d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > 'beauty And The Beast' Trend
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,570.91
Mar 15 2017 09:08pm
I don't think this is something new, they've been doing it for years... and some have worked out well while others haven't.

Out of the top of my head these are the ones I can think of that I've watched:

101 Dalmatians -> terrible
Alice In Wonderland -> good
The Jungle Book -> dull (not terrible, but it just didn't offer anything new compared to the original... they only new thing was scrapping some dialogue and replacing it with action, and imo that isn't a good thing)

And there's also that Peter Pan movie with Robin Williams, which was decent iirc (although it's a sequel to the animated story, not a remake).

I don't know how many of these movies they plan to make in the future, but I just hope they are somewhat original (like Alice In Wonderland) and not just a soulless copy (like Jungle Book).
Gold: 5.00
Mar 15 2017 09:18pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 16 Mar 2017 05:08)
I don't think this is something new, they've been doing it for years... and some have worked out well while others haven't.

Out of the top of my head these are the ones I can think of that I've watched:

101 Dalmatians -> terrible
Alice In Wonderland -> good
The Jungle Book -> dull (not terrible, but it just didn't offer anything new compared to the original... they only new thing was scrapping some dialogue and replacing it with action, and imo that isn't a good thing)

And there's also that Peter Pan movie with Robin Williams, which was decent iirc (although it's a sequel to the animated story, not a remake).

I don't know how many of these movies they plan to make in the future, but I just hope they are somewhat original (like Alice In Wonderland) and not just a soulless copy (like Jungle Book).

I think it was called ' Hook ' the one with Robin, starring Dustin Hoffman as Hook maybe?
Gold: 2,570.91
Mar 15 2017 09:30pm
Quote (Lensherr @ 16 Mar 2017 04:18)
I think it was called ' Hook ' the one with Robin, starring Dustin Hoffman as Hook maybe?

Ah, yes, Hook is the name, and yes it's with Dustin Hoffman.
Gold: 5.00
Mar 15 2017 09:32pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 16 Mar 2017 05:30)
Ah, yes, Hook is the name, and yes it's with Dustin Hoffman.

childhood movie, I enjoyed it.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 15 2017 09:50pm
Quote (Lensherr @ Mar 15 2017 08:18pm)

Fantastic kids movie. Loved it as a kid, still occasionally shout Ru Fi Ooo at my buddy lol.
Gold: 10,025.00
Mar 16 2017 12:20am
I wish Hollywood would start taking risks with original movies again. I mean indie movies are fine and all but some of them could do so much more with a Hollywood budget.

Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Mar 15 2017 02:50pm)
I'm always going to go see every single SW movie because I love the franchise. I'm just not going to say something is great that I felt was just mediocre because everyone else says it's great... There are plenty of good movies that have come out in the past few years and plenty of mediocre ones. I'm glad you enjoyed the Disney SW films like I did, but we just apparently have different standards for what qualifies as an above average film.

Tfa was an above average star wars film. I'd place it 3rd out of the 8 released. It had a bit too much fan service, but not in a way that was super obvious and got in the way of the movie like rogue one's​ fan service did.
Mar 16 2017 12:38am
Quote (Blah58 @ Mar 15 2017 11:20pm)
I wish Hollywood would start taking risks with original movies again. I mean indie movies are fine and all but some of them could do so much more with a Hollywood budget.

Tfa was an above average star wars film. I'd place it 3rd out of the 8 released. It had a bit too much fan service, but not in a way that was super obvious and got in the way of the movie like rogue one's​ fan service did.

Just felt forced to me. The acting wasn't great, Kylo was Anakin annoying and the fact that they had another planet killing death machine that someone could Just fucking walk into and destroy really hurt the entire movie for me. Not to mention a trained Sith or whatever he is being beat by a person using a lightsaber for the very first time. Yes, he was injured, but with the gap in skill level (which should have been massive) he should have killed her in a single strike or combination of skilled strikes or force choked her ass to death in an instant. He can stop blasters mid air but can't crash someone's larynx? Where's the logic in that? It wasn't awful, or even bad, but I just don't get the praise and that it got better ratings than every SW movie but Empire. I think I'd put it at 5th all time for SW movies (Empire > Hope > Sith > Jedi > FA > Episode 1 > Rouge > Clone).

Just too many huge faults that bugged me out and I thought the fanservice was worse in TFA than R1. Seemed liked both movies were just ramming it down our throats more as a remember this stuff and how awesome it was? Rather than trying to make their own awesome and unique thing. I get that they may have felt forced to cater that hard for the first installment because they need to not have everyone losing their shit and boycotting the rebooted franchise before they even get rolling, but than R1 just made me feel like they're going to continue on the same path of trying to force feed us nostalgia, rather than try to make something that could be truly great. I'm still optimistic it'll turn around on the next installment, but I'm just trying to keep tempered expectations as I was pretty crushed with how lackluster TFA was. I think it was even more of a letdown just because of how acclaimed it was and that most SW fans I knew who saw it before me praised the ever living shit out of it. Of course, 90% of those people later retracted their claims and admitted it was just okay and that they got caught up in the hype. Was glad I saw it with my best friend. We walked out of the theater, looked at one another and said "meh" at the exact same time lol.

I know this is my opinion, I know that I'm in the vast minority with this opinion and I'm sorry if it pisses any of you guys off. I feel like I have valid concerns for why I thought the movie was underwhelming. Once again, it's not a bad movie, it just wasn't great and imo, should not receive the praise it does. I want nothing more than for the next movie to blow me the fuck away. First and foremost, the story needs to be original and interesting, and the range of the main actors will need to increase just a little bit for this movie to have the potential to be great. I don't think the later should be too difficult, they seem like talented kids. I'll probably see it opening night or the night after, but regardless of reviews, I'm not going to say the movie is great, unless it actually improves on the faults of TFA that I outlined. The reviews for Disney movies and SW movies especially, seem to be somehow always stupidly positive. Even when the movie is meh/okay or even terrible, anything Disney still seems to be considered the best movie of the year. Prime example is Frozen. There was NOTHING good about that movie, not a single thing. The songs were bad, the story was bad, and every single person in the story was utterly useless and just teaches nothing but how to be a shit person to kids. Before we go over this again, I don't hate everything, and I especially don't hate things just because they're popular. Zootopia had much higher ratings than Frozen and I really enjoyed that movie. I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was above average throughout for both adults and children. Now, I haven't seen Finding Dory yet, but my wife and a few other people I know who LOVE kid's movies have told me it was just a bad movie. It's yet another movie that got holy fucking good ratings, but was apparently just not very good. Still need to watch it, but I pretty much trust my wife explicitly when it comes to movies. I uh know, just really seems to me like Disney gets generous reviews and I feel like their influence and wealth ties into why that is.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Mar 16 2017 01:07am
Gold: 10,025.00
Mar 16 2017 01:13am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Mar 16 2017 12:38am)
Just felt forced to me. The acting wasn't great, Kylo was Anakin annoying and the fact that they had another planet killing death machine that someone could Just fucking walk into and destroy really hurt the entire movie for me. Not to mention a trained Sith or whatever he is being beat by a person using a lightsaber for the very first time. Yes, he was injured, but with the gap in skill level (which should have been massive) he should have killed her in a single strike or combination of skilled strikes or force choked her ass to death in an instant. He can stop blasters mid air but can't crash someone's larynx? Where's the logic in that? It wasn't awful, or even bad, but I just don't get the praise and that it got better ratings than every SW movie but Empir. I think I'd put it at 5th all time for SW movies (Empire > Hope > Sith > Jedi > FA > Episode 1 > Rouge > Clone).

Just too many huge faults that bugged me out and I thought the fanservice was worse in TFA than R1. Seemed liked both movies were just ramming it down our throats more as a remember this stuff and how awesome it was? Rather than trying to make their own awesome and unique thing. I get that they may have felt forced to cater that hard for the first installment because they need to not have everyone losing their shit and boycotting the rebooted franchise before they even get rolling, but than R1 just made me feel liked they're going to continue on the same path of trying to force feed us nostalgia, rather than try to make something that could be truly great. I'm still optimistic it'll turn around on the next installment, but I'm just trying to keep tempered expectations as I was pretty crushed with how lackluster TFA was. I think it was even more of a letdown just because of how acclaimed it was and that most SW fans I knew who saw it before me praised the ever living shit out of it. Of course, 90% of those people later retracted their claims and admitted it was just okay and that they got caught up in the hype. Was glad I saw it with my best friend. We walked out of the theater, looked at one another and said "meh" at the exact same time lol.

To be fair this planet destroying weapon was significantly harder to deal with than ds1+2 were. And for the kylo vs rey thing the movie perfectly set that moment up. They showed multiple times previously how good rey was at fighting, everyone talks about kylos training but seem to forget that rey did know how to fight as well. Plus it is mentioned a few times that kylos training is unfinished, AND we also see how brutal he is with the saber in previous scenes, the elegance of a trained warrior doesn't​ exist so there is no reason to think that he is some sort of master swordsman. Plus he was shot by a fucking bowcaster, ya know the thing that sends storm troopers flying like 5 feet when it hits them? That's more than a superficial wound, the fact that he can still function after that hit should be a bigger point of contention than rey winning their fight. And the final point to bring up is kylo was at no point trying to actually kill rey. He wanted her to join him, but rey was fighting for her life, of course she is going to win. If you could even call it winning, it was more like surviving long enough so she could find a way to escape.
Mar 16 2017 01:19am
Quote (Blah58 @ Mar 16 2017 12:13am)
To be fair this planet destroying weapon was significantly harder to deal with than ds1+2 were. And for the kylo vs rey thing the movie perfectly set that moment up. They showed multiple times previously how good rey was at fighting, everyone talks about kylos training but seem to forget that rey did know how to fight as well. Plus it is mentioned a few times that kylos training is unfinished, AND we also see how brutal he is with the saber in previous scenes, the elegance of a trained warrior doesn't​ exist so there is no reason to think that he is some sort of master swordsman. Plus he was shot by a fucking bowcaster, ya know the thing that sends storm troopers flying like 5 feet when it hits them? That's more than a superficial wound, the fact that he can still function after that hit should be a bigger point of contention than rey winning their fight. And the final point to bring up is kylo was at no point trying to actually kill rey. He wanted her to join him, but rey was fighting for her life, of course she is going to win. If you could even call it winning, it was more like surviving long enough so she could find a way to escape.

Still doesn't explain why he didn't just choke/push her into submission. Why not knock her out in a single sweep of your hand, bring her back once again and this time bring her to your master who would be able to be more persuasive by using typical sith invasion of one's mind and convert her by force. Badda bing, badda boom, you've got another evil jedi and it's game over. She was trained, but as it's discussed in the movies/books, wielding a lightsaber is unlike wielding any other weapon in existence. Training with normal weapons doesn't really transfer all that much to being a lighstaber duelist. Like I said, just thought it was kind of weak. I understand why it had to be done, wouldn't have made for a very good story if the protagonist died in her first fight from a mid-dungeon boss. He was still a little too whiny for my liking, and he was the only new/young actor who I felt was actually above average at his job.

I uh know, the Star Killer seemed pretty easy to destroy; a senior citizen and a 7' 6" wookie walked in and blew it up with almost no resistance.. I mean, come on now lol. So, the rebels keep blowing up our planet sized weapons that destroy other planets, what should we do about that? Okay guys, here's the plan, we'll build ANOTHER ONE, even though it's completely unnecessary with our vastly superior military force and control of the known galaxy, but this time, we'll build it on a planet, that way they can't destroy it in space. Damn, that's genius, that makes soooo much sense; but how will we defend it? We'll have a super beast force-field that the rebels could never get through. Well, I mean, that could work, but didn't we do that before and they got through anyways? I mean ye, but you know, they got lucky and shit. This time it'll be better and we'll make sure there's like no sneaky way they could just sneak in or w/e like they always do. What if they manage to get past the force-field even with all the added protection? We kinda blew the budget on the force-field and the extra protection for the force-field.... I was thinking we could maybe put 2-3 guys near/in the building where a single explosion could destroy the entire planet? You do realize that we have an infinite amount of soldiers and resources right? That's how we can afford to turn an entire planet into a weapon. Well, obviously we could just put a whole battalion there, couple tanks, maybe some droids and we'd never have to worry about a small force infiltrating the facility, but this way we're not paying an entire battalion to just sit around for years, or days or w/e, in preparation for an attack we KNOW is coming, because they ALWAYS come to destroy our planet killers, it's kinda the rebels thing. We don't pay them... they're slaves. Ya, I know man, but you get what I'm saying right? Not really, but lets move on. How about we figure out a way to not have a single place where someone can walk in and drop a bomb and destroy the entire planet? Well.... the rebels wouldn't be able to win then, and we wouldn't be able to milk this out for a second and third movie since they'd all be dead... It's no fair if the vastly superior military force actually prepares accordingly for an incipient attack. Well, that all makes sense, lets move forward with this plan, you can start construction today.

I really do know and understand that I'm in the minority. I just feel like my complaints about the movie should be at least understandable to even the most fanatical fanboy who's blinded by their love of the franchise. Hardly any movies are perfect and scifi especially will have a few plot-holes here and there if you really start poking around, but shit like this is just fucking ridiculous, especially after even huge fans of the franchise debated for years about how stupid and weak it was that a poor, less trained group of ragtag rebels with considerably less fighters were able to destroy the most advanced weapon ever created TWICE. I like that Rouge One explained that the flaw was put there on purpose, but that obviously wasn't what they were thinking in the 70s lol. It was just a weak as fuck way of making the rebels win. Just thought it was funny that after writing something that fucking lazy in the 70s, Disney goes ahead and does the sameeeee fucking thing again in an age where people are actually critical of every single tiny little flaw in movies.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Mar 16 2017 01:49am
Mar 16 2017 02:25am
Also just noticed how tall Anakin was....

How in the name of fuck is Anakin/Vader 6' 8" and Luke is 5' 8"? Get fucked by genetics bro.

I know you can argue that it's the suit or w/e that makes him so tall, but Anakin's height pre-vader is listed at 6' 8", at the very least, he's like 6' 4", which is still crazy that Luke and Leia are both midgets comparatively to their father. Even their mother was a modest height for a woman at 5' 6". Fuck Leia is a whopping 4' 11" lol.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Mar 16 2017 02:28am
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll