d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Atheist Liberals Using Christ > Right Wing Hypocrites
Prev111121314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Feb 14 2017 04:50am
Quote (ChrisKz @ 14 Feb 2017 06:21)
People who can't understand concepts quickly are plebeians who need to study to pass college. They do not belong there.

Tough talk from an English major. :banana:

On topic though -

For reals chaps, time is not just a concept. It's a measurable phenomenon. That's why we have 'spacetime' and not just space. Time bends. It slows down and speeds up dependant upon the forces acting upon and within spacetime. It is relative dependant upon where it is observed from. Etcetcetc...

The big bang is the rapid expansion and possible birth of not just space but also time. I reiterate - talking about a before time existed is nonsensical.

This post was edited by Scaly on Feb 14 2017 05:00am
Gold: 1.93
Feb 14 2017 05:40am
Quote (Scaly @ Feb 14 2017 09:50pm)
Tough talk from an English major. :banana:

On topic though -

For reals chaps, time is not just a concept. It's a measurable phenomenon. That's why we have 'spacetime' and not just space. Time bends. It slows down and speeds up dependant upon the forces acting upon and within spacetime. It is relative dependant upon where it is observed from. Etcetcetc...

The big bang is the rapid expansion and possible birth of not just space but also time. I reiterate - talking about a before time existed is nonsensical.

"Possible birth of time".
Time came into being when entities had the power to actually measure it and we can apply it to anything.
The big bang may have happened 14 billion years ago, but whatever happened before that can still be judged by the same measure of time.
There may have been 20 billion years of pretty much nothing before the big bang, but we may eventually be able to point to a time within that 20 billion years where something may have started to happen.

This post was edited by Plaguefear on Feb 14 2017 05:45am
Gold: 5,016.77
Feb 14 2017 08:36am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Feb 14 2017 05:34am)
The new testament makes being disobedient to your parents an equal sin to either thing mentioned yet you do not see people out in the streets holding up signs about that one.
Calling some one a fool will send you straight to hell, no christians out protesting that one..
Marrying some one who has divorced is also just as big of a sin as homosexuality.. *crickets"
Jesus teaches us not to judge others and to do what you can for those in need, not to hate anyone who's lifestyle you disagree with.
The lord is the judge, not man.

Edit: I have grabbed my bible, ill go grab you some scripture.

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Ok so here we have, adulterers, people who have sex outside of marriage, pimps, dirty people, witches (guess these exist?) People who hate (that is all you guys who preach about homosexuality), emulating others ?, being drunk or having parties..
All deadly sins as stated in revelations and corinthians.

So why do you guys only talk about homosexuality and abortion?
Where are the signs about remarrying?
Where are the signs about bad washing habits?
Where are the signs about drinking or having a party?

Another gem i had to dig up:

Matthew 5:22

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Where does it say that being disobedient to your parents is an equal sin to homosexual relations? "Shall be in danger of hellfire" doesn't mean they are going to hell. Read some Matthew 5 commentary, it's teaching a spiritual lesson about the hate that leads someone to murder.

You didn't post any scripture which condones homosexual relations, gay marriage, or abortion. Hating someone because they are gay is sinful, and the vast majority of Christians in America do not hate gay people.

Christians talk about homosexual relations because it's the main cultural issue of the time. Society over the past couple decades has become much more accepting of it.

Was Jesus judging the woman accused of adultery when He told her to go and sin no more? The idea that it is hateful to give the Christian perspective on a moral issue of our time is laughable.

This post was edited by IceMage on Feb 14 2017 08:38am
Feb 14 2017 09:02am
Quote (Plaguefear @ 14 Feb 2017 11:40)
Time came into being when entities had the power to actually measure it and we can apply it to anything.
The big bang may have happened 14 billion years ago, but whatever happened before that can still be judged by the same measure of time.
There may have been 20 billion years of pretty much nothing before the big bang, but we may eventually be able to point to a time within that 20 billion years where something may have started to happen.

This is just false. Sorry. I don't want to be confrontational but a lot of people seem to have this idea of time and it's just not the case.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 14 2017 09:09am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Feb 14 2017 05:40am)

In order to understand why that doesn't necessarily make sense requires a bit of reading, and I'm not really qualified to say anything beyond that than "Steven Hawking says you're wrong, and this is actually his area of expertise."

So yeah. Fascinating stuff.

However I wouldn't say time came into existence when somebody came around to measure, it came into existence when something became measurable with respect to time, and that was basically at the big bang. Prior to that time as we know it doesn't really apply in a causal sense.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Feb 14 2017 09:09am
Gold: 2,489.69
Feb 14 2017 09:09am
im glad i left this thread. chris took my place though, everyone seems to have enjoyed that.
Feb 14 2017 10:33am
Quote (thesnipa @ 14 Feb 2017 15:09)
im glad i left this thread. chris took my place though, everyone seems to have enjoyed that.

Whatever else he is he's always good for a laugh.
Gold: 2,489.69
Feb 14 2017 10:35am
Quote (Scaly @ Feb 14 2017 10:33am)
Whatever else he is he's always good for a laugh.

usually about 12 posts in he figures out what that actual topic of conversation is. after that it gets even worse.
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Feb 14 2017 10:40am
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 14 2017 07:06am)
I've heard very similar thoughts from some prominent Muslim scholars. That God at every single moment in time wills the universe to exist.

Rest is over my head.

Aquinas is massively influenced by Avicenna's commentaries on Aristotle's works. Yeah - that's pretty much the gist of it
Feb 14 2017 10:52am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 14 Feb 2017 15:09)
In order to understand why that doesn't necessarily make sense requires a bit of reading, and I'm not really qualified to say anything beyond that than "Steven Hawking says you're wrong, and this is actually his area of expertise."

So yeah. Fascinating stuff.

However I wouldn't say time came into existence when somebody came around to measure, it came into existence when something became measurable with respect to time, and that was basically at the big bang. Prior to that time as we know it doesn't really apply in a causal sense.

Complicated shit rlly. I'm struggling to put my knowledge on the subject into words that are easily understandable and that's not something I experience often.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev111121314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll