d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Anime > Has Anyone Here Ever Visited Or Lived In Japan?
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 137.01
Apr 13 2017 02:19pm
You're better off just visiting rather living there.

If you plan to live there for good, you better have a good career. (The only in-demand English teachers that are needed there, are bi-linguals)

Being half Japanese myself and visiting numerous times I can tell you a few things.

1) Don't believe in the misconceptions that are given off by anime at all. Throw that belief out the window.
2) If you have tattoos, be cautious, they discriminate a lot with those who have them like myself.
3) Nearly all the "attractive" Japanese girls are only after material goods and title in the city. If you don't have a reputable career that pays very well, they wont like you. (Also if you're ugly as fuck, your odds are greatly dropped even more)
4) There's a great language barrier and it's honestly annoying. The fact that most of them do in fact know English, will put it off and piss you off regardless because they don't want to embarrass themselves and pretend to not understand.
5) Hopefully you're not easily offended, they discriminate... a lot. There's a reason they're one of the most xenophobic countries. (If you don't know what xenophobia is, google it asap)
6) True Otakus are far more shunned than the "wannabe weebs" in america calling themselves Otaku.

My advice, visit there, take a trip to Akibahara and get your weeb/japanophile fix and enjoy yourself. It's not someplace you want to decide to live because you like anime.

Don't end up like another Davido-kun.

This post was edited by Touhou on Apr 13 2017 02:20pm
Gold: 78.00
Apr 13 2017 04:30pm
the only thing that's remotely expensive is buying anime, bluray prices are dumb.
relative costs don't differ much in terms of utilities, rent, etc
lived in kyoto & tokyo on/off for 7-8 yrs
living in vancouver was more expensive than tokyo
gaijin hunters are a thing but not for much more than 1-night stands, gl finding one with a reasonable personality.

even if u like it on vacation, will find its vastly different when you're struggling to find employment with language barrier.
and the work hours relative to your pay if you go the teacher route will suck ass.
cannot overemphasize that you ought to be a functioning adult either working remotely to an american company/similar, or have good job prospects and a strong grasp of the language; hefty savings failing all that.
just knowing english at conversational level won't be worth shit if you're unprofessional / awkward in other ways (like moving to japan because lol anime).

2hu + hofx2 more or less nailed it
Gold: 95.00
Apr 15 2017 03:42pm
Quote (N0se_Powder @ 5 Apr 2017 23:33)
I'm curious as to what people's impressions were.. Specifically people who watch anime and may have varying expectations from the average American (or other foreigner) of what Japan is actually like.

Admittedly, most of what I knew about Japan for a long time was cherry picked from a multitude of anime etc., but as I've gotten older I've come to realize that it was foolish to try to surmise an entire country's culture based on the cartoons they produce.. I wouldn't want any other country to base American life on Bugs Bunny after all... But even knowing this I'm still afraid I have much higher expectations of Japan than what I suspect may actually be the reality..

As I do plan on visiting and perhaps potentially living there one day, I'm trying to gain a lot of different perspectives on this. Can anyone else relate?

inb4 I get flamed for comparing anime to cartoons...

The few Japanese friends I have know less about anime than I do, and I know very little.
Gold: 107.77
Apr 16 2017 10:00pm
Quote (Touhou @ Apr 13 2017 03:19pm)

If you plan to live there for good, you better have a good career. (The only in-demand English teachers that are needed there, are bi-linguals)

Being half Japanese myself and visiting numerous times I can tell you a few things.

1) Don't believe in the misconceptions that are given off by anime at all. Throw that belief out the window.
2) If you have tattoos, be cautious, they discriminate a lot with those who have them like myself.
3) Nearly all the "attractive" Japanese girls are only after material goods and title in the city. If you don't have a reputable career that pays very well, they wont like you. (Also if you're ugly as fuck, your odds are greatly dropped even more)
4) There's a great language barrier and it's honestly annoying. The fact that most of them do in fact know English, will put it off and piss you off regardless because they don't want to embarrass themselves and pretend to not understand.
5) Hopefully you're not easily offended, they discriminate... a lot. There's a reason they're one of the most xenophobic countries. (If you don't know what xenophobia is, google it asap)
6) True Otakus are far more shunned than the "wannabe weebs" in america calling themselves Otaku.

My advice, visit there, take a trip to Akibahara and get your weeb/japanophile fix and enjoy yourself. It's not someplace you want to decide to live because you like anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk

He's should've Jap slapped them

Gold: 371.38
Apr 17 2017 12:22pm
this gonna be OP

Gold: 1,630.69
Apr 23 2017 05:53pm
To summarize it for you:
- Crazy long work hours, basically no paid vacation, shit salary. If you manage to land a job, and that's a big if.
- Trains filled to brim, you literally can't move an inch in the rush hours.
- Super small apartments, without proper heating (good luck not getting ill in your first few winters).
- There are tons of fun things and places, but you won't be able to afford any of them with your teacher salary.
- Even if you get decent at Japanese, you still won't be able to understand their references and jokes for the next decade.
- Cultural differences, e.g. it's apparently totally cool for men to grab each others dick in public and joke about it.
- Earthquakes, tsunamis, typhoons, poisonous spiders that land you in hospital.
- Good food, anywhere you go.

You should ask yourself what you can get from living in Japan, that you couldn't in your own country.
Instead of spending all the effort learning Japanese, getting a job and establishing a new life there, you could just prioritize your career, and make enough money to "import" a Japanese wife, if that's your end game.
On the other hand, if you are doing karate for example, and want to train at a Japanese dojo to further hone your skills, you might consider staying there for a few years.

Quote (Touhou @ Apr 13 2017 09:19pm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk

Been to Tokyo myself quite a few times, this is mostly accurate. About point 3, if you are a slim caucasian male, you don't need to spend any money on girls.
Going dutch is totally normal for them, sometimes they even offer to pay my share.
Gold: 11,950.57
Apr 25 2017 10:53pm
Quote (Karan2_Returned @ Apr 23 2017 05:53pm)
To summarize it for you:
- Crazy long work hours, basically no paid vacation, shit salary. If you manage to land a job, and that's a big if.
- Trains filled to brim, you literally can't move an inch in the rush hours.
- Super small apartments, without proper heating (good luck not getting ill in your first few winters).
- There are tons of fun things and places, but you won't be able to afford any of them with your teacher salary.
- Even if you get decent at Japanese, you still won't be able to understand their references and jokes for the next decade.
- Cultural differences, e.g. it's apparently totally cool for men to grab each others dick in public and joke about it.
- Earthquakes, tsunamis, typhoons, poisonous spiders that land you in hospital.
- Good food, anywhere you go.

That's one depressing list, though touhou's was pretty depressing too though.

I can't really give any advice for ya OP since I never went and don't plan too

@touhou nice tattoos :thumbsup:

Banned
Gold: 3.69
Warn: 10%
Apr 26 2017 03:47am
Quote (MSX98 @ Apr 17 2017 12:00am)

10/10
Banned
Gold: 3.69
Warn: 10%
Apr 26 2017 03:49am