years difference? Just a giant middle finger?

A monetary reward for getting high grades is redundant, and I don't think it's a good idea.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 11 2017 06:41am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Apr 11 2017 12:59am)
Simpler solution

-Make colleges responsible for tuition loan interest

Ends all negative externalities

Eh I don't want to make the university responsible for the student not being able to pay back the loan they knew they'd have to pay back. Should be on the borrower.

Quote (Plaguefear @ Apr 10 2017 11:49pm)
"Rewards people for making less money"
Is this really how you think?

Yeah how does it not? My parents make $100k+ combined, so I get absolutely nothing. Oh wait no, I get full college debt without a dollar of financial aid. While a student next to me, who has parents who only make $50k/year combined gets to go to college for free. So yeah, it clear as crystal rewards that family for making less money. If a family is smart, they take a pay cut or quit their job before their kid goes to college. It'll save them probably $100k+ in not having to pay tuition.

Quote (Mattd90 @ Apr 10 2017 10:35pm)
They should have a grade requirement of some sort. Just getting a 2.5+ or whatever shouldn't be the cut off. Ideally, to get students to try harder, I'd like to see something like:

3.7+ gets 100% of tuition paid for
3.3+ gets 85%
3.0+ gets 70%
2.7+ gets 55%

etc..

something along those lines.

It's either that or I say make no school free, but make it cheap. If tuition is dirt cheap, then people can afford to go, however, there's at least some risk/sacrifice to going to college.
When there's no sacrifice and college is 100% free, then college will eventually become just like high school, where no one takes it seriously, as will employers. When was the last time an employer treated a high school diploma as anything beyond a basic human requirement? 40+ years ago? That's what will eventually happen with an even greater influx of people going to college. We need more people in trades than college right now. Surplus of basic college degrees, an extreme deficit of skilled trade workers.

Also... what of the people who live in NY and such that took out huge loans and don't get free school because of a few years difference? Just a giant middle finger?

I was a magna cum laude student, so I should support your idea, but I don't entirely. I was a polisci undergrad and I would value the 2.7 GPA of an engineering major over a 3.5 GPA of a polisci major, so it's tough to do the GPA thing depending on majors that are notoriously tougher. I'd be good with doing it based by college major, but that gets a little tougher. I agree with your thought of a bachelors degree being the new high school diploma, which is one area where I actually greatly pity the poor as it's expensive to get to the new "standard." I got my MBA to set myself apart and that masters is probably as valuable as a bachelors was in the 80s. The trade worker theory is a tough one for me. On one hand I agree. I think if you can use your brains and combine that with being an electrician or plumber you can start a nice little business and make $200k+ a year easy if you do your homework right. On the other hand, I just got a Hispanic friend of mine to get his undocumented uncle to paint my whole house for like $400. So on that hand, you'd be an idiot to get into a trade where you have people willing to do it for pennies. Zero sum game.

Quote (Scaly @ Apr 10 2017 07:21pm)
They can? Weird. If you fall below a 2.2 here you don't get a degree. That's an average mark of 40% btw. Sounds low but anything over 80% is considered exceptional so it's not really. I'm consistently in the high 60s atm. Trying to push it to 70 for that first-class degree. But recent events have made it somewhat difficult for me. I'll be happy if I pass the semester.

Haha different grading system. In American Universities to get an A you typically need a 90%+ and in many you need a 93%+ as a 90-93% is considered an A- which is worth 3.67 GPA instead of 4.0. In one class, the one that broke my 4.0 GPA, I got a 94.2% and got a 3.67 GPA credit A- because the professor required a 95% for an A. For short, 90%+ = A, 80%+ = B, 70%+ = C, 60%+ = D, 59 or under = F/failing. Many consider a D failing too. a 73%+ is typically the average required to get a degree.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 11 2017 06:45am
Gold: 119,903.34
Apr 11 2017 06:57am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 11 2017 07:41am)
Eh I don't want to make the university responsible for the student not being able to pay back the loan they knew they'd have to pay back. Should be on the borrower.

Yeah how does it not? My parents make $100k+ combined, so I get absolutely nothing. Oh wait no, I get full college debt without a dollar of financial aid. While a student next to me, who has parents who only make $50k/year combined gets to go to college for free. So yeah, it clear as crystal rewards that family for making less money. If a family is smart, they take a pay cut or quit their job before their kid goes to college. It'll save them probably $100k+ in not having to pay tuition.

I was a magna cum laude student, so I should support your idea, but I don't entirely. I was a polisci undergrad and I would value the 2.7 GPA of an engineering major over a 3.5 GPA of a polisci major, so it's tough to do the GPA thing depending on majors that are notoriously tougher. I'd be good with doing it based by college major, but that gets a little tougher. I agree with your thought of a bachelors degree being the new high school diploma, which is one area where I actually greatly pity the poor as it's expensive to get to the new "standard." I got my MBA to set myself apart and that masters is probably as valuable as a bachelors was in the 80s. The trade worker theory is a tough one for me. On one hand I agree. I think if you can use your brains and combine that with being an electrician or plumber you can start a nice little business and make $200k+ a year easy if you do your homework right. On the other hand, I just got a Hispanic friend of mine to get his undocumented uncle to paint my whole house for like $400. So on that hand, you'd be an idiot to get into a trade where you have people willing to do it for pennies. Zero sum game.

Big difference in skills when comparing general labor with construction/housework vs comparing plumbing/electrician/HVAC/Welding and other skilled labor.

At least for the next 20-30 years skilled labor will be in demand. And there's not enough people to take over for the skilled laborers that are retiring because we have bred a generation that isn't qualified.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Apr 11 2017 07:11am
Retired Moderator
Apr 11 2017 06:59am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Apr 11 2017 07:57am)
Big difference in skills when comparing general labor with construction/housework vs comparing plumbing/electrician/HVAC/Welding and other skilled labor.

At least for the next 20-30 years skilled labor will be in demand. And there's not enough people to take over for the skilled laborers that are retiring because we have bred a generation qualified.

Yeah, you're right. I am just always fearful of those types of professions because there are always technology threats that can wipe them out or people willing to do it for less. Though you can say that about any occupation.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 11 2017 07:16am
Quote (Leevee @ Apr 11 2017 01:51am)
AspenSniper has a point. This "all or nothing" type of system is unfair to people who make marginally more or marginally less than the limit. Additionally, it motivates poor families to send their kids to college while doing nothing for the more rich ones.

A monetary reward for getting high grades is redundant, and I don't think it's a good idea.

But at the same time, it's equally stupid to just throw free college at everyone. It will always payoff short term, but it will ruin what college is in the long run.

Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 11 2017 07:41am)

Haha different grading system. In American Universities to get an A you typically need a 90%+ and in many you need a 93%+ as a 90-93% is considered an A- which is worth 3.67 GPA instead of 4.0. For short, 90%+ = A, 80%+ = B, 70%+ = C, 60%+ = D, 59 or under = F/failing. Many consider a D failing too. a 73%+ is typically the average required to get a degree.

As someone who did two engineering degrees, I can agree to that. Nothing worse than seeing my classmates and myself in the lab and library til 12am-4am half the week doing basic assignments to fight for a 3.0, while my other friends who were marketing and communications majors getting trashed on a Thursday night, half ass a good chunk of their work, and still walking away with 3.3+ GPAs. That's why no matter which side we take on the college tuition issue, there will never be a fair to balance college tuition. The most fair system is for people to pay 100% of their own tuition with no government support... however the issue with that is it will shit on the poor just like we have now.

I disagree on the trades however. If it wasn't for engineering or some kind of computer based major, then I wouldn't have done college. I would have done something like welding or my original plan of either going into the marines or trying to be a NYS Trooper, although I may have done a cheap shitty degree so I can move up the ranks easier.

I worked as a project manager for plumbing/hvac contractor for a few years. I can certainly tell you, that unless you were a shitty worker or the job pool was dry for most contractors in the area, then you would get work as a tradesman. Many/most public and commercial jobs have a prevailing wage set in place to keep the labor rates competitive and very much worth doing. It's actually the commercial jobs that are suffering the most from the lack of trades workers. You will run into more of the undercutting wage stuff with illegals on domestic jobs. Even then, my father was a painter and managed to do very well, even with many underhanded tactics by his competitors, such as hiring illegals, he got plenty of work... and we have a lot of illegals and undocumented workers up here in NY.

All in all, unless you take a highly demanded bachelors or go for your masters/PhD, I see no point to college. I foresee a much more successful career for someone in the trades at the current state of things.
Retired Moderator
Apr 11 2017 07:23am
Quote (Mattd90 @ Apr 11 2017 08:16am)
All in all, unless you take a highly demanded bachelors or go for your masters/PhD, I see no point to college. I foresee a much more successful career for someone in the trades at the current state of things.

Yeah somewhat fair. I know people who are smart as fuck who saw opportunity where a lack of skilled professionals existed for certain trades. Jamie@jsp did this too, he runs an energy audit/hvac company and I have to assume he's pulling in $250k+ a year. However, if you don't want blue collar type of work, it's very rare to get an office job without a degree.
Gold: 260.11
Apr 11 2017 07:32am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 11 2017 06:41am)

Dude, you know fuck all about financial aid.

That kid is getting federal loans, not a free ride. My mom made 23k/year with 2 kids and I didn't go to college for free. I got about 6k/year in grants and everything else was loans.

It rewards families with less money by giving them access to LOANS not by giving them free college.
Retired Moderator
Apr 11 2017 07:37am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 11 2017 08:32am)
Dude, you know fuck all about financial aid.

That kid is getting federal loans, not a free ride. My mom made 23k/year with 2 kids and I didn't go to college for free. I got about 6k/year in grants and everything else was loans.

It rewards families with less money by giving them access to LOANS not by giving them free college.

The program in my original post of this thread would give the $50k parent earning kid a free ride. I specifically posted about the 100% free 4 year tuition programs in New York and San Francisco. It is 100% a free ride as long as your parents make under a certain dollar amount. If they do, you're 100% on your own.

I know plenty about financial aid. I have worked at my alma mater for years post-graduation. You're right that typically poor kids just get some money, then the rest is access to loans. Then again, my ex gf got $17k/year in federal pell grants so the government basically paid half of her shit while I got not a penny. Not sure how that isn't fucked up. She did a study abroad program in France and burned through her government pell grants on fucking clothes, never worked a minute during college, while I on the other hand had to work the entire way through college to be able to afford it and still got left with a rack of debt, which I did pay off after working my ass off to do it. She has very little debt and doesn't do shit. It's not a fair system to base a student's financial aid off of their parents' income unless maybe that parent is a multi-millionaire, but even then, I don't think it's fair because you don't know if that parent is going to give their kid a penny.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 11 2017 07:42am
Gold: 260.11
Apr 11 2017 07:41am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 11 2017 07:37am)
The program in my original post of this thread would give the $50k parent earning kid a free ride.

Still, there are plenty of schools in New York that cost less than the difference in tuition, so you're really not rewarded for making less.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll