Quote (EndlessSky @ Jan 19 2017 05:27pm)
Two weeks ago I started a Ketogenic diet. Its been working wonderfully, so I wanted to start a discussion and showcase what happens. It will be an interesting experiment because I am a type: I diabetic. The results of the diet are not well documented for young diabetics.
The diet works on a few simple principles:
- the body has three sources of fuel: carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Ketogenic diet forces your body to use fat by cutting carbohydrates out of your diet COMPLETELY
- normally, your body burns carbohydrates that are stored in the form of glycogen. After three days without carbohydrates, the body enters ketosis, which means the body has run out of glycogen and is now burning fat 24/7
- you can test for ketosis using ketostix which check the presence of ketones in the urine
- you eat awesome fatty foods like bacon, cheese, meats, pork rinds, low-sugar vegetables. Ill probably share some ketogenic recipes here since they taste awesome and are more filling than carbohydrate-rich foods
- you feel much better. Carbohydrates normally cause constant low levels of inflammation in the body
- interestingly I go to the gym, and Ive noticed that my burst strength is significantly diminished. Without glycogen, the body loses its ability to rapidly produce energy from carbohydrates. I have also found that your burst energy returns IF you eat up fats and oils before you work out.
- people with a sweet tooth can buy carbohydrate-free erythritol and stevia to sweeten tea, drinks, smoothies, and even choclate to get rid of cravings. After two weeks, the human addiction to sugar actually completely disappears
I have lost 1.5lbs per week in the first two weeks on about 1,500 calories a day. Will provide updates and answer any questions here as it progresses. I plan to lose about 20 pounds and keep the diet up permanently if it works.
So far I'd recommend this diet to anyone. The initial hurdle of going cold turkey on carbohydrates is well worth it.
legit diet, it works great... Few problems though
1. It's super easy if you don't carb up to put yourself into a type of ketoacidosis
2. Your breath smells like SHIIIITTTT
3. Your poop schedule is non existent
4. You will crash after the diet is done and gain weight back 'not really a fact, just a generalization of every person I know who's done this diet'
5. Food can get expensive
Carbs aren't your enemy, caloric surplus is.