d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Real Ambition > Regarding Clean Energy
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10.77
Mar 14 2017 10:26am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Mar 13 2017 12:56pm)
Real ambition would be expanding nuclear energy.

You aren't solving any long term energy problems without embracing the expansion of nuclear energy.

This is good though, I just get annoyed when people who consider climate change to be one of their most important issues are also against nuclear energy.

The narrative needs to change regarding Nuclear energy.

Only if we are talking about LFTRs. And rewriting terrible treaties that prevent us from reprocessing waste.
Gold: 14.88
Mar 14 2017 10:31am
Quote (balrog66 @ Mar 13 2017 11:46am)
https://thenextweb.com/eu/2017/03/13/check-out-europes-crazy-clean-energy-plan/

Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands are considering creating a new island in the North Sea filled with windmills, enough to power the life of 80 million Europeans.

Denmark's Energinet and DE/NL TenneT are currently negotiating for an agreement to build 70-100 GW of wind power in the North Sea. The island would cover 6 km2 and would be mainly used for servicing the windmills at sea. Building the windmills on the Dogger bank will be cheaper, easier and better than building them on land according to both energy providers. The plan is part of meeting the 2050 goals set in the Paris agreement.

So, that's how they'll support the 80 million Muslims
Gold: 0.00
Mar 14 2017 10:32am
Quote (Knaapie @ Mar 14 2017 10:09am)
You mean: In co-operation with massive wind farms ? Thanks for linking the article, wanted to read about it when I heard the news 2 months ago.

When you rely on sun/wind, you'll need a local storage, perhaps one in every home, for when it's dark and no wind.
There is the need for peak power mitigation and more variation of the inconsistent suppliers, year round.

Fair enough. My thought was more along the lines of the huge battery technology breakthrough being applicable to many generation sources, as opposed to a single wind farm. It certainly can and should be used in conjunction with many sources, including wind farms.
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 14 2017 11:12am
Quote (ofthevoid @ 14 Mar 2017 17:24)
Small potatoes.

Unless India, China, US and other heavy weight polluters decide to take meaningful steps towards clean energy what Denmark and others like them do is meaningless.

http://elecrama.com/why-indias-solar-sector-has-turned-into-a-100-billion-investment-magnet/
"Earlier this month, the Narendra Modi government officially approved an incredibly ambitious plan for India’s fledgling solar sector.
From the current solar power generation capacity of 4 GW (gigawatt), it wants to produce as much as 100 GW by 2022".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/world/asia/china-renewable-energy-investment.html
China Aims to Spend at Least $360 Billion on Renewable Energy by 2020

We need every potato we can get.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Mar 14 2017 11:13am
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Mar 14 2017 02:45pm
the most important factor to consider is this: my goddam power bill is high. As far for the industrial needs of power, accountants gona compute if the price is right. Including the price of the investment.

This post was edited by the_rest on Mar 14 2017 02:46pm
Mar 14 2017 03:24pm
Quote (the_rest @ 14 Mar 2017 21:45)
the most important factor to consider is this: my goddam power bill is high. As far for the industrial needs of power, accountants gona compute if the price is right. Including the price of the investment.

That means subsidizing oil companies, creating international trade treaties allowing them to sew Ecuador for 1 billion for trying to reduce oil extraction from the Amazon and trying to stop India from their plan of creating jobs and a more durable energy system. Making their plan more expensive and less economical feasible at this time.

"LONDON, 27 February, 2016 – India has been told that it cannot go ahead as planned with its ambitious plan for a huge expansion of its renewable energy sector, because it seeks to provide work for Indian people. The case against India was brought by the US."

http://climatenewsnetwork.net/us-blocks-indias-solar-power-plan/

This being mostly an American forum, I really hope to see some pro renewable energy programs from you guys.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Mar 14 2017 03:31pm
Gold: 89,176.00
Mar 15 2017 03:23pm
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Mar 14 2017 09:35am)
Chernobyl happened almost 31 years ago and the technology of nuclear now so much more complex beyond that.

Fukushima survived an Earthquake and Tsunamis and the damage dealt from it is mostly very minimal. And Fukushima isn't exactly one of the better run nuclear plants and it survived a natural disaster.

Nuclear isn't some evil boogey man where there's a threat of meltdown. And the risks of natural disasters compromising the plants should be of no concern when compared to what is happening with fossil fuel.

And considering we already have nuclear technology that is safe but there's so much taboo that nuclear expansion is hesitant.

The shroud of the cold war nuclear doom is still in people's heads. When the reality is that the fears of nuclear energy that persisted from the past is irrelevant with current technology.

These types of fears don't have any solid foundation other than a baseless fear because the past issues and fearmongering around nuclear has incorrectly shaped the view of it.

You're dramatically understating how much a disaster Fukashima was.
Gold: 89,176.00
Mar 15 2017 03:35pm
Quote (Knaapie @ Mar 14 2017 10:09am)
You mean: In co-operation with massive wind farms ? Thanks for linking the article, wanted to read about it when I heard the news 2 months ago.

When you rely on sun/wind, you'll need a local storage, perhaps one in every home, for when it's dark and no wind.
There is the need for peak power mitigation and more variation of the inconsistent suppliers, year round.

"Smart charging" of electric vehicles will help to smooth out the grid once they reach wider adoption... they'll prioritize charging during peak supply when electricity is cheapest (and some suggest they might one day sell back some energy during peak demand).

This post was edited by taekvideo on Mar 15 2017 03:36pm
Mar 15 2017 04:19pm
Quote (taekvideo @ 15 Mar 2017 22:35)
"Smart charging" of electric vehicles will help to smooth out the grid once they reach wider adoption... they'll prioritize charging during peak supply when electricity is cheapest (and some suggest they might one day sell back some energy during peak demand).

True
I was thinking about that possibility as well. It helps to buffer it out a bit. However, cars tend to be away from home at peak energy production from solar and wind and they will have to be full when you do decide to drive in the evening. We have have to create charging points at work and cars need a setting to regulate when the battery can be used and how much is kept as a reserve, just in case you want to drive.
Then, there could be a real efficiency possibility while keeping cars usable whenever you want.
Gold: 2,570.91
Mar 15 2017 04:49pm
Renewable and nuclear energy are not incompatible. I'm in favour of both.

On the topic of the island, it sounds like a cool idea but for now I think they are just exploring the concept. If it turns out to be a valid replacement for regular energy sources then I hope they go for it.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll