d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Sixth Mass Extinction
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 9 2017 12:18pm
http://www.cnn.com/vanishing

New CNN series coming out on the coming mass extinction of animals. It's a scroll down site with videos and such, pretty interesting/depressing. The dead bird opened up with a bunch of plastic inside was gross.

One of the experts on there says we have 10-20 years to turn things around. I don't see any possibility of preventing this. We're just too far gone.

Thoughts, PaRD?
Gold: 0.00
Jan 9 2017 12:21pm
"coming" mass extinction?
it's already happened/happening
and i promise you
the incoming administration gives exactly zero fucks
:(

This post was edited by chemoshots on Jan 9 2017 12:22pm
Gold: 285.00
Jan 9 2017 12:23pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 9 2017 01:18pm)
http://www.cnn.com/vanishing

New CNN series coming out on the coming mass extinction of animals. It's a scroll down site with videos and such, pretty interesting/depressing. The dead bird opened up with a bunch of plastic inside was gross.

One of the experts on there says we have 10-20 years to turn things around. I don't see any possibility of preventing this. We're just too far gone.

Thoughts, PaRD?

No one believes in the problem. Profits next quarter are too important and the capitalist machine is strong.

People like to think that if a huge meteor was flying towards Earth and getting ready to trigger a mass extinction we as nations would band together and try to work out a global solution. But this is basically happening with pollution and habitat destruction causing climate change and the mass extinction of species over time and nobody is doing anything, and a lot of people don't even think there is a problem because they still see some trees and it still snows.

You're turning into a liberal dude.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jan 9 2017 12:24pm
Jan 9 2017 12:32pm
Quote (chemoshots @ Jan 9 2017 01:21pm)
"coming" mass extinction?
it's already happened/happening
and i promise you
the incoming administration gives exactly zero fucks
:(

They don't, but at this point does it really matter? The Paris climate agreement is a drop in the bucket... Clinton wouldn't get any significant carbon legislation passed unless Democrats took Congress.

Quote (Skinned @ Jan 9 2017 01:23pm)
No one believes in the problem. Profits next quarter are too important and the capitalist machine is strong.

People like to think that if a huge meteor was flying towards Earth and getting ready to trigger a mass extinction we as nations would band together and try to work out a global solution. But this is basically happening with pollution and habitat destruction causing climate change and the mass extinction of species over time and nobody is doing anything, and a lot of people don't even think there is a problem because they still see some trees and it still snows.

You're turning into a liberal dude.

I started thinking about the problem a few weeks ago after I bought The Sixth Extinction... I'm up to the 4th extinction at this point in the book.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about it.... it just seems inevitable.
Gold: 2,489.69
Jan 9 2017 12:33pm
Everyone on the planet agree the Texas sized floating mass of plastic and trash is a bad thing, no one cares enough to clean it up. Add on to that the blatant over fishing across the globe.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jan 9 2017 12:33pm
Gold: 0.00
Jan 9 2017 12:38pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 9 2017 06:32pm)
They don't, but at this point does it really matter? The Paris climate agreement is a drop in the bucket... Clinton wouldn't get any significant carbon legislation passed unless Democrats took Congress.

It depends how optimistic you are about our future I guess. I'm of the mind that we will find some way to keep on keeping on, but this will require that we at some point start taking responsibility for improving where we live.

Elon will save us! :cry: We only really need to maintain a small seeding population on Mars. Then we can come back to earth when it has devoured itself and the rest of humanity and green things are growing again. !
Jan 9 2017 12:49pm
Quote (chemoshots @ Jan 9 2017 01:38pm)
It depends how optimistic you are about our future I guess. I'm of the mind that we will find some way to keep on keeping on, but this will require that we at some point start taking responsibility for improving where we live.

Elon will save us! :cry: We only really need to maintain a small seeding population on Mars. Then we can come back to earth when it has devoured itself and the rest of humanity and green things are growing again. !

People have to be motivated to change. Coal workers in West Virginia don't care that coral reefs and African elephants are dying... and I don't blame them. They are worried about their family's future. There has got to be some incredible technological breakthrough in clean energy... otherwise I'm very pessimistic about the situation.
Gold: 1.50
Jan 9 2017 12:50pm
we deserve it
Gold: 45,015.90
Warn: 10%
Jan 9 2017 01:07pm
who needs birds anyways
Gold: 1,803.00
Jan 9 2017 01:09pm
CNN fake news. Just another hoax
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1234Next