d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Yuval Noah Harari
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 752.10
Mar 15 2017 03:52pm
Are any of you familiar with this Israeli historian? I am finishing Sapiens and about to start Homo Deus. For those of you interested I've shared two of his talks below.

I believe humanity is in for a rough time, what do you guys think? I will share more later when I can be on my computer.

https://www.ted.com/talks/yuval_noah_harari_what_explains_the_rise_of_humans

Gold: Locked
Mar 15 2017 06:26pm
Quote (nobrow @ Mar 15 2017 02:52pm)
Are any of you familiar with this Israeli historian? I am finishing Sapiens and about to start Homo Deus. For those of you interested I've shared two of his talks below.

I believe humanity is in for a rough time, what do you guys think? I will share more later when I can be on my computer.

https://www.ted.com/talks/yuval_noah_harari_what_explains_the_rise_of_humans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOmQqBX6Dn4

Looking forward to the "share more" aspect of this. Never heard of the guy, so hit me with who he is and what he's all about, and why I should read him over someone else.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 15 2017 08:00pm
Ted Talks used to be good. Now they're a fuckin' embarrassment.
Gold: 521.00
Mar 15 2017 10:58pm
Quote (Scaly @ Mar 15 2017 09:00pm)
Ted Talks used to be good. Now they're a fuckin' embarrassment.

How so, what changed?
Gold: 752.10
Apr 2 2017 08:25am
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Mar 15 2017 06:26pm)
Looking forward to the "share more" aspect of this. Never heard of the guy, so hit me with who he is and what he's all about, and why I should read him over someone else.

He is a history professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and his book Sapiens explores what makes humans the dominate species of the planet starting with the beginning of humanity. His conclusion is that humans are the only species capable of cooperating intelligently on a large scale because of our ability to be true believers in abstractions. I found the book to be very entertaining and informative (I haven't read much history, and have never much interest in studying it). Also he questions if our happiness has increased and personally believes the agricultural revolution to be a "fraud". I disagree on this but he presents a compelling argument on utilitarian grounds. I just started his 2nd book Homo Deus, which looks at out future with AI. So far humanity has been separated by class, however so far we are still equal biologically. This has the possibility to change for the wealthy elite thanks to genetic engineering and robotics, and if we use our track record on how lesser beings are treated by us, this is a very bleak outlook for humanity.

I've been very busy lately :P I can go more in-depth if anyone is interested. I greatly enjoyed reading this book, and I usually hate reading. I suspect people such as IceMage wouldn't enjoy him very much.

This post was edited by nobrow on Apr 2 2017 08:25am
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 2 2017 08:51am
Quote (DaCapoAlCoda @ 16 Mar 2017 05:58)
How so, what changed?

Too many deserve a rock for being captain obvious.
Gold: Locked
Apr 3 2017 05:16pm
Quote (nobrow @ Apr 2 2017 07:25am)
He is a history professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and his book Sapiens explores what makes humans the dominate species of the planet starting with the beginning of humanity. His conclusion is that humans are the only species capable of cooperating intelligently on a large scale because of our ability to be true believers in abstractions. I found the book to be very entertaining and informative (I haven't read much history, and have never much interest in studying it). Also he questions if our happiness has increased and personally believes the agricultural revolution to be a "fraud". I disagree on this but he presents a compelling argument on utilitarian grounds. I just started his 2nd book Homo Deus, which looks at out future with AI. So far humanity has been separated by class, however so far we are still equal biologically. This has the possibility to change for the wealthy elite thanks to genetic engineering and robotics, and if we use our track record on how lesser beings are treated by us, this is a very bleak outlook for humanity.

I've been very busy lately :P I can go more in-depth if anyone is interested. I greatly enjoyed reading this book, and I usually hate reading. I suspect people such as IceMage wouldn't enjoy him very much.

I wouldn't be opposed to reading about his theory about belief and cooperation, but I don't have much interest in his speculations about A.I. Most people don't understand the scope of technology well enough to make historical predictions with any validity, OR they understand the technology but don't understand the history.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll