d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Study Reveals Worrying Rise In Mortality Rate > Among Young Americans.
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 17,384.69
Feb 15 2017 09:00pm
Quote (HEAVENSHAKINGSWORD @ 16 Feb 2017 03:46)
you are a poor representation of your country to judge ours the way you do on a daily basis

stop crying and give me an explanation for that

the mortality rate of young Americans between the ages of 25 and 35 has increased between 1999 and 2014, whereas this rate has decreased overall Of the richest countries in forty years.

Gold: 42.00
Feb 15 2017 09:09pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Feb 15 2017 09:00pm)
stop crying and give me an explanation for that

you already have your mind made up on this issue, i don't think arguing with a feeble mind would be worth the effort
Gold: 7.77
Feb 15 2017 09:14pm
Quote (IceMage @ Feb 15 2017 08:05pm)
That's the sort of white privilege liberals can get behind.

I'm not sure how social welfare relates to this. USA has plenty of welfare programs, it's very easy for young people to get grants/loans to go to school, etc. This is more about the wide availability of drugs, the decline in American religion, necessity of a degree to make a decent living, etc.

I would say social welfare is hugely connected to this, as while although social welfare programs do exist, they're not always the most accessible or streamlined processes. However, I suppose it does depend on what one says constitutes as a "social welfare" program. Our society still views drug addiction as a personal failing rather than a public health issue, and while there are definitely loads of methadone and suboxone clinics across the US, I can at least attest anecdotally that the supply doesn't meet the demand, due to a lack of resources and clinicians.

I think education, or the lack thereof, which is perhaps the largest form of social welfare, is severely to blame in this. The War on Drugs combined with things like the DARE Program in schools has resulted in American society being this weird combination of extremely ignorant regarding drugs (especially heroin/opioids), but also extremely judgmental. As a result, many people who fall into addiction don't access services early on because of the stigma and illegality associated with illegal drug use, and because they never received proper education about opioids, aren't even aware that they should look into getting a Naloxone prescription and accessing needle exchange services.

If there's one silver lining in this ongoing epidemic though, it's that the overdose demographics have started to expand, where young white people are overdosing at high rates, and as a result the government is increasingly taking this issue on with a higher level of seriousness.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Feb 15 2017 09:15pm
Gold: 17,384.69
Feb 15 2017 11:32pm
Yeah thats my opinion too; "global" welfare would help... Including education & healthcare. This is a very long run anyway, probably like 20 years minimum or so... Of social-democrat governement.
In france first advanced laws started in 1936 (40 hours week & paid vacation), then retreat, social welfare etc... up to today, every 1-3 year a new law...

btw it's amusing:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_sur_l%27assistance_m%C3%A9dicale

The law of 15 July 1893 on medical assistance was voted under the Third Republic. It is one of the symbols of solidarism and a pillar of the emergence of the welfare state or "insurance society".

Its article 1 states that:

"A Frenchman who is ill, deprived of resources, receives, free of charge from the commune, the department or the State following his home, medical assistance at home, or if it is impossible to treat him effectively at home, A hospital setting.
Women in childbirth are assimilated to the sick."

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Feb 15 2017 11:32pm
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 16 2017 05:19am
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 15 2017 03:39pm)
I'll assume your generation is not the Millennials, cause they're the best generation since probably the G.I. Generation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/05/millennials-the-greatest-generation-or-the-most-narcissistic/256638/

So we dug into the data. The results for civic engagement were clear: Millennials were less likely than Boomers and even GenXers to say they thought about social problems, to be interested in politics and government, to contact public officials, or to work for a political campaign. They were less likely to say they trusted the government to do what's right, and less likely to say they were interested in government and current events. It was a far cry from Howe and Strauss' prediction of Millennials as "The Next Great Generation" in civic involvement.

Millennials were also less likely to say they did things in their daily lives to conserve energy and help the environment, and less likely to agree that government should take action on environmental issues. With all of the talk about Millennials being "green," I expected these items to be the exception. Instead, they showed some of the largest declines. Three times as many Millennials as Boomers said they made no personal effort to help the environment.

Millennials were slightly less likely to say they wanted a job that was helpful to others or was worthwhile to society. This is directly counter to the Generation We view predicting that Millennials would be much more concerned for others. Volunteering rates did increase, the only item out of 30 measuring concern for others that did. However, this rise occurred at the same time that high schools increasingly required volunteer service to graduate.

So where did Howe and Strauss, and others who championed the "Generation We" view, go wrong? They developed an idea of the generation first and then went looking for data to support it. They found some -- increasing rates of volunteering, for example. But they didn't consider the whole picture by examining the large amount of data available on generational shifts in civic orientation, life goals, and concern for others.

Those who have done in-depth studies of today's young people, such as Christian Smith in Lost in Transition, have come to a similar conclusion. "The idea that today's emerging adults are as a generation leading a new wave of renewed civic-mindedness and political involvement is sheer fiction," Smith wrote. "The fact that anyone ever believed that idea simply tells us how flimsy the empirical evidence that so many journalistic media stories are based upon is and how unaccountable to empirical reality high-profile journalism can be."

This post was edited by Santara on Feb 16 2017 05:19am
Gold: 119,903.34
Feb 16 2017 05:55am
Quote (Santara @ Feb 16 2017 06:19am)

Your generation isn't any better to be honest. Absentee fathers, drug addiction and horrendous parenting. Also your generation crime rates are statistically 50% worse than of young people today. Amazing what happens when people aren't exposed to vast amounts of lead in the atmosphere from cars burning leaded gasoline.
Gold: 1,495.80
Feb 16 2017 06:10am
Good let more people die its population control and better to have less people to conserve resources
Gold: 119,903.34
Feb 16 2017 06:14am
Quote (Happypuppy @ Feb 16 2017 07:10am)
Good let more people die its population control and better to have less people to conserve resources

The lifestyle that leads to the higher mortality rate causes more consumption of resources.
Gold: 1,495.80
Feb 16 2017 06:15am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Feb 16 2017 07:14am)
The lifestyle that leads to the higher mortality rate causes more consumption of resources.

I dunno then
Hope they figure it out rip
Gold: 2,617.52
Feb 16 2017 06:19pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Feb 15 2017 03:47pm)
Hi, the poll is here for entertainement purpose, on the other hand the source is pretty serious ("le monde" & 2 american studies)
im translating the article (sorry for google translate mistakes) and my question is: why in usa and not in others countries ?

The magnitude of such an increase, due to drugs and alcoholism, would be comparable to the top of the AIDS epidemic in the United States.

This is an unprecedented trend for a developed country. According to a survey published on 26 January by the scientific journal The Lancet, the mortality rate of young Americans between the ages of 25 and 35 has increased between 1999 and 2014, whereas this rate has decreased overall Of the richest countries in forty years.

The origin of this surge in mortality is even more troubling. It is mainly the young white women, who draw the figures upward and, to a lesser extent, the American Indians and the natives of Alaska. For example, analysis of the statistics collected from the NationalCenter for Health Statistics shows that the mortality rate of 25-year-old white women has increased by an average of 3% annually during the 15 years considered and 2.3% For the thirties category. For boys of the same age, the annual growth rate of the mortality rate is 1.9%. For American Indians aged 30 years, the increase even reaches 4.3%, while for young people from Alaska the figure is 1.9%.

"An increase in mortality from 2% to 5% per year is rarely observed in developed countries. The magnitude of such an increase is comparable to that of two health emergencies observed in the past: the substantial increase in mortality in Russia during the 1990s and the increase in mortality among individuals aged 20 to 40 Years at the peak of the AIDS epidemic from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s in the United States, "the report said.

The origin of premature deaths is very evident in the ill-being of these populations.These are mainly overdoses, liver diseases (cancer, cirrhosis) caused most often by alcoholism, suicides and homicides. These findings corroborate those of another recently published study showing that deaths from heroin overdose have quadrupled between 2010 and 2015 for young people aged 25-34.

The phenomenon is all the more atypical since it does not affect other minorities. Premature deaths for Hispanics and Asians continue to decline. For African Americans, the decline in the mortality rate is even more spectacular with a drop of 3.9% per year. It should be noted, however, that the mortality rate of blacks is still 1.5 times higher than that of whites.

The Lancet study was published a little over a year after the Nobel Prize winning economist Angus Deaton and Anne Case showed that the mortality rate of the less educated American white population 45 to 54 years of age, has risen unprecedented over the last decade, while again, the figure remains downward for Blacks, Hispanics or Asians.

http://s2.lemde.fr/image/2017/02/15/534x0/5080229_6_66a5_des-jeunes-americains-lors-de-la-course_ea77b4e3cf401f0e80946d8c2d890054.jpg

sources:

http://www.lemonde.fr/ameriques/article/2017/02/15/une-etude-revele-une-hausse-inquietante-du-taux-de-mortalite-chez-les-jeunes-americains_5080230_3222.html

thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the collapse of marriage.

Women have been becoming less happy every year as the culture is jamming them into jobs they don't enjoy.

Statistics have shown the same decline in happiness since the 60's onward.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll