d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > What Type Of Cms Does This Site Use?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 36.40
Feb 6 2017 08:04am
I've been working on a website for my ingame clan/guild on runescape.
Basically we are making a resource database (external from the clan website) for a type of guides not listed on other websites. The type of guides we are posting are typically only found on forums and normally archived causing all the images and formatting to break resulting in a bad user experience.
We kind of want a website similar (not ripping their site files) to rsbuddy.
There won't be any forums or anything just strictly guides and Javascript skill calculators.

What Content Management System and theme is ideal for a website like rsbuddy.com

Ideally I would like to allow the leaders of the guild to be able to edit the files but if a raw html5/css is the way to go, I will go with that. If need be I can make a child template that the leaders can just put information in and it be formatted to the layout for them.

I've purchase several themes and frameworks including divi, Genesis, full themes, etc and even though they are very customizable, they don't come close to the layout of rsbuddy without doing alot of backend work in the style sheets. If that is really the only way then let me know (please :) ) and I will search for a freelancer to do my bidding.
Gold: 279.52
Feb 7 2017 08:10pm
im not sure it matters what theyre using, im sure some of the site is custom css anyways.
most people here could code the css for that site in their sleep

picking a cms is mainly for which one you find easiest to use and has the plugins you need.
Feb 7 2017 08:22pm
Quote (AkuuZ @ Feb 7 2017 08:10pm)
im not sure it matters what theyre using, im sure some of the site is custom css anyways.
most people here could code the css for that site in their sleep

picking a cms is mainly for which one you find easiest to use and has the plugins you need.

Yeah I was looking at it on mobile and i thought they had alot more content. So websites like tip.it that have 30-40k pages, do they just use a child template and duplicate it for every new entry or is there an easier way to manage the backend without specifically going through a ftp to edit the files?
Gold: 279.52
Feb 7 2017 08:31pm
Quote (CynicZ @ Feb 8 2017 02:22am)
Yeah I was looking at it on mobile and i thought they had alot more content. So websites like tip.it that have 30-40k pages, do they just use a child template and duplicate it for every new entry or is there an easier way to manage the backend without specifically going through a ftp to edit the files?

the power of backend languages such as php makes it more streamline.

just need a database to store the info in and it will create all the pages. they usually have different templates (or css/html) for different types of pages, but say if you have a character page, theres not a character stat page for every character, it just grabs the info from the db and creates the page on the fly basically within the parameters of the code.
Feb 7 2017 08:51pm
Quote (AkuuZ @ Feb 7 2017 08:31pm)
the power of backend languages such as php makes it more streamline.

just need a database to store the info in and it will create all the pages. they usually have different templates (or css/html) for different types of pages, but say if you have a character page, theres not a character stat page for every character, it just grabs the info from the db and creates the page on the fly basically within the parameters of the code.

Ahh makes much more sense. I was questioning how they get 30k pages to load so quick on initial siteload.
Gold: 15.00
Mar 25 2017 08:19am
dont know many cms but lots of people uses wordpress
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll