d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > When You Guys Say "triggered"
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 51.00
Nov 30 2016 10:59am
Quote (t9x @ Nov 30 2016 10:57am)
st louis > la

zeke > gurley

This is true also
Gold: 0.00
Nov 30 2016 11:04am
"Triggered" became a thing after people thought it stupid that social justice and academic circles started putting trigger warnings before talks or presentations on sensitive subjects like sexual assault or rape so that people in the audience who may have experienced that kind of trauma aren't blindsided by it coming up and gives people an opportunity to leave ahead of time.

This got misconstrued by many people who thought trigger warnings were just about protecting people from feeling even the slightest bit uncomfortable. That it protected people from "getting their feelings hurt".

Now people use "triggered" when they feel someone gets emotional (actual or, really often times, perceived). It's a substance-less 'argument' like others have mentioned.

Gold: 28,296.01
Nov 30 2016 11:10am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Nov 30 2016 10:04am)
"Triggered" became a thing after people thought it stupid that social justice and academic circles started putting trigger warnings before talks or presentations on sensitive subjects like sexual assault or rape so that people in the audience who may have experienced that kind of trauma aren't blindsided by it coming up and gives people an opportunity to leave ahead of time.

This got misconstrued by many people who thought trigger warnings were just about protecting people from feeling even the slightest bit uncomfortable. That it protected people from "getting their feelings hurt".

Now people use "triggered" when they feel someone gets emotional (actual or, really often times, perceived). It's a substance-less 'argument' like others have mentioned.

This is a country that will go out of its way to find a way to blame the victim and then mock and harass those that treat victims with compassion and sensitivity

It elects rapists and excuses rape talk with its rape culture
Warn: 40%
Nov 30 2016 11:26am
The term is often being used when frustrated less intelligent leftists like yourself trigger their pro-transexual rainbow & utopia gun
Nov 30 2016 11:27am
Quote (Beowulf @ Nov 30 2016 05:10pm)
This is a country that will go out of its way to find a way to blame the victim and then mock and harass those that treat victims with compassion and sensitivity

It elects rapists and excuses rape talk with its rape culture

Make America Great Again!
Gold: 40.42
Nov 30 2016 12:09pm
Quote (Winternight @ 30 Nov 2016 09:26)
The term is often being used when frustrated less intelligent leftists like yourself trigger their pro-transexual rainbow & utopia gun

Literally the most easily triggered member of PaRD tho
Gold: Locked
Nov 30 2016 01:11pm
Quote (Leevee @ Nov 30 2016 08:39am)
What do you actually mean?

Am I to understand that a person automatically loses an argument whenever they point out that your ideas can have negative effects?

Triggered is umad 3.0
Salty was umad 2.0
Nov 30 2016 01:14pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Nov 30 2016 09:04am)

I've also noticed that people who don't need the warnings have begun using them outside of learning and support environments.

I think part of the problem then becomes non-professionals start using the term casually. It's like when people say "I'm really OCD about ____," without actually being OCD. Or, when people describe something as "bipolar."

People on the opposite side then call them out for misusing the term. It eventually has lost its meaning and now just used as an insult.

This is an actual case of cultural appropriation if I ever saw one.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Nov 30 2016 01:31pm
Quote (t9x @ 30 Nov 2016 18:45)
harambe was just a gorilla

hillary for prison

black lives matter is terrorism

harambe should go to heaven

hillary should go to hell

blacks should stay alive

This post was edited by the_rest on Nov 30 2016 01:36pm
Nov 30 2016 01:39pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Nov 30 2016 07:14pm)
I've also noticed that people who don't need the warnings have begun using them outside of learning and support environments.

I think part of the problem then becomes non-professionals start using the term casually. It's like when people say "I'm really OCD about ____," without actually being OCD. Or, when people describe something as "bipolar."

People on the opposite side then call them out for misusing the term. It eventually has lost its meaning and now just used as an insult.

This is an actual case of cultural appropriation if I ever saw one.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I'm biased in the circles I run in, but I've only ever seen two main categories: people who use them legitimately and correctly, and then those who misunderstand what trigger warnings are and laugh at the concept and degrade those who benefit from them. These are the same folks, typically, who are anti-safe space and who similarly don't understand what they are.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Nov 30 2016 01:39pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll