d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Laptop Can't Play Games On Charger > Fps Drops 4x
12Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 41.50
Feb 22 2017 04:01pm
Been playing ps1 games on my laptop lately, and my specs are far above and beyond what would be needed for playing psx games from the early 90s. Lately my computer lags to the point of fps dropping from 90 down to 10~15 fps on average and games are 100% unplayable. This only occurs while the laptop is plugged in to the charger and the changes in performance are INSTANT, like plug it in and 1 second later there are issues, unplug it and it speeds up to 5x the fps instantly. Looked around google and nothing I've found has worked. All drivers are fully up to date as well as the bios, all I've seen suggested so far is my adapter is putting out too low of wattage, which is very possible because it stops charging and says "pc plugged in, not charging" when scrolling over the battery icon. I have to unplug it and plug it in multiple times over an hour to get the battery to 100% and then the only way I can play games is to leave it on battery and play until it needs another charge which is far from optimal. However the adapter I'm using is the one that came with the laptop and all these issues are less than a week old. The laptop is less than 2 years old and still under warranty. Looking for anyone who's solved a similar issue that has advice, also wondering if I could send my laptop in on warranty and just get a new one for free? I only use it for gaming and it is essentially trash in it's current state.

Also worth noting for whatever reason the problem is limited to games only, I browse the web and watch movies on the charger and everything is fine but games are all unplayable, over 50 different games, some emulated, some in browser, some on steam, all have the same performance issues while plugged in.

Update: Don't think it can be an adapter issue, battery says 40wh, and adapter is 65w. Also took the battery out completely and have now been on my laptop for 10 minutes with no battery and just the adapter providing power and there hasn't been any problems with it cutting off and shutting down.

This post was edited by UmphreysMcgee420 on Feb 22 2017 04:25pm
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Feb 22 2017 04:25pm
Have you changed your graphics drivers to "performance" while plugged in? Google how to do this. I'd send you a link, but on my phone and at work atm.
Feb 22 2017 04:29pm
Quote (Floozy @ 22 Feb 2017 16:25)
Have you changed your graphics drivers to "performance" while plugged in? Google how to do this. I'd send you a link, but on my phone and at work atm.

I believe everything was initially on "balanced" but a few days ago I installed razer cortex, a game boosting software, and when it's active all my drivers and power settings are set to high performance in any multimedia situation. When I downloaded this software a couple days ago I also cleaned up registries, ran a defrag, and cleared all duplicate files/cookies/etc. I was able to run games on the charger for about 40 minutes perfectly then the problems suddenly just came back.

Just checked and even without the software running I had it set at maximum performance while plugged in.

This post was edited by UmphreysMcgee420 on Feb 22 2017 04:32pm
Feb 22 2017 04:45pm
Can't edit 1st post, it appears the option of it being an adapter problem is completely off the table. Completely removed my ACPI driver from the laptop and let windows re-install it and now my laptop is properly charging while plugged in. The fps drops are still there though. Everything is set to high performance, bios and all drivers are fully up to date. Maybe a bios reset? Or does anyone have experience/input on manually changing the P0-P7 power states of the cpu? Running out of ideas here D:

To harma, all power options have been customized for a while things are either set to balanced or high performance when plugged in and on battery, I don't have any power save options on. Also I definitely notice more lag when it's running hot but the problems are still there and quite severe when it's running cool. I can have the laptop off for over a day just boot it up and have it running cool on a cooling pad and still have the major fps drop in game, it's not just lag spikes either the games will steadily run with hardly any fps the whole time the charger is plugged in. I use a cooling pad set up on top of weights (like actual metal weights for dumbbells) and this keeps the laptop very cool most all the time and still have no luck with playing games.

This post was edited by UmphreysMcgee420 on Feb 22 2017 04:59pm
Gold: 248,598.85
Feb 22 2017 04:51pm
Probably overheat issues when u surged everything to max
Also I would suspect as stated earlier power saver mode when plugged in

This post was edited by harmacintyre on Feb 22 2017 04:52pm
Gold: 66,160.96
Feb 22 2017 06:13pm
My guess would be an overheating issue even though I did read what you said.
I'm no where near a computer hardware expert though. Good luck on this though.
Gold: 17,400.00
Feb 22 2017 06:24pm
Quote (harmacintyre @ Feb 22 2017 06:51pm)
Probably overheat issues when u surged everything to max
Also I would suspect as stated earlier power saver mode when plugged in

Quote (Focussed @ Feb 22 2017 08:13pm)
My guess would be an overheating issue even though I did read what you said.
I'm no where near a computer hardware expert though. Good luck on this though.

Was thinking this aswell.
Gold: 45.00
Feb 22 2017 06:52pm
Is your battery plugged into the laptop while your are on the charger? If yes try removing the battery and using the charger then with no battery inside. Could potentially cut the heat down a lot. GL
Feb 22 2017 07:18pm
Still lags with no battery in and the problem is completely going on when the computer is running cool, it is not an overheating problem. :/
Gold: 17,400.00
Feb 22 2017 09:30pm
Hmm sorry if i missed this but have task manager open while playing game before charging. Then plug in charger and see if there is a spike in cpu% usage. Other than that all i can suggest is call manufacturer see what they say.
Go Back To General Help Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic