d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Other Games > Final Fantasy Series > Ff8 Is Best Ff > Squall Is A Hardass
Prev12
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,643.48
Dec 13 2016 10:53am
VII - Materia & equipment is best, really easy to mess around with, makes sense and good progression. Good story although annoying for me at times (some of the Cloud/Tifa cutscenes are just way too long). Good sense of challenge with the 2x weapons without going overboard.
VIII - Best card game. GF's are "ok", bit weird but works. Decent story and least annoying main character, Rinoa/Squall romance was lame imo and better off without it. Lack of side bosses a bit annoying and the ability to go invulnerable for the entire battle just silly.
IX - "ok" card game. Equipment is super annoying though, never really made much sense for progression. Story from what i remembered was good. Zidane was pretty annoying.
X - Good side game (would rate VIII's triple triad over blitzball but not by much and rate it higher than IX's card game), Progression was ok, preferred both GF's and VII's myself rather than sphere grid. Tidus was the most annoying character of the 4 games i've tried, riku being nearly equally annoying. Story was ok. Solid side quests but i never really got too far due to not really liking the progression.

I only have VIII installed on my computer, so guess that answers which i liked the most :P

Not tried the older ones, graphics/style a bit of a turn off. Not gone for newer ones as in general felt like the characters were getting more annoying after VIII. Reckon X-2 would really annoy me and it's now all this online crap these days.
Gold: 2,570.91
Dec 13 2016 12:45pm
Quote (mclarke @ 13 Dec 2016 17:53)
VII - Materia & equipment is best, really easy to mess around with, makes sense and good progression. Good story although annoying for me at times (some of the Cloud/Tifa cutscenes are just way too long). Good sense of challenge with the 2x weapons without going overboard.
VIII - Best card game. GF's are "ok", bit weird but works. Decent story and least annoying main character, Rinoa/Squall romance was lame imo and better off without it. Lack of side bosses a bit annoying and the ability to go invulnerable for the entire battle just silly.
IX - "ok" card game. Equipment is super annoying though, never really made much sense for progression. Story from what i remembered was good. Zidane was pretty annoying.
X - Good side game (would rate VIII's triple triad over blitzball but not by much and rate it higher than IX's card game), Progression was ok, preferred both GF's and VII's myself rather than sphere grid. Tidus was the most annoying character of the 4 games i've tried, riku being nearly equally annoying. Story was ok. Solid side quests but i never really got too far due to not really liking the progression.

I only have VIII installed on my computer, so guess that answers which i liked the most :P

Not tried the older ones, graphics/style a bit of a turn off. Not gone for newer ones as in general felt like the characters were getting more annoying after VIII. Reckon X-2 would really annoy me and it's now all this online crap these days.

If you didn't like IX's equipment thing, you probably won't like the older ones. The first 6 games have even more complex equipment mechanics, with up to 6 equipment slots (they even have right hand and left hand) and with different characters being able to use different weapons (some can choose between using a sword, a spear or a dagger for example, and each will have its benefits and disadvantages). For me this was a good thing, and it's one of the reasons IX is my favourite, because the other newer ones seemed too dull/boring on this department (especially 8, where there is no armor and only a very limited amount of weapon upgrades), but everyone has their own tastes in regards to this :P

If you're talking about learning skills through equipment though, then IX is indeed unique at that. VI works very similarly to VII, but in the first 5 games characters learn their abilities either by leveling up (each character has a unique job, so that a black mage will learn firaga/thundaga/etc at a certain level while a white mage will learn curaga/esuna/etc) or by buying the ability from magic shops (or getting them as drops from enemies or finding them in chests).

This post was edited by zarkadon on Dec 13 2016 12:55pm
Gold: 32,161.71
Feb 23 2017 09:41pm
VIII has imo the best story, and the best main charachter development (Squall and Rinoa go really deep, and Squall changes a lot... but the rest of the charachters are pretty flat and can feel almost irrelevant). Triple triad is fun too.

VIII however has imo the worst gameplay of the first 10 games (still fun, but imo the worst), so I can't consider it the best

Good summary, seifer also has some solid development. Squall overall is probably one of the most well rounded protagonists of the FF series. Goes through significant transformations with no glaring weaknesses in contrast to a lot of the other major feature protagonists
Gold: 127,000.00
Feb 25 2017 06:17am
Quote (triniboy @ 7 Dec 2016 16:17)
ff6 and ff7 > ff8 ez

although ff6 is gg, it hoenstly is not as good as 8

please replay 8 and then post
Gold: 3,385.09
Feb 25 2017 02:40pm
VIII-X-XIII Series.

But I love 8. From the Story to Triple Triad.

My one thing, I enjoy the Draw system more than I should. I liked it better than the Materia from 7.
Gold: 2,570.91
Mar 7 2017 01:34pm
I think VIII is the FF game that would most benefit from a hd remake.

It's still a great game ofc and the story is still awesome, but it's such a cinematic heavy game that it now seems off in some aspects. The visuals that blew everyone's mind 18 years ago are now outdated... so stopping the game for a cut scene doesn't feel as rewarding now, and VIII does that a lot.

If they ever make it then I hope they don't change the battle system like they are going to do with VII though...
Go Back To Final Fantasy Series Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll