d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Does Smoking Cause Cancer?
Prev1131415
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Mar 14 2017 05:14pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 14 2017 01:02pm)
I didn't look at the article, I just assumed you weren't a liar and took you at face value.

The article talks about the study but i havent seen the study - they dont talk about that or where to find it, It might even say something completely different - I know they do that all the time.

I saw a show recently about big tobacco and how they think the future of smoking is in vaping so their going to come out with propaganda saying how great it is, and i know that magazine - the Sun has a lot of right wing bent - and exactly what are "cancer causing agents" - did these people also stop eating potato chips too - who knows - and this is how science works these days - they often just agree with industry - or whoever is paying them to do the study and want a certain result.

Remember years ago they were saying how healthy smoking and sugar are - i mean really - not all science is actually science.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Mar 14 2017 05:17pm
Gold: 285.00
Mar 14 2017 05:27pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Mar 14 2017 06:14pm)
Remember years ago they were saying how healthy smoking and sugar are - i mean really - not all science is actually science.

Have you ever read Science in Action or heard of Bruno Latour? It would be interesting to you.

He says science is war now and has nothing to do with finding the truth anymore. I'm inclined to agree. There are scientists who are looking for truths out there, but science as a whole is different now.

Look at all the scientific racism over the years that has been debunked....the bell curve etc.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 14 2017 05:27pm
Gold: 260.11
Mar 14 2017 05:36pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 14 2017 05:27pm)
Have you ever read Science in Action or heard of Bruno Latour? It would be interesting to you.

He says science is war now and has nothing to do with finding the truth anymore. I'm inclined to agree. There are scientists who are looking for truths out there, but science as a whole is different now.

Look at all the scientific racism over the years that has been debunked....the bell curve etc.

I'd say the ones practicing science are, on the whole, looking for truths. The big issue is funding agencies and journals. They have essentially turned away from pure science.

Journals especially only want to publish interesting results to get subscriptions and fees for article submissions. The problem with that is interesting ideas tend to be wrong. Not every scientist can revolutionize their field, most science is stamp collecting that makes revolution possible.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Mar 14 2017 05:36pm
Mar 14 2017 05:38pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 14 2017 06:36pm)
I'd say the ones practicing science are, on the whole, looking for truths. The big issue is funding agencies and journals. They have essentially turned away from pure science.

Journals especially only want to publish interesting results to get subscriptions and fees for article submissions. The problem with that is interesting ideas tend to be wrong. Not every scientist can revolutionize their field, most science is stamp collecting that makes revolution possible.

Science is too expensive. They can't own their own labs as well. Lab owners are business people focused on patents, etc.

Yeah i agree with your assessment.
Gold: 260.11
Mar 14 2017 05:45pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 14 2017 05:38pm)
Science is too expensive. They can't own their own labs as well. Lab owners are business people focused on patents, etc.

Yeah i agree with your assessment.

Unfortunately all the easy science has been done. It's hard to do science at my university with new professors because they only get 60,000 to start their lab, which is basically nothing. They end up having to do the equivilant of Craigslist hunting for lab equipment. That's fine for some, bit you can't exactly find a discount fluorescence microscope for examining traflicking in cells.
Mar 14 2017 05:49pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 14 2017 06:45pm)
Unfortunately all the easy science has been done. It's hard to do science at my university with new professors because they only get 60,000 to start their lab, which is basically nothing. They end up having to do the equivilant of Craigslist hunting for lab equipment. That's fine for some, bit you can't exactly find a discount fluorescence microscope for examining traflicking in cells.

https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-Fluorescence-Microscope-Multi-filter-Ultra-sensative/dp/B06XFKJP6D/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1489535324&sr=8-9&keywords=fluorescence+microscope

I'd get this one, good sale right now.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Mar 14 2017 08:03pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 14 2017 01:27pm)

No i havent read that but im sure its something like this classic movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044876/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_54

The Man in the White Suit (1951) -Alec Guiness comedy-drama-sci-fi

An altruistic chemist invents a fabric which resists wear and stain as a boon to humanity, but both big business and labor realize it must be suppressed for economic reasons.

Great movie because it talks about why technology is suppressed. People wonder why aren't we flying around in jetson cars yet, hmm i wonder.....
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1131415
Add Reply New Topic New Poll