d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Let's Talk About "fake News"
Prev1121314151636Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 83.30
Apr 3 2017 06:04am

Remember Reddit's Boston Bomber fiasco after all.

Every time some of these YouTube people call themselves "Media" I think of that. It also reminds me of the early 2000s when blogs called themselves "New Journalism."

People. Never. Fucking. Learn no matter how hard they get burnt over and over and over. These "new media" people don't belong to any professional association. They don't have to abide by any journalistic code of ethics decided by their profession. They never trained to be journalists. Hey guess what it turns out that shit matters? And when you DON'T have any of that, Jayson Blairs become the rule instead of the exception, and when they're caught they hide behind "But I'm Not A Rapper" until people stop paying attention and then they go back to playing Internet Pixel Detective.

None of these people are worthy of any more repute than their $20 Amazon mics. "New Media" isn't even really news, it's just an online transposition of shock-jock op-edding that has been shitting on our public discourse since Rush took over radio in the late eighties.

To all supporters of Ethan I have a simple question, what should the career consequences be for this slander and witch-hunt he started against this reporter (and still has not fully retracted)?

Cuz if your answer is "Ethan doesn't have to do shit, it was just an understandable mistake," then you aren't actually holding Ethan to the standards of journalism. You're just holding him up as your hero because he reifies a momentary, convenient narrative that's only motivated by your stupid, identitarian loyalties. This cancer has taken over our media, sure it all started with FOX in the '90s but at this point it's metastasized so hard that an entire generation is infected from left to right. You could probably find the exact same posters slamming WSJ for "attacking Youtube" in /r/videos and then see them upvoting WSJ articles in /r/politics because they "attack Trump." Whatever serves the narrative must be true and doublethinking a source to be brilliant investigative journalism and tabloid garbage, in the exact same issue, depending on which headline you're reading, is now apparently an effortless feat for most of America.

It's all become a search for that sweet sweet BTFO. SJWs Cucked! Trump Obliterated! Maddow Eviscerates! Jon Stewart was making fun of it 10 years ago, but now it's our entire media culture. "Consider the source" no longer exists. It was blasted into fucking oblivion by Twitter and by Reddit and by Youtube and by Blogger and yes, however much you post-millennials might resist it, by the sad attributionary-equivalent-of-a-fucking-hangnail that is Wikipedia. The concept of credible vs tabloid media, of news vs editorial, of FACTS vs hallucinatory nonsense, aaaaall evaporates behind the only markers that matter on a newspiece anymore: WHAT'S THE NARRATIVE and WHO ARE WE STRINGING UP. The exact same Media Obscurantism ("Ya can't trust anybody, it's all profit driven, and everyone has been discredited at one point or another!") that people are replying to THIS POST with in droves, is nothing but a pathetic excuse for only believing the headlines that reify your biases. The same Redditors who are lightning quick to point out a story they don't like is sourced anonymously, then turn around and post a fucking Google translate of a Wordpress blog hosted in Neo-Elbonia as proof of a far reaching international conspiracy.

And so an august national paper, one of America's top three papers of record, an institution that - whatever you think of its op-ed page - has been doing hard hitting, truly investigative, truly accountability-creating journalism since before most of Reddit first masturbated to Minecraft Creeper Rule 34, this paper that prints news is now considered to be no more trustworthy than some dickbag's Youtube channel for creating neoconfederate AMV's, all because the latter is siding with your two favorite Content CreatorsTM and their FUCKING GANG BEAST LET'S PLAYS AND VAPE NATION PARODIES.

We as a citizenry are so fucking beyond saving when it comes to truth as a public, civic concept. The Donald people are just ahead of the curve.

I gotta say that this is a pretty accurate description of modern internet media and its perception by young folks.
Gold: 25.20
Apr 3 2017 10:29am
Quote (balrog66 @ Apr 3 2017 06:04am)
I gotta say that this is a pretty accurate description of modern internet media and its perception by young folks.

Damn that was a good read
Gold: 14.88
Apr 3 2017 10:47am
Quote (IceMage @ Mar 31 2017 08:19am)
My point was more about how the traditional powerhouses of media(NYT, WaPo) are usually breaking the most relevant stories.

As far as your question, I like some leaking. I don't want CIA methods leaked, I don't want the NSA's mass data collection program leaked, but if White House officials were the source of the new material given to Nunes, I'm glad that was leaked. More pressure on the people running the investigation benefits the country.

If the NYT reporting is correct, it seems appropriate that Nunes was given that information. I don't know why he would go back to the White House though...

tl;dr

"I only like leaks when they hurt Drumpf! NOT MY PRESIDENT! MYH PARTY OF LINCOLN! REEEEE"

Jsp's Morning Jo(k)e.
Gold: 9,484.00
Apr 3 2017 07:44pm
Quote (Senor Beowulfo @ Mor 26 2017 33.2 zorkons past morn bell)
gracias senor! best parallel universe timeline here!

I responded to the carrier pigeon a week later and a few minutes after I read it's scroll, so you holofaxed a quote from a 6 year old everquest trading emporium

bueno adroit

Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 26 2017 12:45pm)
then I also hopped into my delorean so I could respond to a post you're going to make a month from now, you might have noticed if you read post dates

future-you asked me to warn present-you not to visit the oldoygypsy hag in the woods

Lmao i don't know what you do for a living but i'm fairly certain you could write professionally. That senor beowulfo quote is literary gold.

Gold: 57.00
Apr 3 2017 09:16pm
Buzzfeed 2.0 and politico have yet to cover #ricegate, this was more important breaking news

Gold: 3,047.00
Apr 3 2017 10:02pm
Quote (excellence @ Apr 3 2017 11:16pm)
Buzzfeed 2.0 and politico have yet to cover #ricegate, this was more important breaking news

https://i.imgur.com/C6EnQGs.jpg

I had to check because I was hoping it really was fake

exxon mobil has been spamming commercials like this pushing equal representation in engineering jobs

This post was edited by terry on Apr 3 2017 10:03pm
Gold: 0.00
Apr 3 2017 10:29pm
Quote (excellence @ 4 Apr 2017 03:16)

https://i.imgur.com/C6EnQGs.jpg

'Ricegate' lol. You're hilarious.
Gold: 22,189.49
Apr 4 2017 12:42am
This is what happens when you go full propaganda mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2piBG0yC40

"Sources: Unmasking allegation is false"

"The idea that ambassador Rice improperly sought the identities of Americans is false, there is nothing unusual about making these requests when serving as a senior national security official whether Democrat or Republican"

Max spin cycle
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 4 2017 05:28am
Quote (Goomshill @ Apr 4 2017 01:42am)
This is what happens when you go full propaganda mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2piBG0yC40

"Sources: Unmasking allegation is false"

Max spin cycle

Looks like Pollster inb4'd all you cucks:

Quote (Pollster @ Mar 23 2017 04:19pm)
Unmasking isn't abnormal in of itself, if it lends further context then it's routine. Until we actually get real information it would seem the only person who acted inappropriately in this case was Nunes, because not only did he potentially release classified information but he involved the White House in an ongoing investigation in which its the subject.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 4 2017 05:30am
Gold: 57.00
Apr 4 2017 07:00am
Quote (IceMage @ 4 Apr 2017 07:28)
Looks like Pollster inb4'd all you cucks:

yeah hes been so solid with his interpretation of how events will go in the past.

that notwithstanding:

If its "no problem" why the bold faced denial

>3-4 weeks past: lol trump/trump team wasnt spied on
>now: govt agencies were just doing their job its all legit cuz they said it was legit and the media said it was legit

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1121314151636Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll