d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > A Good Arm Workout > Hello
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 27 2017 01:33pm
was wondering if any of you got a good arm workout

my arm workout right now is

1 warmup dumbell curls 3 sets barbel curls 3 set seated isolated curls and 1x regular dumbell curl at maximum weight

3x seated overhead tricep extension and 3x triceps pushdown

is there anything i need to switch or add

how do i workout my upper triceps closest part to the shoulder

should i do bent over tricep extensions ?
Gold: 1.00
Mar 27 2017 01:41pm
ask tears
Gold: 32,090.31
Mar 27 2017 01:52pm
Just be careful. If your arms are bigger than your core, it's confirmed that you have a tiny dick.

Arm day not even once.
Gold: 5,000.77
Mar 29 2017 09:55am
ask ladsy
Gold: 450.51
Mar 29 2017 02:23pm
ask lightman
Gold: 32,090.31
Mar 29 2017 04:13pm
Quote (GodisLove @ Mar 29 2017 03:23pm)
ask lightman

If you want a vague and snarky response.
Gold: 125.00
Mar 29 2017 04:41pm
straight bar curl
2 sets very very light warmup straight bar curls
2 working sets of straight barbell curls to 10 proper reps failure
2 working sets of straight barbell curls a bit heavier to 8-10 reps failure, focus on pump over form, cheat bar up as needed but only to maintain peak pump, negative should be slow but not too slow
2 working sets of straight barbell curl dropped weight a bit, last 30-40% of reps may be cheated up with focus on pump

preacher curl
can be with a machine, with a straight bar, with dumbbells, or with a z-bar (as long as the curve on the z-bar is very slight)
6 sets
8-12 reps, focus on pump, same cheating rules apply but even more focus on the neg and the pump

rope curls or standing ez bar curls
instinct training, just do as needed, up to maybe 5 sets

Then triceps, close grip bench, dips, skull crushers, rope pushdowns, etc. Whatever you like. Same amount of effort. More careful with form because tricep exercises can fuck with shoulders and stuff more.

My opinion, specially with arms, if you aren't getting that pump, you aren't getting growth. At least as a beginner who is past the jerk-off gains.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Mar 29 2017 04:43pm
Gold: 125.00
Mar 29 2017 06:33pm
I remember the advice of a uni prof I had was to focus on compound movements only, and don't even bother with isolated stuff except maybe one or two exercises. He had string arms. The people he trained had string arms. He was all about crossfit and track and field. He had a motto: "I don't want to look big. I want to be able to perform in sports." He played tennis, soccer, and ran. He cited lots of articles to back up his theories, and his class was based on his own textbook. He chose studies that confirmed his own opinions. Most of what he had to say was true, except when it came to hypertrophy and strength training. He mainly just knew about flexibility and distance training (and big focus on VO2 max). Bit of a nutjob. He could run circles around me though, much fitter than me overall, just no muscle on him.

I've had my fair share of failures with exercise and lifting, but I think instinct training is something that a lot of people avoid because they're afraid... maybe they don't know what to do & need regimented advice, or maybe they are afraid that if they don't have a plan that they won't give it their all in the gym. Me, if you're feeling another set, go for it. Make it a dropset if you have to. Maybe up the weight for 1-2 reps first. Do what feels right sometimes. Flip side: If you hate squats (I hate squats b/c I need to improve my back & core & legs still, and my cardiovascular system), maybe stick to something more regimented and hold yourself to your plan.

The whole "12 reps is killing your gains" or "5 reps for strength", or whatever, is stuff I've somewhat thrown out the window. Great for shaking up the workouts if you're stuck, and probably great for someone taking their gains really really seriously. I don't *not* do that stuff, but I tend toward instinct training for 50%+ of my workouts. I have a preplanned idea of what I'll do, and I'll even do exercises that don't keep the pump going (ex. bent over rear delt flies), but for example if dips are hitting my shoulders funny... I'll find something else right away. Or I might just focus on negatives on the dips only. I won't force myself thru something if I know it's not cutting it for the workout.

Instinct training is how I put on a good amount of mass on my biceps. It's how I made gains on my pullups. I started doing things that felt right. Straight bar curls felt right, dumbbell curls never did it for me as my 1st bicep exercise of the day. Negatives on pullups felt right. After hitting things that felt right, I saw gains, and I could move forward better. If I want to put on some gains on my pullup, I do weighted negatives on pullups (but I still do regular pullups). Find stuff that resonates with you (but don't be that idiot who does 30+ reps for 6 sets of an exercise because it burns... that's not the same as a pump.) I remember listening to the Hodgetwins about how they put most of their size on by ending before going to failure (they mentioned that in one vid, I bet they contradicted that in several other vids); I think in most cases, for someone with a general goal of health & aesthetics, failure is usually your target on a set.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Mar 29 2017 06:38pm
Gold: 6,050.23
Mar 29 2017 07:24pm
Preacher curls are the bomb for biceps, it really isolates them well.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 29 2017 07:38pm
Quote (chevys10 @ 29 Mar 2017 20:24)
Preacher curls are the bomb for biceps, it really isolates them well.

yeah i saw a video where almost everybody says preacher curls = the best

atm i'm doing concentration curls with barbell curls mostly and finish with hammer curls
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll