d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Need To Find A Jounal Article
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 380.01
Mar 15 2017 12:39pm
Hi All,

I need to find a Journal article for an argumentative essay that I'm writing. The topic that I chose is about how millennials aren't growing up. I'm just not sure where I can find a journal article regarding this! Any help is appreciated!
Gold: 664.00
Mar 15 2017 10:21pm
Your school library is always a good place to start, additionally you can use google scholarly search (www.scholar.google.com)

Here are a few titles for articles I found on my own school library that you can probably pick apart to make it work.

Narcissism and entitlement in millennials: The mediating influence of community service self efficacy on engagement.

Managing imposter syndrome among the 'Trophy Kids': Creating teaching practices that develop independence in millennial students.

Hoverboards and 'hovermoms': Helicopter parents and their influence on millennial students’ rapport with instructors.
Gold: 4,600.00
Mar 15 2017 10:42pm
Most colleges that I have seen operate through a portal linked on their library's website. Mine, for example, looks something like this:

Main page > Library > Resources and reference material > Online databases
This displays a list of journals that you can access with short descriptions of each of them.

Look under the following subjects, specifically: psychology; childhood psychology; childhood development (aka cdev); possibly sociology; neurobiology (again focused on cdev).

Child psych is your best bet.

I 100% recommend using your college's resources before turning to Google Scholar. Contact the library if you have to. Most campuses have staff that will also tell you where/how to look.
Gold: 3.37
Mar 16 2017 07:05am
Quote (Delbow @ Mar 15 2017 01:39pm)
Hi All,

I need to find a Journal article for an argumentative essay that I'm writing. The topic that I chose is about how millennials aren't growing up. I'm just not sure where I can find a journal article regarding this! Any help is appreciated!

This has about as much substance as flat earth theory.

As a millennial, who moved out when of age, stayed out, self taught how to budget, save/invest money, pay/track taxes, and is constantly having to help the so called "grown up" generations with basic shit, like how to plug in a monitor, I find this entire proposition preposterous.

But then again, I love being the exception that proves the rule, so maybe there is substance to this after all.

-edit

All the data concerned is cherry picked or made up, and severely lacking in large enough data pools to be accurate or relevant.

This post was edited by Ep0ch on Mar 16 2017 07:08am
Mar 16 2017 09:09am
Quote (Ep0ch @ Mar 16 2017 09:05am)

As a millennial, who moved out when of age, stayed out, self taught how to budget, save/invest money, pay/track taxes, and is constantly having to help the so called "grown up" generations with basic shit, like how to plug in a monitor, I find this entire proposition preposterous.

Same boat here, lol, but I'm also thoroughly N=, so no judging OP.
Credible sources are everything. As a TA/sub for various courses in my college years, I've learned it's best to just give students the tools they need to figure it out on their own.
Gold: 664.00
Mar 16 2017 10:10am
Quote (Ep0ch @ Mar 16 2017 08:05am)
This has about as much substance as flat earth theory.

But then again, I love being the exception that proves the rule, so maybe there is substance to this after all.

-edit

All the data concerned is cherry picked or made up, and severely lacking in large enough data pools to be accurate or relevant.

What I think is the most challenging part here is that this is the argument he chose and is now looking for a scholarly article to back up the claim. I always picked something that could be easily argued and was based on fact to begin with. A better "argument" could be made against anti-vaxxers or why wearing a seatbelt is important. Tons of data on things like that rather than some claim that a singular generation got babied too much, its all subjective.
Mar 16 2017 11:19am
Quote (Petro @ Mar 16 2017 12:10pm)
What I think is the most challenging part here is that this is the argument he chose and is now looking for a scholarly article to back up the claim. I always picked something that could be easily argued and was based on fact to begin with. A better "argument" could be made against anti-vaxxers or why wearing a seatbelt is important. Tons of data on things like that rather than some claim that a singular generation got babied too much, its all subjective.

On the other hand, OP never actually specified which stance s/he is taking on the argument - simply that it was the chosen argument. There is, conversely, plenty of data to support that the argument is false.
In that same vein, often times throughout college I have started a paper with one opinion, attempted to argue it, and finished the paper with an entirely different opinion. Learning is a journey worth taking.
Gold: 3.37
Mar 16 2017 09:29pm
Excellent points, I have heard this argument so many times, I jumped the gun on the conclusion.

Thanks for setting me straight.

:hug:
Gold: 380.01
Mar 17 2017 07:04am
Hey guys, I appreciate the input and advice! I'm a millennial myself. However, I just chose a subject that I thought would be relatively easy to write about and would appeal (negative or positive, they will still be interested in what I have to say) to the majority of my classmates while I'm presenting my paper. Since some of you cared to share a bit about yourselves, I'd like to say a few things. I was born in 1991, enlisted in the Army after highschool, was honorably discharged with the rank of Sergeant, I have a 2 year old daughter and I have my own house. Now I'm using my GI bill and working towards a Mechanical Engineering Degree at my University. Millennial's aren't able to "grow up" as soon as their parents' generations were able to. So before jumping to conclusions thinking I'm a millennial-hater, wait until my paper is done lol!

I should add that a lot of people that I went to high school with are still living with their parents and yet they are constantly buying brand new vehicles, project cars, boats, etc. I'll never be able understand that. I've done fairly well for myself, coming from a household where my Mom made $250/week and raised 4 boys (3 of which are moved out, my youngest brother is still in high school).
Mar 17 2017 08:23am
Sweet n sour sauce man. I was also born in '91 and had a similar home situation.

You should post your paper up here when you finish. I'd be interested to see what you find. I have my own thoughts, primarily being that it has nothing to do with generation since people have been lazy and irresponsible for centuries, if not - dare I say - eons, but seeing the data could be enlightening.
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll