d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Flat Earthers Vs Environmentalists > A Showdown In The Works?
12319Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Mar 11 2017 12:54pm
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/141278/trumps-climate-change-battle-bunch-kids-heating-up

Trump’s climate change battle with a bunch of kids is heating up.

Trump’s Justice Department made moves this week to kill a lawsuit filed by 21 kids alleging the federal government has screwed them over when it comes to climate change. Specifically, the Washington Post reports, Trump’s lawyers asked a federal court this week to overturn a November ruling that cleared the lawsuit for trial. They’ve also filed a motion to halt the case immediately, saying the government would be “irreparably harmed” if made to produce documents the kids are asking for.

The plaintiffs, who range from ages eight to 19, are asking for 60 years worth of federal government documents. They want to know what the federal government knew about the harmful effects of climate change, and when they knew about it. They’re arguing that the government has continually failed to recognize the risks of climate change and adequately address the carbon emissions that cause it—and that that failure is a violation of their constitutional right to equal protection under the law, among other things.

The lawsuit has been hailed by climate activists as a potential saving grace—something that could literally force the government to implement aggressive greenhouse gas reduction policies. So far, the lawsuit has survived a number of small challenges, leaving green groups with tentative hope that they don’t actually need to convince Trump to act on climate change. If this succeeds, they can just force him to do it. But Trump’s team clearly recognizes this as well. And if this week’s court actions are any indication, they are not going down without a fight.

So it appears that this thing might actually make it to a real courtroom against all odds and corporate interests running on overdrive to try to prevent it, including the White House itself making very authoritarian requests to stop this trial by force, being honest for once in saying that it would make them look really bad and negligent.

What does PaRD think?

If you are one of those Audit the Fed types, I imagine you will be logically consistent and support this audit as well in a move toward transparency. But deep down I think a lot of those audit the Fed types are hypocrites and corporate stooges and will do anything to diminish the power of the people to regulate polluters.

If you don't think that this audit of government work and knowledge around climate change should happen, then why do you believe that?

What do you think of the argument that their equal protection has been violated by the governments negligence in the sense that these children and their children's' children futures have been compromised because of the moral failure of greedy capitalists who believe that lining the pockets of the 1% beyond all reasonable expectations is more important than having a reasonable environment to live in several decades from now?
Gold: 252.29
Mar 11 2017 01:07pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 11 2017 06:54pm)
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/141278/trumps-climate-change-battle-bunch-kids-heating-up

So it appears that this thing might actually make it to a real courtroom against all odds and corporate interests running on overdrive to try to prevent it, including the White House itself making very authoritarian requests to stop this trial by force, being honest for once in saying that it would make them look really bad and negligent.

What does PaRD think?

If you are one of those Audit the Fed types, I imagine you will be logically consistent and support this audit as well in a move toward transparency. But deep down I think a lot of those audit the Fed types are hypocrites and corporate stooges and will do anything to diminish the power of the people to regulate polluters.

If you don't think that this audit of government work and knowledge around climate change should happen, then why do you believe that?

What do you think of the argument that their equal protection has been violated by the governments negligence in the sense that these children and their children's' children futures have been compromised because of the moral failure of greedy capitalists who believe that lining the pockets of the 1% beyond all reasonable expectations is more important than having a reasonable environment to live in several decades from now?

No.
Gold: 6,351.00
Mar 11 2017 01:08pm
Why claim that the kids are the plaintiffs? What a load of garbage. This will have an impact on the the kids, yes, but don't try to illicit more of a response when it's obvious that it's environmentalist pushing for this not 13 year old Billy.

21 kids didn't claim shit and it's a disservice to people that actually believe in this cause to whore kids out like this.
Mar 11 2017 01:12pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 02:08pm)
Why claim that the kids are the plaintiffs? What a load of garbage. This will have an impact on the the kids, yes, but don't try to illicit more of a response when it's obvious that it's environmentalist pushing for this not 13 year old Billy.

21 kids didn't claim shit and it's a disservice to people that actually believe in this cause to whore kids out like this.

You seem cynical. That is your opinion though and you are entitled to it.

The fact is children have the most at risk here. I mean you guys (conservatives) do the same thing when talking about the deficit so I don't want to hear it. Killing the environment itself is way worse than running a budget deficit on some human made creation, and conservatives whore their children (in your eyes) all the time for that cause. I personally believe that climate people are genuinely worried about their children's world as much as budget hawks are worried about their children's debt. But I don't want to equivocate, and your opinion detracts nothing from the argument, just an ad hominem.

Any arguments to be presented against these plaintiffs?

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 11 2017 01:14pm
Gold: 6,351.00
Mar 11 2017 01:19pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 11 2017 12:12pm)
You seem cynical. That is your opinion though and you are entitled to it.

The fact is children have the most at risk here. I mean you guys (conservatives) do the same thing when talking about the deficit so I don't want to hear it. Killing the environment itself is way worse than running a budget deficit on some human made creation, and conservatives whore their children (in your eyes) all the time for that cause. I personally believe that climate people are genuinely worried about their children's world as much as budget hawks are worried about their children's debt. But I don't want to equivocate, and your opinion detracts nothing from the argument, just an ad hominem.

Any arguments to be presented against these plaintiffs?

I am actually pro conservation.

My problem is with using kids as political mo to illicit a stronger response. It's no different than a pro mining news report headline of "Child with cancer unable to get treatment because fathers mine is blocked by the EPA"
Gold: 10.77
Mar 11 2017 01:49pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2017 12:08pm)

I was an environmental activist at age 13... heck, I was organizing local Earth Day marches and tree plantings when I was 11. These kids understand what's at stake.
Mar 11 2017 02:03pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Mar 11 2017 02:49pm)
I was an environmental activist at age 13... heck, I was organizing local Earth Day marches and tree plantings when I was 11. These kids understand what's at stake.

I think so too. More importantly they're right. This is an actual threat to them and most life on Earth. We are triggering mass extinctions and ruining ecosystems for what? Hedge funds?

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 11 2017 02:03pm
Gold: 260.11
Mar 11 2017 02:09pm
New data shows, yet again, that the warming is happening faster than anticipated, and that now due to soil co2 release it will continue to pick up the pace.

We've really fucked ourselves long term.
Gold: 3,188.00
Mar 11 2017 02:13pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 11 2017 03:09pm)
New data shows, yet again, that the warming is happening faster than anticipated, and that now due to soil co2 release it will continue to pick up the pace.

We've really fucked ourselves long term.

Pretty much. Sucks all the old dumb fucks won't be around to reap what the sew

This post was edited by TeaRs- on Mar 11 2017 02:20pm
Gold: 0.00
Mar 11 2017 02:19pm
*Elicit
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12319Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll