d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Need Help Building Computer... > Part By Part
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 23 2017 06:59pm
Okay, so recommending what many people told me about the computer I just had bought.

I made the smart choice and returned it...

Although I still have my laptop which I'm using now, I cannot play any games on it for the most part.

So... I plan to build a desktop PC, but I will slowly have to purchase each part through out my paychecks.

Looking to have it completed in the next 3-4 months, and will be spending $100-200 every check to build one.

I do not need the best of the best right now of course, just something I can use for gaming.

The only game I will be playing for the most part as of now will be Overwatch, until another game comes out that gets my attention.

And of course over time I will be looking to upgrade just about everything.

So, starting off.. what parts should I start buying first? I assume the tower/case.

Looking for recommendations, thanks.

This post was edited by KNKS on Mar 23 2017 07:03pm
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Mar 23 2017 07:10pm
Budget:
More specific use (what games, what programs):
Planned time until purchase:
Do you need an Operating System?:
Do you have any specific preferred components?:
Do you need a sound or wireless card?:
Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?:
Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?:
Zip code/location? (Shipping costs):

fill this out

and yeah id buy case, psu first

Gold: 2,296.37
Mar 23 2017 08:18pm
I would just scope deals on places like slickdeals dot net or kinja etc. That way, you can take advantage of buying it over time.
Mar 23 2017 08:51pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Mar 23 2017 07:10pm)
Budget: No budget really as I will be buying everything over time, but ideally want to complete it in a few months so I'd say around $1000 USD.
More specific use (what games, what programs): I usually play Overwatch, Osrs, TF2, Paladins, use to play D2/D3. Other than that internet for basic web surfing and iTunes that's about it. Mainly gaming, don't really use any programs anymore.
Planned time until purchase: 3-4 months
Do you need an Operating System?: Yes
Do you have any specific preferred components?: Not really sure? No?
Do you need a sound or wireless card?: Yes
Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?: Not sure on the difference between these as I'm not technical when it comes down to the inside of a computer besides some stuff about processors, ram and the HD.
Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?: Yes yes and yes. Need help with monitor, as far as mouse and keyboard I will be buying Corsair keyboard and mouse that I liked.
Zip code/location? (Shipping costs): 30901/Georgia

fill this out

and yeah id buy case, psu first

Specifically.

I will buy 1-2 parts depending on the price/part every 2 weeks when I get paid.

So hopefully I can build a decently nice desktop to start off gaming with, which I will be upgrading over time.

This post was edited by KNKS on Mar 23 2017 08:56pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Mar 23 2017 09:13pm

I know you think this will work. It won't.

Best thing is to just save up the money, and THEN build a computer. The problem with the buy a part here and there method, is that you have no way to test the parts as they arrive.
For example: Newegg.com has a 30 day return policy. Amazon has similar. If you spend 3-4 months buying parts, you will see that this could cause problems.

If you simply can't manage to "save" the money, and absolutely have to buy with payments, there are a few places that will let you do that. Places that are well known for this, like Sager.

Here is a gaming laptop by Sager (one of many) for example...

https://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=1197

Mar 23 2017 09:16pm
Quote (Ghot @ Mar 23 2017 10:13pm)

Best thing is to just save up the money, and THEN build a computer. The problem with the buy a part here and there method, is that you have no way to test the parts as they arrive.
For example: Newegg.com has a 30 day return policy. Amazon has similar. If you spend 3-4 months buying parts, you will see that this could cause problems.

this is true
Mar 23 2017 09:31pm
Quote (Ghot @ Mar 23 2017 09:13pm)

If you simply can't manage to "save" the money, and absolutely have to buy with payments, there are a few places that will let you do that. Places that are well known for this, like Sager.

Here is a gaming laptop by Sager (one of many) for example...

https://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=1197

I can save the money no problem.

I just thought it may have worked. But I see your point.

Maybe I could order some basic parts first? that I wouldn't necessarily have to test. Then save up and buy most of the rest at once and test it then? Just a thought.

Also, I'd prefer a desktop. Really don't want a laptop simply for upgrading. And wouldn't that be more like layaway? Making payments, then getting the computer when it's fully paid off?
Mar 23 2017 09:32pm
Quote (KNKS @ Mar 23 2017 10:31pm)
I can save the money no problem.

I just thought it may have worked. But I see your point.

Maybe I could order some basic parts first? that I wouldn't necessarily have to test. Then save up and buy most of the rest at once and test it then? Just a thought.

Also, I'd prefer a desktop. Really don't want a laptop simply for upgrading. And wouldn't that be more like layaway? Making payments, then getting the computer when it's fully paid off?

I mean you could get the case.

Not really much can go wrong with a case
Mar 23 2017 09:35pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Mar 23 2017 09:32pm)
I mean you could get the case.

Not really much can go wrong with a case

True, I was thinking starting off. Just buying the case, maybe get an i5 and graphics card to start?

Then buy the rest later on all at one time.

Another problem is I don't know how to build a tower myself, but I have a lot of friends who do.

Mar 23 2017 09:37pm
Quote (KNKS @ Mar 23 2017 10:35pm)
True, I was thinking starting off. Just buying the case, maybe get an i5 and graphics card to start?

Then buy the rest later on all at one time.

Another problem is I don't know how to build a tower myself, but I have a lot of friends who do.

It's not hard

If I were you I'd maybe get the case.

Then just do your saving thing, you could even take out the 100$ or however much every week and put it in an envelope or something so you can visualize it

Then you can see that you are making progress towards the goal without actually purchasing

This post was edited by WhoBut_WBMason on Mar 23 2017 09:37pm
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll