d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > States And Cities Paying College Tuition
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Apr 10 2017 11:02am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 10 2017 10:20am)
That it is as well. I won't disagree, but there is some value to taking philosophy classes and such.

yea like being easy while boosting your average n shit :o

@op, i'd say they ought to have mandatory co-op/internship requirements as part of any state funded educational program

This post was edited by duffman316 on Apr 10 2017 11:03am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 10 2017 11:09am
Quote (FroggyG @ Apr 10 2017 10:13am)
I noticed a huge jump from High School to University
Don't know about colleges :o

It's a great excuse for making you take more classes and pay more money.

In the USA universities and colleges are pretty much the same. Both can provide bachelors, masters, ph.d level education.

Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 10 2017 12:02pm)
yea like being easy while boosting your average n shit :o

@op, i'd say they ought to have mandatory co-op/internship requirements as part of any state funded educational program

Not opposed. I just think anything that pushes the idea of "college is a right, if you screw up who cares since the financial burden isn't on you" is a bad thing. Students already treat student debt like it's nothing and just default on it. This makes it even easier for students to fuck up with no consequences.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 10 2017 11:10am
Gold: 500.00
Apr 10 2017 11:17am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 10 2017 12:09pm)
In the USA universities and colleges are pretty much the same. Both can provide bachelors, masters, ph.d level education.

Not opposed. I just think anything that pushes the idea of "college is a right, if you screw up who cares since the financial burden isn't on you" is a bad thing. Students already treat student debt like it's nothing and just default on it. This makes it even easier for students to fuck up with no consequences.

really? and here i paid it off like a sucker =_=

as for the lack of consequences, i get everything i know about politics through comedy shows and i thought john oliver made student debt out to be something that could become something you pay off for a long period of time :mellow:

This post was edited by duffman316 on Apr 10 2017 11:18am
Gold: 83.30
Apr 10 2017 02:50pm
Quote (Leevee @ Apr 10 2017 04:54pm)
I'm completely baffled by the fact that the USA are yet to even consider the ECTS. I'm not saying that the American education needs to be compatible with that of the EU (this would probably be unrealistic), but the system with credit costs & rewards work perfectly.

I agree with this.

The fact that students can graduate (get a degree) with a low GPA (equivalent to failing courses) makes no goddamn sense to me.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 10 2017 06:21pm
Quote (balrog66 @ 10 Apr 2017 20:50)
I agree with this.

The fact that students can graduate (get a degree) with a low GPA (equivalent to failing courses) makes no goddamn sense to me.

They can? Weird. If you fall below a 2.2 here you don't get a degree. That's an average mark of 40% btw. Sounds low but anything over 80% is considered exceptional so it's not really. I'm consistently in the high 60s atm. Trying to push it to 70 for that first-class degree. But recent events have made it somewhat difficult for me. I'll be happy if I pass the semester.
Gold: 260.11
Apr 10 2017 06:28pm
Quote (balrog66 @ Apr 10 2017 02:50pm)
I agree with this.

They can't in the usa. If you're below a C average you don't graduate, and that's in each of your categories not just the overall degree.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 10 2017 09:35pm
They should have a grade requirement of some sort. Just getting a 2.5+ or whatever shouldn't be the cut off. Ideally, to get students to try harder, I'd like to see something like:

3.7+ gets 100% of tuition paid for
3.3+ gets 85%
3.0+ gets 70%
2.7+ gets 55%

etc..

something along those lines.

It's either that or I say make no school free, but make it cheap. If tuition is dirt cheap, then people can afford to go, however, there's at least some risk/sacrifice to going to college.
When there's no sacrifice and college is 100% free, then college will eventually become just like high school, where no one takes it seriously, as will employers. When was the last time an employer treated a high school diploma as anything beyond a basic human requirement? 40+ years ago? That's what will eventually happen with an even greater influx of people going to college. We need more people in trades than college right now. Surplus of basic college degrees, an extreme deficit of skilled trade workers.

Also... what of the people who live in NY and such that took out huge loans and don't get free school because of a few years difference? Just a giant middle finger?
Gold: 57.00
Apr 10 2017 10:34pm
Quote (Mattd90 @ 10 Apr 2017 23:35)
They should have a grade requirement of some sort. Just getting a 2.5+ or whatever shouldn't be the cut off. Ideally, to get students to try harder, I'd like to see something like:

3.7+ gets 100% of tuition paid for
3.3+ gets 85%
3.0+ gets 70%
2.7+ gets 55%

etc..

something along those lines.

It's either that or I say make no school free, but make it cheap. If tuition is dirt cheap, then people can afford to go, however, there's at least some risk/sacrifice to going to college.
When there's no sacrifice and college is 100% free, then college will eventually become just like high school, where no one takes it seriously, as will employers. When was the last time an employer treated a high school diploma as anything beyond a basic human requirement? 40+ years ago? That's what will eventually happen with an even greater influx of people going to college. We need more people in trades than college right now. Surplus of basic college degrees, an extreme deficit of skilled trade workers.

Also... what of the people who live in NY and such that took out huge loans and don't get free school because of a few years difference? Just a giant middle finger?

yep just like people who worked hard to make >$15/hr would be shafted by the min wage getting raised arbitrarily to $15, with them staying put at their current wage level.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 10 2017 10:47pm
Quote (excellence @ Apr 10 2017 11:34pm)
yep just like people who worked hard to make >$15/hr would be shafted by the min wage getting raised arbitrarily to $15, with them staying put at their current wage level.

Pretty much. Right now I'm pissed about it, because I was responsible and went to community college, followed by a state school here in NY (SUNY Buffalo), along with practical degrees, but I'm still paying off thousands. It's going to be raining liberal arts degrees here in NY within the next few years... more so than it already is.
Gold: 1.93
Apr 10 2017 10:49pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 11 2017 12:47am)
San Francisco, New York as a whole state and other areas are offering fully paid 4 year in-state tuition. Here's what I do and don't like about it:

Pros:
1. Boosts the education level of your city/state
2. Higher level workforce
3. Higher earners in your state/city (assuming college degrees = higher lifetime earnings
4. Due to higher earnings, less debt default and higher income and property tax revenue for the city/state

Cons:
1. Typically these programs don't have GPA requirements, so a student can fuck up and taxpayers have to pay it.
2. Often don't have graduation requirements. So you can go through 2-3 years, then quit and the taxpayers pay for it
3. Only free if your parents' income is under $100k/year. Pretty shitty if you have parents who don't want spoiled brat kids and don't give their kids money for college tuition. It rewards people for making less money, not sure how that's fair.

Solutions:
1. Make it a reimbursement program. You're on the hook 100% UNLESS you maintain a 2.5+ GPA and graduate within 6 years.
2. Force community college for the first 2 years. Community college is already much cheaper. If you want the free education, bite the bullet and sorry you don't get to enjoy the awesome life that collegetowns offer. Do well in community college, then you can be eligible for the free bachelors degree programs.

"Rewards people for making less money"
Is this really how you think?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll