d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Is This The Cheapest Route I Could Go To Build A..
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.12
Mar 15 2017 09:57am
Trail/mud/ offroader ?

https://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/XT2011-16/low-dollar-wheeler-off-road#.WMljkJ8pBnE

I own a 2000 gmc jimmy 4door sle 4x4
No rear locker
Front aluminum diff transfer case I believe

I understand that I should probably not work on this to off-road (ughh.. love the jimmy)

Because of the price and work it would take

What's the cheapest thing that isn't junk and 4 door to take friends and family that a few thousand dollars worth of work could make and still be a daily driver if needed?

Is the link above the best option?

Thanks guys
Mar 15 2017 10:04am
And does anyone know the best years for that kind of jeep to off-road and mud in.
Which models and years for easiest to work with and best all around?

Could I do this to an older wrangler ( if so best years to work with? ) I love wranglers. And be able to go adventuring with family, friends and kids riding with me?
Just swap some transfer and axles into a wrangler along with those other mods? Thanks again guys!

This post was edited by ScoobySnax on Mar 15 2017 10:08am
Gold: 10.00
Mar 15 2017 10:11am
If you ask me, the CHEAPEST route is to buy an already built one. Kind of like race cars.

Gold: 1,350,000.00
Mar 15 2017 11:00am
Quote (OldAndyAndTheSea @ Mar 15 2017 11:11am)
If you ask me, the CHEAPEST route is to buy an already built one. Kind of like race cars.

this.

Nothing like free labor and 90% off parts.
Gold: 1,535.00
Mar 15 2017 11:31am
#1 mud sucks and brakes shit, you will learn if you dont already know.

#2 like they said, its cheapest to buy something already done or half done.

#3 realistically you need to decide if you want something good for DD or something good for off roading.

#4 4door is going to limit you, like a lot. and anything beyond the XJ/ZJ (jeep) and 4runner (toyota) you're going to get into stuff that doesn't have the aftermarket support (s-10 Blazers/Jimmys)(Ford Explorers)(Isuzu Trooper/Rodeo)(Nissan Pathfinder/Patrol/Xterra)(Mitsubishi Montero)(Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60/FJ80)(Land Rover Discovery)
Thats everything i can recall minus 4 door pickups. thats in your price rangeish

#5 what do you actually want to do, what are you going to use it for? knowing that i can help point you in the right direction, where to spend $ where to cut cost, ect
Mar 15 2017 12:55pm
Quote (OldAndyAndTheSea @ Mar 15 2017 12:11pm)

Thank you.

Quote (jimmyhoud @ Mar 15 2017 01:00pm)
this.

Nothing like free labor and 90% off parts.

^.^

Quote (KoJ @ Mar 15 2017 01:31pm)
#1 mud sucks and brakes shit, you will learn if you dont already know.

#2 like they said, its cheapest to buy something already done or half done.

#3 realistically you need to decide if you want something good for DD or something good for off roading.

#4 4door is going to limit you, like a lot. and anything beyond the XJ/ZJ (jeep) and 4runner (toyota) you're going to get into stuff that doesn't have the aftermarket support (s-10 Blazers/Jimmys)(Ford Explorers)(Isuzu Trooper/Rodeo)(Nissan Pathfinder/Patrol/Xterra)(Mitsubishi Montero)(Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60/FJ80)(Land Rover Discovery)
Thats everything i can recall minus 4 door pickups. thats in your price rangeish

#5 what do you actually want to do, what are you going to use it for? knowing that i can help point you in the right direction, where to spend $ where to cut cost, ect

Thank you sir!

Well I was wanting an 01-04 Tacoma, The Jimmy built up properly, or a Jeep (preferably Wrangler) Wrangler/Cherokee

Living in Indiana on Ohio border.
I will have regular cars to drive.
A '15 altima and another newer vehicle coming here soon.

I'd like to be able to drive it on the road to travel to places to get into some trailing or out in the woods/ offroading, with my family. My wife and 3 kids, other family, and friends.
I have family and friends that also are building trucks so we will all go together most likely but sometimes we will just go so wench is needed ofc always.

I don't want it so uncomfortable and unsafe feeling to drive it to where it is going. i.e, when headed to lake and river to raft/canoe and then to trail ride.
Just any spot i see that i want to get off the road and travel on that isnt obviously crazy enough to get into trouble or super stuck/ buried.

Im looking for something that can do the fun offroading stuff with fam and friends but not be absolutely terrible on the road so we can actually travel places to do trails and have fun. I dont want a monster truck but i want something with a good lift that can do as much as anyone else thats out there that isnt going 100% all out on their offroad vehicle.

preferably minus the vehicle i'd like to stay under 4-5 G's that i can build up over time to be good, and then from there just throw on more money for best stuff as it comes along?

This post was edited by ScoobySnax on Mar 15 2017 12:57pm
Mar 15 2017 01:45pm
well that being said, i would suggest a 1996–2002 (3rd Gen) 4runner, they can be had for not a ton of coin, and there is bolt on stuff for them.

my buddy has one, i think its a 01? mild lift, lockers, bumpers, roof rack sliders, and its a great expedition vehicle, that he can take almost anywhere, and ride in comfort.

Few words of suggestion on them.... The frame rust from the inside out, once you see the rust on the frame is too late

Usually you want a 3.4L v6 with under 180k miles, 5spd manual is very reliable. Auto is also reliable but if they did any kind of towing the trans does tend to run a bit hot. So use an external cooler if it doesn't already have one.
2000-2001 4WD had a push button 4wd engagement. If it was a family vehicle and only got it into 4wd once a year or never sometimes those motors can get stuck.

Motor is easy to work on, maintenance is very straight forward. Just make sure you only use denso or ngk for parts. Running some bosh or autolite plugs will make it run like crap..

Expect 17-20 mpg highway or 250-300 a tank on highway use.

All 3.4L have timing belt, and yes replace the water pump, thermo and drive belts at the same time. Use Aisin pump and a good belt.
Interval is 90k, if you are looking at one at 180K then the idle bearing and tensioner bearing get replaced then too.
Easy job to do and a few hours at home on a Saturday can be done. Do pick up a tensioner too, cheap on amazon or online, makes the job quicker since actually removing the tensioner can be a pain.
Gold: 134.78
Mar 15 2017 02:31pm
just dont ever plan on pulling the engine out of a 4runner
Mar 20 2017 05:23am
Awesome input bro thanks so much.
Do you know what my round about expenses might be to replace all the things mentioned/+ lift and parts modified for off riding the trails?
Vehicle round abouts price. Should I search for year with manual 4wd? And the 5spd? Or auto alright.

Any Nissan equivalents out there?

This post was edited by ScoobySnax on Mar 20 2017 05:25am
Mar 20 2017 08:22am
Quote (ScoobySnax @ Mar 20 2017 03:23am)
Awesome input bro thanks so much.
Do you know what my round about expenses might be to replace all the things mentioned/+ lift and parts modified for off riding the trails?
Vehicle round abouts price. Should I search for year with manual 4wd? And the 5spd? Or auto alright.

Any Nissan equivalents out there?

not with as good of parts support

Around here toyotas are worth their weight in gold, but i found a hand full of them under 150k miles with manual trans for 4-5k thats what id assume you'd pay

i would think the lift is going to cost you around 1500-2k front and rear

lockers front and rear id think around 1k-1200 with out a re gear.

tires wheels depends on how crazy you want to go. 1200-3k

i personally think you could have a great rig for like 12 grand. and you dont need to do it all at once

Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll