d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Flat Earthers Vs Environmentalists > A Showdown In The Works?
Prev1234519Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,351.00
Mar 11 2017 04:07pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Mar 11 2017 01:52pm)
Your tears are delicious.

I am, however, wary of using kids as political props. But I think this is a little different, in that these kids are actually directly affected by the government's inaction regarding climate change. They're the ones who will have to deal with the outcome of our action/inaction.

Quote (Voyaging @ Mar 11 2017 01:59pm)
Them being kids is the point of the law suit, isn't it?

Trump’s climate change battle with a bunch of kids is heating up.

Trump’s Justice Department made moves this week to kill a lawsuit filed by 21 kids alleging the federal government has screwed them over when it comes to climate change. Specifically, the Washington Post reports, Trump’s lawyers asked a federal court this week to overturn a November ruling that cleared the lawsuit for trial. They’ve also filed a motion to halt the case immediately, saying the government would be “irreparably harmed” if made to produce documents the kids are asking for.

The plaintiffs, who range from ages eight to 19, are asking for 60 years worth of federal government documents. They want to know what the federal government knew about the harmful effects of climate change, and when they knew about it. They’re arguing that the government has continually failed to recognize the risks of climate change and adequately address the carbon emissions that cause it—and that that failure is a violation of their constitutional right to equal protection under the law, among other thing

Did you guys read that part? Do you guys fathom what 60 years of federal govt docs looks like, and with that in mind realize how bogus it is for a 10-18 year old to request such a thing? Read the latter part of that quote, those aren't the concerns of 14 year old nor are those the words of a child. Environmentalist & lawyers channeling their words thru kids.
Gold: 260.11
Mar 11 2017 04:14pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 04:07pm)

Trump’s Justice Department made moves this week to kill a lawsuit filed by 21 kids alleging the federal government has screwed them over when it comes to climate change. Specifically, the Washington Post reports, Trump’s lawyers asked a federal court this week to overturn a November ruling that cleared the lawsuit for trial. They’ve also filed a motion to halt the case immediately, saying the government would be “irreparably harmed” if made to produce documents the kids are asking for.

The plaintiffs, who range from ages eight to 19, are asking for 60 years worth of federal government documents. They want to know what the federal government knew about the harmful effects of climate change, and when they knew about it. They’re arguing that the government has continually failed to recognize the risks of climate change and adequately address the carbon emissions that cause it—and that that failure is a violation of their constitutional right to equal protection under the law, among other thing

Did you guys read that part? Do you guys fathom what 60 years of federal govt docs looks like, and with that in mind realize how bogus it is for a 10-18 year old to request such a thing? Read the latter part of that quote, those aren't the concerns of 14 year old nor are those the words of a child. Environmentalist & lawyers channeling their words thru kids.

At least they're being used for a cause that actually directly affects them. Usually when you put kids in the spotlight like this it's pretty slimy, but in this case even if it's not actually initiated by kids, it's their asses on the line regardless.
Gold: 152.00
Mar 11 2017 06:39pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 05:07pm)

I think you're seriously underestimating the intelligence of adolescents and teenagers.

This is absolutely something they would request, and it specifically only makes sense for them to request it since they're the aggrieved party.
Mar 11 2017 06:57pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Mar 11 2017 05:39pm)
I think you're seriously underestimating the intelligence of adolescents and teenagers.

This is absolutely something they would request, and it specifically only makes sense for them to request it since they're the aggrieved party.

No, it's really not. I'm not sure how many 10-18 year old kids you've met in your life but teenagers don't care about mountain stacks of technical documents to comb thru. Let me guess some school teachers probably got them energized and then they regurgitated some shallow talking points and some environmentalists decided that it would look good to have kids as the plaintiffs on a case like this. I mean, who can possibly be against kids? And if you're not "for" kids and their threatened future in this case then obviously you're against them, at least that's the inference. It's this appeal that bothers me, nothing else.

are asking for 60 years worth of federal government documents

This is literally a library full of documentation that would put the average intelligent adult to sleep. Kids don't give a fuck about this, you know who does? Lawyers.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Mar 11 2017 07:00pm
Mar 11 2017 07:02pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 06:57pm)
No, it's really not. I'm not sure how many 10-18 year old kids you've met in your life but teenagers don't care about mountain stacks of technical documents to comb thru. Let me guess some school teachers probably got them energized and then they regurgitated some shallow talking points and some environmentalists decided that it would look good to have kids as the plaintiffs on a case like this. I mean, who can possibly be against kids? And if you're not "for" kids and their threatened future in this case then obviously you're against them, at least that's the inference. It's this appeal that bothers me, nothing else.

This is literally a library full of documentation that would put the average intelligent adult to sleep. Kids don't give a fuck about this, you know who does? Lawyers.

Its almost like lawyers are the ones who run all lawsuits, even the ones adults are involved in.
Mar 11 2017 07:08pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 11 2017 06:02pm)
Its almost like lawyers are the ones who run all lawsuits, even the ones adults are involved in.

The plaintiffs, who range from ages eight to 19, are asking for 60 years worth of federal government documents. They want to know what the federal government knew about the harmful effects of climate change, and when they knew about it. They’re arguing that the government has continually failed to recognize the risks of climate change and adequately address the carbon emissions that cause it—and that that failure is a violation of their constitutional right to equal protection under the law, among other things.

Read the quote carefully.

Who is asking for those documents? Who is "they" referring to?

This is precisely my annoyance. Posturing kids here for brownies points, when everyone is well aware that this is not coming from the actual kids but some environmentalist & lawyers that decided it would be a good PR stunt to have kids be the face of this.
Gold: 152.00
Mar 11 2017 07:11pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 07:57pm)

They're not asking for the documents so they can read them themselves lol.

Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 08:08pm)

This is precisely my annoyance. Posturing kids here for brownies points, when everyone is well aware that this is not coming from the actual kids but some environmentalist & lawyers that decided it would be a good PR stunt to have kids be the face of this.

It has nothing to do with PR, the suit only makes sense that the plaintiffs are people who will be alive when the consequences of climate change become severe.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Mar 11 2017 07:13pm
Mar 11 2017 07:21pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Mar 11 2017 06:11pm)
They're not asking for the documents so they can read them themselves lol.

No waii

"They" are asking for the documents because some adults coached them on what to say and basically let the kids make some cute posters and probably spend 10 minutes on camera with some shallow environment talking points. Once the PR stunt was done, the team of lawyers stepped in and probably presented a behmoth case.

I mean i totally get the angle but this is the type of media spin i see more and more now a days. More and more are we relying on presenting a story in a way that will get us to say "Oh my Gawd, look a kid died on a beach in the Mediterranean, we must do something (meaning more war, more armaments, etc.) and if you're against doing something, you don't care about dying toddlers"

We're relying on fallacies that appeal to emotion, anger, fear, fill in the blank to basically give our position, whatever it is, a favorable image.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Mar 11 2017 07:25pm
Mar 11 2017 07:26pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 07:08pm)

Wow, such semantics.
Gold: 285.00
Mar 11 2017 07:35pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 05:07pm)

So...why are you against this though?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234519Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll