d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Let's Talk About "fake News"
Prev1234536Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 57.00
Gold: 10.77
Mar 1 2017 08:52pm
Saw this news cycle about how scary it is that Trump is talking about a "one party" system, he's a fascist yadda yadda. Watched the Fox and Friends interview and he literally says he thinks it's good to have many ideas from both sides but the Democrats are messing up so much that it looks like we're moving to a one party system, implying voters are abandoning the other party, not that he wants to consolidate power.

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Mar 1 2017 08:55pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 2 2017 01:18am
Quote (fender @ Mar 1 2017 03:14pm)
i think the issue here is that he tweets and talks about attacks (real or not) by muslims all the time, but when it comes to right wing terrorism (like the mosque shooting in quebec) and anti-semitic acts, he's quiet and only speaks out against it when pressured into making a statement.

i personally don't believe that trump is an anti-semite, but i DO think he's aware that such bigots and racist are a significant part of his voter base, so he only talks about it when specifically asked...

Trump ignores many important things on his twitter account. I just looked at all his tweets since he was inaugurated, and the main themes are his meetings at the White House, job creation, defense of his hold on immigration from certain countries, and attacking the media. Besides defending his immigration hold, he practically never mentions radical Islamic terrorism. He should use his twitter account for more honorable things like mentioning the Quebec attack, although Sean Spicer commented on it at the time and Trump called Trudeau as well if I remember correctly.

That's the standard liberal talking point, and it's silly. Frankly, you don't even live in America so you're about as informed on Trump voters as someone who lives in New York City or San Francisco. I happen to live in a state where Trump won by 42%. Trump doesn't mention the anti-Semitic things happening because there's no debate on whether or not those things are bad, and he's not facing any legislative/judicial hurdles related to those attacks. He's rightly asked about them, and he rightly condemns them. Trump didn't have to open his speech to Congress by mentioning those hateful occurrences, but he did.

The best evidence liberals have that Trump's administration caters to anti-Semites is Steve Bannon's employment, because he ran a website where a Jew wrote an article with a provocative headline calling a neo-conservative a renegade Jew(for somewhat reasonable reasons from his perspective). People who care about truth and who aren't blinded by ideology know these things are silly.

This post was edited by IceMage on Mar 2 2017 01:25am
Gold: 70.00
Mar 2 2017 02:05am
Fake news narratives are a direct attack at our Freedoms to Speech as well as Press. They're being used to confuse the public to such a point that the majority will be okay with streamlining journalism through a "reputable" group in attempt to curb propagandized "fake" news.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Mar 2 2017 04:23am
Quote (IceMage @ 2 Mar 2017 08:18)
Trump ignores many important things on his twitter account. I just looked at all his tweets since he was inaugurated, and the main themes are his meetings at the White House, job creation, defense of his hold on immigration from certain countries, and attacking the media. Besides defending his immigration hold, he practically never mentions radical Islamic terrorism. He should use his twitter account for more honorable things like mentioning the Quebec attack, although Sean Spicer commented on it at the time and Trump called Trudeau as well if I remember correctly.

That's the standard liberal talking point, and it's silly. Frankly, you don't even live in America so you're about as informed on Trump voters as someone who lives in New York City or San Francisco. I happen to live in a state where Trump won by 42%. Trump doesn't mention the anti-Semitic things happening because there's no debate on whether or not those things are bad, and he's not facing any legislative/judicial hurdles related to those attacks. He's rightly asked about them, and he rightly condemns them. Trump didn't have to open his speech to Congress by mentioning those hateful occurrences, but he did.

The best evidence liberals have that Trump's administration caters to anti-Semites is Steve Bannon's employment, because he ran a website where a Jew wrote an article with a provocative headline calling a neo-conservative a renegade Jew(for somewhat reasonable reasons from his perspective). People who care about truth and who aren't blinded by ideology know these things are silly.

interesting how you conveniently ignored HALF of my point: i said he tweets AND TALKS about muslim attacks all the time while largely ignoring right wing and anti-semitic attacks as long as he's not asked. but even about the tweets you're wrong, sorry:

@realDonaldTrump

A new radical Islamic terrorist has just attacked in Louvre Museum in Paris. Tourists were locked down. France on edge again. GET SMART U.S.

@realDonaldTrump

Our country needs strong borders and extreme vetting, NOW. Look what is happening all over Europe and, indeed, the world - a horrible mess!

@realDonaldTrump

Christians in the Middle-East have been executed in large numbers. We cannot allow this horror to continue!

@realDonaldTrump

The threat from radical Islamic terrorism is very real, just look at what is happening in Europe and the Middle-East. Courts must act fast!

and that doesn't even cover all the times he tweeted about how "bad" the "criminals" crossing the borders (muslims, mexicans, refugees...) are, there's plenty of that as well.
when right wing terrorists and nutjobs attack mosques / community centres / cemetaries / shoot brown ppl, however... nothing until he's specifically asked.

like i already said, i don't believe him to be an anti-semite, but plz don't act like it's not true that he rather focuses on brown ppl's "crimes", it's so obvious. again, not all trump supporters are bigots, but the vast majority of bigots support trump.
Gold: 8,933.00
Mar 2 2017 05:34am
Quote (Scaly @ Feb 28 2017 08:53pm)
Well exactly.

Honestly the whole fake news thing is just another example of the right's favourite argument 'I know you are but what am I?'. The left started the fake news conversation and now it's the right's main criticism of the left.
Trump won a campaign on it. Trump's a liar and a fraud? Crooked Hillary.

There was another example the other day as well but I forget what it was...

Honestly... when this is the state of political discourse there's not much I can think of that will change things short of something cataclysmic... or just time. When the democrats regain power we may be able to have a proper discussion again.

"Crooked Hillary" isn't fake news. There's a reason the regularly scheduled foreign donations to her foundation dried up and they shutter the doors permanently in another 6 weeks.
Gold: 9.00
Mar 2 2017 06:14am
Trump wants unity, he says, but he is waging war in his own nation. The tone is so scary.
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 2 2017 07:11am
Quote (fender @ Mar 2 2017 05:23am)
interesting how you conveniently ignored HALF of my point: i said he tweets AND TALKS about muslim attacks all the time while largely ignoring right wing and anti-semitic attacks as long as he's not asked. but even about the tweets you're wrong, sorry:

@realDonaldTrump

A new radical Islamic terrorist has just attacked in Louvre Museum in Paris. Tourists were locked down. France on edge again. GET SMART U.S.

@realDonaldTrump

Our country needs strong borders and extreme vetting, NOW. Look what is happening all over Europe and, indeed, the world - a horrible mess!

@realDonaldTrump

Christians in the Middle-East have been executed in large numbers. We cannot allow this horror to continue!

@realDonaldTrump

The threat from radical Islamic terrorism is very real, just look at what is happening in Europe and the Middle-East. Courts must act fast!

and that doesn't even cover all the times he tweeted about how "bad" the "criminals" crossing the borders (muslims, mexicans, refugees...) are, there's plenty of that as well.
when right wing terrorists and nutjobs attack mosques / community centres / cemetaries / shoot brown ppl, however... nothing until he's specifically asked.

like i already said, i don't believe him to be an anti-semite, but plz don't act like it's not true that he rather focuses on brown ppl's "crimes", it's so obvious. again, not all trump supporters are bigots, but the vast majority of bigots support trump.

2 of those tweets are a defense of his travel hold, and one is just talking about Christian persecution. Of course he'll talk about the porous border, one of his central campaign promises was to secure the border.

If a bunch of Jews got shot up in their place of worship without a doubt Donald would comment/tweet on it. He's commented many times on the anti-Semitic acts, VP Pence got sent to the graveyard where it happened, and the only people who don't think that's enough are MSM/liberal types who have a preconceived notion that Trump won the election because he pandered to racists/anti-Semites. He literally just commented on the hateful actions yet you are here saying it's not enough. That's why you and others on this board can't be taken seriously to give Trump a fair shake, whatever he does will be twisted into something negative.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 2 2017 07:40am
Quote (Santara @ 2 Mar 2017 11:34)
"Crooked Hillary" isn't fake news. There's a reason the regularly scheduled foreign donations to her foundation dried up and they shutter the doors permanently in another 6 weeks.

I didn't say it was. I said it was an example of the childish 'i know you are but what am I ' tactic the right, and especially Trump, is currently employing. A childish tactic that a huge amount of Americans fell for too. I don't know how many times and from how many different sources I heard 'They're as bad as eachother' during the campaign.

This post was edited by Scaly on Mar 2 2017 07:41am
Gold: 57.00
Mar 2 2017 08:02am

Wapo at it again. #fakenews
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234536Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll