d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Trade Interface
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Feb 15 2017 06:09pm
to start off, i've had this posted in programmer's haven to ask about how simple this would be. i'm still not sure but the couple replies i received used were like "simple" and "just". i'm going to try the suggestion as a rough draft to get some feedback about refining this idea if it's accepted.
this suggestion may be a bit more work than anyone coding the site may want to put in. i'm afraid the only coding knowledge i have was from getting a bit advanced in minecraft. so ya, none. i also may be using words incorrectly due to my lack of knowledge. please try to keep the picture in mind more than a technical detail.
this is a long read, it covers multiple steps of an overall idea.

my suggestion is a trade interface for this site. so many scams due to small missing pieces of evidence, or just lack of knowledge on what steps to take for safe trading.
this trade interface would be opened by a user. that user would fill out all necessary info for a trade into the respective tabs. (requested trade user name/items or fg being traded out/items or fg requested/optional notes/etc. etc. can fine-tune)
the requested user would receive either a pm or separate solution that there is a trade request. this could be accessed in same pm or w/e. when accessed, all current info will be disclosed and user will have to reply checking "accept trade" box, along with adding necessary info like char name and game name and pass. a separate check box could be added to politely "decline trade" (or just ignore it in total). another box could be added to check "alter trade".

no matter the box you check, just so long as you fill in all the needed boxes for that option, a pm or equivalent would be sent back. ("accept" must have char name, or similar identifying method, entering game or it stays grayed out i.e.)
if there was an alteration, the process repeats back to the original user that sent request. if everything was filled out correctly and accepted, a finalized form would be sent to both users without any ability to edit further.
this form could be directed to moderators for mediated trades. this would help save them quite a bit of time as all info would be gathered at the time of request. they would not have to deal with the multiple pm's back and forth to both users in trade. it wouldn't erase pm's but definitely cut them down for mods.

this idea does need a lot of fine-tuning. not all transactions on this site are purely through game scenario. this interface of course would be optional. it would set an easy guideline to to new members of what is actually needed as proof for safer trading on this site.
i'd imagine the organization of info should keep many trades just as speedy to setup as they are by word. only a lot easier on the mind knowing you didn't have to drill someone via chit chat for "just in-case info".
i have a few large additions to this idea that would promote the use of it "without" any monetary reward. 1 good example. users are given an extra rating that can be viewed on profile. this rating can only go up. on the finalized form that both players receive, they will have the option to upvote if things went well. this will add 1 rating point to that users score. a max of 3 rating points per day can be obtained. any after that could just be nullified to the abyss. this would prevent mass botting or friending for quick points to make someone look good. it can also be capped with 1 users vote will count only once a week. so making a few multi's to sit on, doing fake trades for a while, would show very little productivity. these points would have no value other than to show users a very small idea of your relation with the trading community in specific.

scamming is just too easy to accomplish here if you have any sort of common sense or manipulative skills. i have made another idea that was a short-term solution to problems and seems to be generally accepted. one huge problem with this site though, is the lack of it's ability to warn users of the dangers here. CHunter has a suggestion thread currently of a welcome message with links to different key sections of this site. i fully support this, but still feel that very few will actually take the time to read it. it would just seem like the ToS nearly everyone doesn't read.
even if you fully know the rules, if you are trying to be nice or understanding towards others that have issues doing the same in return, common etiquette leaves it hard to drill for info. when a user has been delightful to deal with outside of returning 1 piece of info. it's easy to let slide.
however, i still feel CHunter's idea should be implemented too. perhaps including a link as well to the trade interface system.

new members come in as scammers reborn. or as new users who get scammed. an actual interface is something people are comfortable with. the organization is done for them. with it being optional it wouldn't prevent any transactions that happen out of game. with a meaningless rating score, it would be promoted everywhere. as new members join they will wonder how to get a rating score, and effectively learn to trade with at least proper info.

Feb 17 2017 07:37pm
i realize it's hard to get my idea across with so many words. especially with my lack of terminology.
so i created some pictures with a rough idea of how it would work.
i have plans to add more things for ease of access. the trade rank points you will have to read about.

Gold: 90.58
Feb 18 2017 03:25am
This is why mediators exist if you don't want the risk of being scammed. This forum is a privileged, we are not entitled to anything.

Some UI changes isn't going to magically stop the bad guys continually scewing over more people, it'll probably make it easier. There will always be scammers in this world.

Plus, no one has time to fill out a dissertation style form for every trade.

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Feb 18 2017 03:26am
Feb 18 2017 08:47am
again, this would be completely optional. you could continue trading via any way you do now.
also, this is a rough draft of the idea. my plan is to make it as simple and effective as possible.
it does not seem to be grabbing attention though, i won't continue refining this for no reason.
Gold: 9,205.00
Feb 20 2017 03:05am
This seems wayyyyy too much work just for a trading tool, which this site essentially is for a lot of people.
People don't get scammed because the system is bad. They get scammed because they are stupid.
If you want to babysit stupid people, make sure you're free 24/7.
Gold: 90.58
Feb 20 2017 03:14am
Quote (HardyTarget @ Feb 20 2017 01:05am)
This seems wayyyyy too much work just for a trading tool, which this site essentially is for a lot of people.
People don't get scammed because the system is bad. They get scammed because they are stupid.
If you want to babysit stupid people, make sure you're free 24/7.

What the hell are you talking about? People get scammed because they "are stupid"? No. People get scammed because there are people out in this world (allience, scammers, etc) that like to deceive / scam people. It's not the person's who is trading which is at fault, it's the scammer. That's why the SA forum exists for a reason.

To say that the person who got scammed is "stupid" is bologna. They are a victim.. That's like the same logic saying the old lady who got their purse robbed while walking down the street is an idiot. No, she is a normal citizen and not stupid, she just got robbed. The robber is the idiot, not the lady.

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Feb 20 2017 03:16am
Feb 20 2017 08:00am
in my opinion, you are both correct. a fault is somewhat shared.
about it being too much work... that you very well may be correct. i don't code so i really don't know. i'm trying to use features already built into the site to make it easier. but my lack of knowledge could be why this never makes it.
i.e. many of these pop-ups, i'm imagining as a resized "send gold" box. i have no clue if any of these features can be shared.

i really am hoping someone with knowledge in this field would get a few pennies on the subject.
Jr Admin
Gold: 6,900.00
Feb 20 2017 08:16am
A lot of people are too impatient to wait for a mediator so i think filling out a form to trade is the same thing but without having that 3rd person mediating.

I know waiting on a mediator can take time but it is the safest way since we save every bit of information.

Also this is something that can be spammed, Lets say you irritated me so i/group of friends bombard you with trade requests to get revenge/harass.

tldr no, use a mediator

Gold: 0.00
Feb 20 2017 08:20am
People will still be scammed the same no matter what.
This is just a useless function.

Only way to trade safe is to use a mediator.
Shit, the OP literally does everything a mediator does in a trade.

I'd trust someone with a mediator tag over any non-tagged member.

This post was edited by Japrone on Feb 20 2017 08:21am
Feb 20 2017 08:34am
Quote (Sire @ Feb 20 2017 09:16am)
A lot of people are too impatient to wait for a mediator so i think filling out a form to trade is the same thing but without having that 3rd person mediating.

I know waiting on a mediator can take time but it is the safest way since we save every bit of information.

Also this is something that can be spammed, Lets say you irritated me so i/group of friends bombard you with trade requests to get revenge/harass.

tldr no, use a mediator

i've already thought of that. i've thought a few ways to work around it, such as an option to turn off requests. I don't think this would be a huge issue though.
if people want to spam someone, they can just spam their pm box already. you will get bombarded if it came to that anyway.
same as in offering trades, the only thing changed is that their offer(s) aren't in pm form.

also, this is not skipping a mediated trade. this suggestion is not for skipping any part of a trade.
this is an organized shelf of info, for when a player wants that layer of insurance.
the only reason there i'm putting so much design into this... is because no one will read what they need to know when they join this site. everyone finds out the hard way. so i'm trying to create something that newer users would find appealing to use, and teach them all the info they need to know with their first use.
if someone could design something a little more simple, i am definitely up to see it.
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll