d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > New Here
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.50
Mar 7 2017 10:45am
I'm sorry for posting this without doing enough research myself. I searched through the stickies of the section, but I honestly have no idea where to start. Currently, I'm 295 LB at 6'. Lately I decided I needed to start on the path to a healthier life. I was just wondering if anyone had any starting advice for workouts, meal ideas, or just basic information that can really help me in this situation. I live pretty far from any cities or towns with serious gyms, so I don't have much of an opportunity to try and talk to someone in person. Thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate any advice or starting points.
Gold: 1.00
Mar 7 2017 10:52am
You posted on the right section.

Pm tear for good advices.

Also Rewthebrave will prob post here and give you good advices.

This post was edited by Joeking on Mar 7 2017 10:52am
Gold: 5,284.73
Mar 7 2017 10:55am
weight loss is super simple, calories in can't exceed calories out basically.
so if you struggle with a strict diet, (i do) you can always just monitor what you eat and eat less of it

at the end of the day its only you vs you, so you get out what you're willing to put in

be consistent, and you'll see results.

you can always pm me (or others) and ask some basic questions you might be curious about.
once you start seeing results you'll become addicted and the rest is gravy.

good luck
Gold: 1.00
Mar 7 2017 11:02am
Quote (Tear @ Mar 7 2017 11:55am)
so if you struggle with a strict diet, (i do) you can always just monitor what you eat and eat less of it

at the end of the day its only you vs you, so you get out what you're willing to put in

you can always pm me (or others) and ask some basic questions you might be curious about.

good luck

See?

Told you he'd give advices !
Mar 7 2017 11:04am
Quote (Tear @ Mar 7 2017 12:55pm)

good luck

My only issue was I have never really decided it was time to fully commit to losing the weight. I personally have to have a pretty strict diet or I tend to fall back into the old rhythms.

The only other time I tried I got to 235 before I fell back into bad habits lol. I mostly ate bran cereal in the morning, salads for lunch, and small portions for dinner. I just wasn't sure if that was going to be the best course to take again. I have never really used a gym so I have no idea where to start there. I do appreciate it man.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 7 2017 11:06am
Start anywhere with anything. Literally, that's the biggest thing you need to know or do early on. Define specific goals. It doesn't have to be "I want to weigh 180 pounds" -- in fact, sometimes weight loss goals aren't sufficient goals and it would be better to have the goal "I want to feel more energetic". But it can be about weight loss if it motivates you. The point is to get to your purpose. Why do you want to lose that 115 pounds? That's what's going to keep you in the gym every day.

I understand that you're probably feeling uncertain going into all of this, but if you can figure out exactly what you want, it will be relatively easy for me/us to tell you what you need to do to get there.

What equipment do you have access to? How much are you willing to spend/do you have a budget?

Consider starting with daily walks, and also planks or possibly yoga -- if you aren't ready for push-ups, lifting weights, and so on. You're probably strong enough to manage some lifts, and as soon as possible, I encourage you to move to using barbells.

Walks eventually get longer and they turn into jogs and runs, and if you're a sick c*nt like me, hill sprints.

Just as lifting paint cans or dumbells can turn into a heavy bench or squat.

I have no information to help you until you can say more to specify what you want. Because you mentioned your weight, I'm under the impression that you want to lose some weight. As simple as it sounds, eating less is the way to start. I recommend cutting out all junk food, fast food, processed food, and packaged food, roughly in that order--but it doesn't matter if you cut out junk or fast food first. It's just that if you keep nasty food around the house, it's easy to just dump it. Increase water intake and fiber intake, especially in the morning. Increase protein and fat consumption (be careful to avoid animal fat and bad fats), decrease carbohydrate intake. Eat your veggies.

If you could flip all the way to eating 1.75 lbs of veggies every day, you would actually lower your chances for all causes of mortality--literally, every possible way you can die. That's the extreme spectrum. Also, don't beat yourself if you miss workout days or if you screw up in your diet. Just remind yourself of your purpose and move forward. You may be astonished at how much you can change in a year.

Please post with more information and with clear goals and I can return to help you out, from start to finish :) The guys in this forum are pretty good at helping out, and most of them will not start talking until you have specific goals or specific questions.

Oh, and take it upon yourself to learn everything you can about health and fitness. Watch motivational videos, and do whatever you can to find support and a community that can further your needs. If you have any doubts about being able to get whatever you want from your body and your life, put them aside right now. Everyone has greatness within. What matters is having the courage to let it all out and to stop getting in our own way. Consider that men like Gandhi, Arnold, Ali -- people whom the masses know and will remember by a single name -- are all just like you. Even those who started from privilege and changed the world did not meet success until or unless they found it in their own hearts. So what do you want to do with the time you have?

e: lol, I see that Tear got here first. That sexy bastard :) Alas,

Quote (Zerkerftw @ 7 Mar 2017 13:04)
My only issue was I have never really decided it was time to fully commit to losing the weight. I personally have to have a pretty strict diet or I tend to fall back into the old rhythms.

The only other time I tried I got to 235 before I fell back into bad habits lol. I mostly ate bran cereal in the morning, salads for lunch, and small portions for dinner. I just wasn't sure if that was going to be the best course to take again. I have never really used a gym so I have no idea where to start there. I do appreciate it man.

Habits take about 67 days to change--don't believe any of the guru bullsh*t that it takes only 14 or 21 days to change a habit. Habits need to be replaced, not just with better habits, but with better messages to the brain. Trust me, you DO NOT need a strict diet to avoid falling back into old rhythms. If you do, then tell me why that hasn't worked yet ;) Strict diets are great, but taking diet changes and exercises changes one step at a time is better. Those who impose strict regimens on themselves often can't keep them up, and they also tend to beat themselves up for little mistakes. Screw that. Just start. Do something. Tell yourself you're going to kick some serious butt. Keep telling yourslef that every day.

This post was edited by RewtheBrave on Mar 7 2017 11:12am
Mar 7 2017 11:35am
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Mar 7 2017 01:06pm)
Start anywhere with anything. Literally, that's the biggest thing you need to know or do early on. Define specific goals. It doesn't have to be "I want to weigh 180 pounds" -- in fact, sometimes weight loss goals aren't sufficient goals and it would be better to have the goal "I want to feel more energetic". But it can be about weight loss if it motivates you. The point is to get to your purpose. Why do you want to lose that 115 pounds? That's what's going to keep you in the gym every day.

I understand that you're probably feeling uncertain going into all of this, but if you can figure out exactly what you want, it will be relatively easy for me/us to tell you what you need to do to get there.

What equipment do you have access to? How much are you willing to spend/do you have a budget?

Consider starting with daily walks, and also planks or possibly yoga -- if you aren't ready for push-ups, lifting weights, and so on. You're probably strong enough to manage some lifts, and as soon as possible, I encourage you to move to using barbells.

Walks eventually get longer and they turn into jogs and runs, and if you're a sick c*nt like me, hill sprints.

Just as lifting paint cans or dumbells can turn into a heavy bench or squat.

I have no information to help you until you can say more to specify what you want. Because you mentioned your weight, I'm under the impression that you want to lose some weight. As simple as it sounds, eating less is the way to start. I recommend cutting out all junk food, fast food, processed food, and packaged food, roughly in that order--but it doesn't matter if you cut out junk or fast food first. It's just that if you keep nasty food around the house, it's easy to just dump it. Increase water intake and fiber intake, especially in the morning. Increase protein and fat consumption (be careful to avoid animal fat and bad fats), decrease carbohydrate intake. Eat your veggies.

If you could flip all the way to eating 1.75 lbs of veggies every day, you would actually lower your chances for all causes of mortality--literally, every possible way you can die. That's the extreme spectrum. Also, don't beat yourself if you miss workout days or if you screw up in your diet. Just remind yourself of your purpose and move forward. You may be astonished at how much you can change in a year.

Please post with more information and with clear goals and I can return to help you out, from start to finish :) The guys in this forum are pretty good at helping out, and most of them will not start talking until you have specific goals or specific questions.

Oh, and take it upon yourself to learn everything you can about health and fitness. Watch motivational videos, and do whatever you can to find support and a community that can further your needs. If you have any doubts about being able to get whatever you want from your body and your life, put them aside right now. Everyone has greatness within. What matters is having the courage to let it all out and to stop getting in our own way. Consider that men like Gandhi, Arnold, Ali -- people whom the masses know and will remember by a single name -- are all just like you. Even those who started from privilege and changed the world did not meet success until or unless they found it in their own hearts. So what do you want to do with the time you have?

My main my goal for the moment is to start feeling better in general, physically and aesthetically. I guess my current weigh goal is 250 lbs to start, but work down to the low 200s. Currently, I have access to the local gym that basically only has minimum weights, some treadmills, basketball court, and some other exercise machines (most being weight based) that I personally don't know the name of off the top of my head. We are converting our extra room into an exercise room (Treadmill, weight bench, and some barbells). My current budget is around $300 (This is after the exercise room equipment is taken out) to start and around $100 a week. I already have a food budget that I will be switching for more healthy choices so probably closer to $150-175 a week total budget. I'm sorry for not posting this information sooner. I wasn't completely sure what all to post. Thank you so much for the help!
Gold: 3,375.01
Mar 7 2017 12:16pm
My advice is to find a really good trainer or coach who you can train with for the first 1-2 months. This way you don't go through all the time to figure out how to do exercises properly. It's worth the money.
Gold: 5,284.73
Mar 7 2017 12:19pm
Quote (dirTyMan @ Mar 7 2017 02:16pm)
My advice is to find a really good trainer or coach who you can train with for the first 1-2 months. This way you don't go through all the time to figure out how to do exercises properly. It's worth the money.

just ask for help from someone who seems approachable at the gym .
happens to me all the time.

no one cares, save your 500-1000$ and just ask
plus making friends in the gym is always a bonus
Gold: 3,375.01
Mar 7 2017 12:34pm
Quote (Tear @ Mar 7 2017 11:19am)
just ask for help from someone who seems approachable at the gym .
happens to me all the time.

no one cares, save your 500-1000$ and just ask
plus making friends in the gym is always a bonus

I disagree, even big guys don't always have a clue and could be performing exercises improperly. A regular isn't going to be able to point out of if one if your feet is turning out because of your tight lateral gastroc and then prescribe you with exercises to correct your issues.

This post was edited by dirTyMan on Mar 7 2017 12:40pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll