d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Player vs. Monster > Hc Uber Meph, One Hit 5k Life > N Explanation
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,201.50
Feb 13 2017 07:20pm
Hey all,

I didn't lose my smiter anymore and succesfully did solo UT (in two players game) about ten times in a row now but I've got a question... Sometimes Uber Meph hits me with nearly 5 K dmg in one hit although I have 30% dmg reduction and 94/93/90/95 resists when I fight him (with conviction aura lvl 21).

Thankfully I have 5175 life or so (with a huge bo from my bo barb) so I don't rip, but this is scary as shit. I don't get how some ppl do UT with really low pala (mine is 83 atm and I started solo'ing UT at lvl 80) if Uber Meph can deal nearly 5 K dmg in one hit vs a player with 30% dmg reduction (15% dungo, 15% fade prebuff) and 94/93/90/95 resists.

I have a cheap build with guardian angel as the armor (maybe not the best choice but I'm kinda poor). I do prebuff treachery/fade just before entering UT (and fighting uber meph first). Fade is definitely still on when this happen.

So what's that "one hit / nearly 5 k dmg" I keep seeing? At my very first UT run I lost a similar smiter in one hit even though lifetap was on and I was happily fighting uber meph.

My question is simple: what's the type of dmg that uber meph does that does so much damage in one hit? I'm sure it's uber meph because once he's dead, the rest of UT is very easy and I never see my life drop to a few percent left like that.

This is hardcore so I'd rather tweak my build than lose my char. Should I replace dungo with thundergod? Is the "only" 90 light res and no light absorb the problem here?

How do ppl with pala with less than 5 K life do UT in HC if Uber Meph can sometimes do one hit that does nearly 5 K damage?

I just don't get it: I'm sure I do everything right (and, once again: I did solo UT like ten times in a row without dying), how comes I still take so much damage? No matter how much life I had, no matter how big the bo, there's one ubermeph attack which I swear nearly kills me nearly everytime and I don't know what that is.

I'm not removing my conviction aura by mistake as I remove every shortcuts to make sure I don't do a silly mistake and stay on conviction once activated (after I cast lifetap).

That uber meph attack that does so much dmg happens at anytime: in the middle of the fight or when he's nearly dead. No clue what this is.

This post was edited by MooMooFarmeress on Feb 13 2017 07:21pm
Feb 13 2017 07:48pm
Just did one more run, replacing dungo with tg and removing the bo barb from the game before entering UT.

Same bullsh-t: uber meph does one attack that in one hit nearly kills me. I just don't get how ppl can solo UT with less than 5 K life on their smiter without getting one hit by uber meph.

What more can I do than 30% dmg reduction and 94/93/90/95 or 15% dmg reduction and 94/93/95/95?
Gold: 1,902.28
Feb 13 2017 08:10pm
Impossible, he cannot do that much damage with the resists you listed

What is probably happening is his Conviction aura is activated on you before you switch back to yours from the Life Tap wand so his Convcition is applying and yours isn't, quite a lot of people don't know about this mechanic

Use Salvation and avoid this, usually with 1 point in it you will have 80-90@ res, it's not hard to make the missing stack up from charms

Here's a Team MeRc 1k hp level 30 smiter with 75@ res

This post was edited by Marieusz on Feb 13 2017 08:15pm
Gold: 20.00
Feb 13 2017 08:19pm
I don't have much info for why he's hitting you so hard, as I have never had more than.. 3k hp on my smiters, and have had probably a 97% solo success rate, and have even taken it into friends games when they were having trouble... my gear was this:

Guillaumes w 15ias/15@
Coh ap
Maras
Grief pb
Dracs
Raven frost
Soj
Dungos/tgods
Goblin toes
cta spirit switch
Any elite pala shield with 45@ base, and I've done as much as exile, sanctuary, and hoz

This is all WITHOUT a torch or anni in my inventory, so I could run as many as I wanted and never have to worry about muling torches or annis
Gold: 12,708.89
Feb 13 2017 10:06pm
Quote (Marieusz @ Feb 13 2017 09:10pm)
What is probably happening is his Conviction aura is activated on you before you switch back to yours from the Life Tap wand so his Convcition is applying and yours isn't, quite a lot of people don't know about this mechanic

This.

Higher level conviction overrides a lower level one. The catch is you have to have your higher level one on before you get in range of his. So if you theoretically put on conviction when you went into Trist, then walked around to him, when he came into range, yours would override his. If you did that, but swapped to lifetap (and dropped your conviction in the process), his is now no longer overridden, even when you swap back to yours, despite what the LCS says.

tl;dr, don't rely on conviction aura to override his. If you are doing it this way anyway, put your conviction on well before you see him, and do NOT take it off until he's dead.
Feb 14 2017 11:23am
Ooooh this may be related to the "conviction vs conviction" aura: I didn't know about that. Probably that I thought I was fighting with 90+ res but actually had negative res!

I'll try to re-skill and fight with salvation and report back : )
Feb 14 2017 11:33am
Quote (Reyes @ Feb 14 2017 03:19am)
I don't have much info for why he's hitting you so hard, as I have never had more than.. 3k hp on my smiters, and have had probably a 97% solo success rate

Thanks a lot for these infos and setup... Just to be clear: my pala solo @ lvl 83 has "only" 2002 life or so but nearly 5.2 K once my bo barb gives him bo : )

I tried both with two players in game (my smiter and my bo barb) and with only my smiter in game before entering UT: I think it's the conviction game mechanic that the others explained here that's the reason of these big hit / nearly RIP I keep seeing.

I'll try with salvation : )
Feb 15 2017 08:27am
You guys were right of course.

I re-skilled to use salvation instead of conviction (and replaced the pruby in guardian angel with an UM rune) and I fought uber meph with 95/95/95/95 resists (treachery prebuff + drank many anti-poison potions just in case) after his -125% res conviction.

Zero issue whatsoever.

I think salvation is way, way, way easier to play than conviction. Conviction for UT seems to have quite a big gotcha: no switch to lifetap or you risk having your conviction "not activate".

Now thinking about it I'm 99.9% sure this is why I ripped in one hit the first time I tried UT.

From now when fighting uber meph it's salvation on my UT smiter builds : )

And at last I got a pala torch :)
Gold: 12,708.89
Feb 15 2017 08:39am
Quote (MooMooFarmeress @ Feb 15 2017 09:27am)
You guys were right of course.

I re-skilled to use salvation instead of conviction (and replaced the pruby in guardian angel with an UM rune) and I fought uber meph with 95/95/95/95 resists (treachery prebuff + drank many anti-poison potions just in case) after his -125% res conviction.

Zero issue whatsoever.

I think salvation is way, way, way easier to play than conviction. Conviction for UT seems to have quite a big gotcha: no switch to lifetap or you risk having your conviction "not activate".

Now thinking about it I'm 99.9% sure this is why I ripped in one hit the first time I tried UT.

From now when fighting uber meph it's salvation on my UT smiter builds : )

And at last I got a pala torch :)

:thumbsup:
Gold: 6.69
Feb 15 2017 08:43am
if your conviction is not higher than meph's you need res stacked to 195+ to counter -120 res
Go Back To Player vs. Monster Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll