d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Anime > Anime Similar To Welcome To The Nhk? > Anime
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,046.53
Feb 24 2017 12:14am
Honestly have yet to enjoy a show since Welcome to the NHK which was about 8 months ago, and I've watched plenty. I've gone through some of the shows on the recommendation list on IMDB & MAL but have not enjoyed anything remotely close to it. Just wondering, does anyone have recommendations that fall under the same umbrella?
Some of the one's I watched: Serial Experiments Lain, Kaiba, FLCL, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Gold: 11,950.57
Feb 24 2017 03:30am
It's hard to know what you liked about Welcome to the NHK so i can't really say what similarities you're looking for lol

but i'll just throw out steins:gate as a recommendation cuz it's a good show
Feb 24 2017 11:13pm
Quote (Ensane @ 24 Feb 2017 10:30)
It's hard to know what you liked about Welcome to the NHK so i can't really say what similarities you're looking for lol

but i'll just throw out steins:gate as a recommendation cuz it's a good show

Haha, definitely would have been a good idea if I just came out and mentioned the specifics, however I LOVED the show in general and every aspect of it which is why I initially didn't and left it in the open. Steins;Gate is actually my favorite show of all time good looks!

If I had to narrow it down, the psychological aspect of the show, the drama incorporated and how dark the show was, yet comedy was perfectly placed and transitioned between scenes. I realize most dramatic anime mixes the darker/emotional side with comedy but they are rarely ever done like Welcome to the NHK. For example, Shigatsu/Your Lie in April, I thought did a horrible job in blending the two together and the comedy wasn't even funny in my opinion. It was not synced together very well where you would have one moment where Kousei is telling a depressing story followed by Kaori or Tsubaki slapping/hitting him, it just ruins the moment.

Another aspect I liked was the dynamic between the characters, and not just the two leads. I thought it was PHENOMENAL. Satou being the main string, Misaki, Hitomi, and Yamazaki. The supporting characters were also brilliant (specifically the suicide offline meeting group - suicide), though I have a small gripe with that as well and it was that they weren't as fleshed out as they could be, could have dragged out into a few more episodes as the characters were likable. A lot of the characters were also so damn relatable and reminded me of everyday life and the people you come in contact with. You actually care about what happens with them and how they will end up. I think that's the most important thing, if the characters are relatable OR likable, you feel connected to them, regardless if theirs flaws within the characters or not such as development.

The music was excellent, it was placed perfectly within the scenes and the transitions. From the depressing melodies to the brighter charismatic sounds. These aren't amazing tracks as stand alone songs, but maaaan do they fit in with the scenes, it was beautiful. Kind of reminds me of Cowboy Bebop and their music incorporation (not music wise as Bebop shits on most anime's soundtrack, but the way they used the music as a tool to tell the story & aid in the atmosphere in the scenes).

So in Summary,
The psychological aspect - the drama & the darker side of human emotion & isolation. All this while blending in comedy at the right time, and the comedy actually being GOOD.
The relatable characters and how likable they were, the leads & supporting. The dynamic between the characters which gives you a sense of attachment & caring for what happens with them
Allowing the music to be used as a tool in telling the story, adding atmosphere, and emotion within the scenes.

Gold: 11,950.57
Feb 26 2017 02:02am
I think most of these shows are ones that you might like, though for hxh it doesn't start off very dark or psychological

Hunter x Hunter

full metal alchemist brotherhood

Monster

mushishi

If you are willing to read manga then I recommend

Oyasumi Punpun

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria- this one is a light novel but it can easily be found online
Gold: 4.01
Feb 26 2017 06:17am
Bleach
Feb 26 2017 04:34pm
Quote (Ensane @ 26 Feb 2017 09:02)
I think most of these shows are ones that you might like, though for hxh it doesn't start off very dark or psychological

Hunter x Hunter

full metal alchemist brotherhood

Monster

mushishi

If you are willing to read manga then I recommend

Oyasumi Punpun

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria- this one is a light novel but it can easily be found online

I've only seen HxH out of this list.. I been meaning to get into FMA and it's sequel (brotherhood) but tend to stick to watching the anime shows that don't exceed 24 episodes (outside of Naruto, One Piece). I always hear about the worldwide acclaim it receives so it's definitely on my watch list. The reason being is based on my viewing preference, I dislike fillers (Naruto at fault here and other short anime's that fail to execute on consistent plot direction) and love when a show can come together cohesively and it all makes sense, with each episode tying into the next and so forth.
I've heard of Monster years back but it never sparked my interest until now when I read the synopsis of the show. Thanks for reminding me that this show existed lol and based on what I've read and the reviews, I'm surprised I haven't watched it yet to be honest.
As for Mushishi, I'm glad you mentioned this because my friend was also telling me to watch this show a few months back. The concept is definitely interesting and it's actually on my watch list after Mirai Nikki/Future Diary. Looking forward to this show

Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely watch all three sometime this year (though I will probably hold off FMA until summer when I have more time and not so stressed with school). Honestly, Monster seems so damn interesting and I'm even debating if I want to watch that before Mushishi now, but probably won't due to it's length but who knows.

Quote (Jasen_Vorhaust @ 26 Feb 2017 13:17)
Bleach

Not really interested in watching another shonnen series based on some of my gripes above with the longer series (being inconsistent in storytelling, unnecessary fillers, and just length in general). Also does Bleach really touch on all the aspects I pointed up above? I've seen a few of the fight scenes of the first couple seasons and they were awesome, but in regards to the plot and themes, and deep analysis of the characters of the show I have no idea.
Gold: 494,003.48
Warn: 60%
Feb 26 2017 07:07pm
FMA Brotherhood is not a sequel, it's the same story reworked. Except it's generally considered better than the original. If you have to choose, definately watch Brotherhood.
Also it's a must see. 64 episodes without any(major) fillers, you will probably marathon this, is that good.

Also if you have seen the original HxH, the 2011 one goes further with the manga content, chimera arc is probably the best arc in HxH and you should at least watch it from where the original series left it.

Another nice anime that you might like is Toradora.

This post was edited by Lupshy on Feb 26 2017 07:10pm
Feb 26 2017 09:31pm
Quote (Lupshy @ 27 Feb 2017 02:07)
FMA Brotherhood is not a sequel, it's the same story reworked. Except it's generally considered better than the original. If you have to choose, definately watch Brotherhood.
Also it's a must see. 64 episodes without any(major) fillers, you will probably marathon this, is that good.

Also if you have seen the original HxH, the 2011 one goes further with the manga content, chimera arc is probably the best arc in HxH and you should at least watch it from where the original series left it.

Another nice anime that you might like is Toradora.

Oh, this whole time I completely thought Brotherhood was a sequel to the already 51 episode FMA which is why I've held it off.. good to know. Wait so there really isn't a point in watching FMA at all then? Will I miss out on anything if I just jump to Brotherhood? Such as character development, the overall story or little remarks I won't understand. I don't mind watching both eventually though it will hold off until the summer, but if there isn't a point then I'll just jump into Brotherhood from the get go. Yeah I'm ecstatic to be honest knowing that I have yet to see one of the most respected shows out there and it's ranked #2 on MAL.. Really hope it blows my mind and it exceeds all the expectations I have on it.

I've seen the 2011 HxH.
Yes I've seen Toradora, I'd say its under the same branch as Clannad/After Story, Angel Beats & Shigatsu though, more of a slice of life than one that looks into the deeper being of human nature and introspection.

Thanks for info
Gold: 494,003.48
Warn: 60%
Feb 26 2017 10:46pm
No, you`re not missing anything. You can watch FMA after Brotherhood if you liked it enough to do so, just to see the differences. Brotherhood is the more detailed and closer to the manga version.
Go Back To Anime Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll