d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Pets > Planning To Buy A Dog Need Advice
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 17 2017 08:48am
one walk a day... holy shit. poor dog. no offense, but we took our dog out at least 3 times a day... she sadly passed a couple of years ago.

now i am also looking to buy a dog, but since its very uncertain where i will work one day and some other reasons, im not sure if i could do it :(
Gold: 13,378.89
Apr 18 2017 06:54pm
Quote (RedRocket1991 @ Apr 17 2017 09:48am)
one walk a day... holy shit. poor dog. no offense, but we took our dog out at least 3 times a day... she sadly passed a couple of years ago.

now i am also looking to buy a dog, but since its very uncertain where i will work one day and some other reasons, im not sure if i could do it :(

Not sure if it's in reference to my post or not, but worth some discussion either way imo :)

In my opinion, obviously the more the better, but I think it can also be fairly situational. In our case, we have a pretty good sized house for her to roam all day, she's not cooped up by any stretch of the imagination, and while she typically gets one "walk", it's typically an hour or more of pretty intense exercise (throwing the ball/stick until she's really pooped!), followed some mental stimulation in the evening; either training or nosework, plus free reign outside any time she'd like in the evening. We're in a pretty rural location, and she doesn't wander off our property, so we just let her out until she asks to come back inside.

Overall, I guess to me, it's a matter of making sure your dog has enough exercise and engagement (social, training, etc). What this looks like exactly will vary dog to dog, but the key is getting it in effectively. Some may want to constantly be by your side, interacting with you, while others prefer to do their own thing in the other room. A Husky and a Greyhound both need exercise, but it might take one 2 hour long run with the Husky, where the Greyhound will want to go hard for like 20 minutes several times a day.

Gold: 481.00
Apr 19 2017 08:27am
you have to train your dogs bladder to be used to the 8-10 hour sleep cycle

as long as you take your dog out before and after work and before and after sleeping, maybe even when you wake up in the middle of the night you should be good

i have a 40lb brindle and a 8lb mut and both go over night without peeing in the house

i got my brindle at 2 weeks old and only needed puppy pads for a few months while training her and she hasnt gone to the bathroom in the house since and never chewed anything up she shouldnt have
Gold: 166.08
Warn: 10%
Apr 21 2017 12:09pm
Get a small dog and kennel train it
Gold: 0.70
Warn: 60%
Apr 26 2017 10:33am
Quote (EmericAn @ Apr 3 2017 06:42am)
8-10 hours...... but a puppy much less, as they need to go potty much more often

This
Go Back To Pets Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll