d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Real Ambition > Regarding Clean Energy
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 119,903.34
Mar 14 2017 08:39am
Quote (ampoo @ Mar 14 2017 09:36am)
there is plenty of material available, the uranium sources you talk about are the classic ones (not including the fact that its possible to extract it from sea water)
and you mentioned thorium already which is more common

availability is not a problem regarding long term solutions, but the increasing amount of nuclear waste comes into the play at that point
there are so many ideas around for that, its impossible to list it all here, more recycling, use the heat emitted from that waste, using giant catapults to throw it into space (since rockets are not viable), its crazy ^^

wind technology is fine, but imo not for large scale energy production
just as solar panels i think they are best suited for local energy production for households

lets not forget that producing them in the first place costs huge amounts of energy and ressources, plus especially solar panels produce some serious hazardous waste when they are not usable anymore

Hazardous waste is infinitely better than fossil fuel burning energies that put CO2 and Methane into the atmosphere at high rates.

Waste should be of no concern. It can be mitigated. We can't mitigate rising CO2 levels to any substantive degree.

Also it would only be viable to launch it into space if we could launch it far enough that it goes out of orbit range. There's already enough trash and debris in our immediate orbital range , so much that scientists are going to have to figure out at some point how to deal with it. And a real issue and crazy thing is NASA or any other space administration has to factor in all the trash and debris orbiting Earth when they plan sending things into orbit.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Mar 14 2017 08:41am
Gold: 4,383.11
Mar 14 2017 09:02am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ 14 Mar 2017 15:39)
Hazardous waste is infinitely better than fossil fuel burning energies that put CO2 and Methane into the atmosphere at high rates.

Waste should be of no concern. It can be mitigated. We can't mitigate rising CO2 levels to any substantive degree.

Also it would only be viable to launch it into space if we could launch it far enough that it goes out of orbit range. There's already enough trash and debris in our immediate orbital range , so much that scientists are going to have to figure out at some point how to deal with it. And a real issue and crazy thing is NASA or any other space administration has to factor in all the trash and debris orbiting Earth when they plan sending things into orbit.

as i said, the "waste to space" discussion is huge and despite all problems, one of which you pointed out, its not finished yet

i disagree on your point that we can manage waste production, its not working so far and the classic environmental pollution is for me a much bigger problem than greenhouse gases
werent there some scientists recently stating, that at the current rate it will only take a few decades until there is more plastic in the oceans than actual fish? reducing CO2 wont help us much if that happens (and there are many things much worse than plastic)
granted, its a matter of everyones own interpretation

what i am saying is that right now most renewable energy concepts do not justify the costs of money, ressources and waste compared to their returns
on nuclear energy we agree
Mar 14 2017 09:12am
Quote (ampoo @ Mar 14 2017 10:02am)
as i said, the "waste to space" discussion is huge and despite all problems, one of which you pointed out, its not finished yet

i disagree on your point that we can manage waste production, its not working so far and the classic environmental pollution is for me a much bigger problem than greenhouse gases
werent there some scientists recently stating, that at the current rate it will only take a few decades until there is more plastic in the oceans than actual fish? reducing CO2 wont help us much if that happens (and there are many things much worse than plastic)
granted, its a matter of everyones own interpretation

what i am saying is that right now most renewable energy concepts do not justify the costs of money, ressources and waste compared to their returns
on nuclear energy we agree

The issues of waste just means some ecological damage and we do have the means to better store waste. A lot of problems with waste are tied into how we have disposed of it for all this time.

We could store the waste in better areas or potentially burn it or find find ways to destroy it without releasing toxic gas from it.

You compare this issue vs rising temperatures and rising CO2 levels and you should take the former in a pragmatic sense. We have so few options with runaway greenhouse gases that get out of control.

You basically choose between limiting harm vs a scenario that threatens every major ecosystem on the planet.
Gold: 89,176.00
Mar 14 2017 09:27am
How do you propose we significantly ramp up nuclear production without new Fukushima/Chernobyl/etc incidents popping up at an exponentially increasing rate?
Until we have a safer nuclear technology it just isn't practical, especially in the less politically stable areas of the world.
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 14 2017 09:29am
Quote (taekvideo @ 14 Mar 2017 16:27)
How do you propose we significantly ramp up nuclear production without new Fukushima/Chernobyl/etc incidents popping up at an exponentially increasing rate?
Until we have a safer nuclear technology it just isn't practical, especially in the less politically stable areas of the world.

aim_terrorist_attack_here.jpg
Mar 14 2017 09:35am
Quote (taekvideo @ Mar 14 2017 10:27am)

Chernobyl happened almost 31 years ago and the technology of nuclear now so much more complex beyond that.

Fukushima survived an Earthquake and Tsunamis and the damage dealt from it is mostly very minimal. And Fukushima isn't exactly one of the better run nuclear plants and it survived a natural disaster.

Nuclear isn't some evil boogey man where there's a threat of meltdown. And the risks of natural disasters compromising the plants should be of no concern when compared to what is happening with fossil fuel.

And considering we already have nuclear technology that is safe but there's so much taboo that nuclear expansion is hesitant.

The shroud of the cold war nuclear doom is still in people's heads. When the reality is that the fears of nuclear energy that persisted from the past is irrelevant with current technology.

Quote (Knaapie @ Mar 14 2017 10:29am)
aim_terrorist_attack_here.jpg

These types of fears don't have any solid foundation other than a baseless fear because the past issues and fearmongering around nuclear has incorrectly shaped the view of it.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Mar 14 2017 09:38am
Mar 14 2017 09:36am
Tbh though. I see fission power at this time as a great temporary solution with a high risk for its population.
It would be useful to reduce a bit of the CO2 production at this time. Perhaps only in America though.

Fission is not durable, it's just moving a problem. I hope we can be more ambitious than that.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Mar 14 2017 09:37am
Gold: 0.00
Mar 14 2017 09:50am
This is probably a greater step toward non-fossil fuel energy than a massive wind farm: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/245490-new-solid-state-battery-chemistry-glass-electrolyte-same-guy-pioneered-lithium-ion-cells
Mar 14 2017 10:09am
Quote (Surfpunk @ 14 Mar 2017 16:50)
This is probably a greater step toward non-fossil fuel energy than a massive wind farm: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/245490-new-solid-state-battery-chemistry-glass-electrolyte-same-guy-pioneered-lithium-ion-cells

You mean: In co-operation with massive wind farms ? Thanks for linking the article, wanted to read about it when I heard the news 2 months ago.

When you rely on sun/wind, you'll need a local storage, perhaps one in every home, for when it's dark and no wind.
There is the need for peak power mitigation and more variation of the inconsistent suppliers, year round.
Gold: 7,621.00
Mar 14 2017 10:24am
Small potatoes.

Unless India, China, US and other heavy weight polluters decide to take meaningful steps towards clean energy what Denmark and others like them do is meaningless.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll