d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > If Ultimately We Want To Have People Consider Your > Views
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 25.65
Mar 7 2017 08:01pm
Why do we attack someone's position? Why can't we sympathize and hear out what other's are trying to say? I asked a question and got flamed with actually good responses, but I totally ignored the good responses, and focused on the flame, and argued against why that flame is invalid.

Just wondering.
Gold: 28,296.69
Mar 7 2017 08:02pm

let's not turn every thought into a thread
Gold: 25.65
Mar 7 2017 08:11pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Mar 7 2017 07:02pm)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJixQ16L5zc

let's not turn every thought into a thread

wats a kissing book?
Gold: Locked
Mar 7 2017 08:45pm
Quote (leemyungbak @ Mar 7 2017 07:01pm)
Why do we attack someone's position? Why can't we sympathize and hear out what other's are trying to say? I asked a question and got flamed with actually good responses, but I totally ignored the good responses, and focused on the flame, and argued against why that flame is invalid.

Just wondering.

Because people are too insecure with their own arguments to allow them to stand on their own.
Gold: 28,296.69
Mar 7 2017 08:57pm
In my opinion,

A lot of people believe what they were told to believe rather than believe what they found to be true.

If you believe what you are told to believe then me questioning that is me questioning what they consider to be their core. It's personal to them. They take is as not only an attack against them and their beliefs but an attack against where those beliefs and opinions originated from.

It's why people get all over supportive about things like spanking for example. When you question those you hold high in your head and what they taught you you become vulnerable and people very much dislike vulnerability and never leave their comfort zones which is where they actually need to go to find themselves and not what others told or wanted them to be
Gold: 521.00
Mar 15 2017 11:21pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Mar 7 2017 09:57pm)
In my opinion,

A lot of people believe what they were told to believe rather than believe what they found to be true.

If you believe what you are told to believe then me questioning that is me questioning what they consider to be their core. It's personal to them. They take is as not only an attack against them and their beliefs but an attack against where those beliefs and opinions originated from.

It's why people get all over supportive about things like spanking for example. When you question those you hold high in your head and what they taught you you become vulnerable and people very much dislike vulnerability and never leave their comfort zones which is where they actually need to go to find themselves and not what others told or wanted them to be

This makes me think of a conversation I had with my grandmother when I was young. She said something like "the stars aren't out so that means it's gonna rain" I said something along the lines of, "maybe, but we're right under an outdoor light which makes it hard to see the sky." From that comment, she came to the conclusion I was calling her mother a liar, because her mother was the one who told her that.

That's when I really realized, exactly what you're saying. People don't consider the things they believe, the only consideration is who told them what, first.

We seem so eager to solidify something as fact the first time we hear it, especially if it's someone we respect, yet so hesitant to test if what we first learned was actually true or not. I suppose it's easier to live in willful ignorance then to accept the truths we've built our entire lives on may be wrong, or that the people we respect might actually, somehow be, a fallible human being.
Gold: 25.20
Mar 16 2017 01:26am
I noticed a lot on this forum that people don't ever want to actually discuss something. It's just about being right or wrong.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Mar 16 2017 01:46am
Quote (Beowulf @ 8 Mar 2017 03:57)
In my opinion,

that line is usually followed by some flat earth bs...
Gold: 260.11
Mar 16 2017 06:39am
It's too boring being serious all the time.
Gold: 119,903.34
Mar 16 2017 07:05am
That's how debates work. You attack the subject matter and the arguments.

There's a difference between attacking the person making the argument and attacking the argument itself.

If you can't handle someone being critical of your opinion, then you shouldn't be in a discussion.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll