d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Curse Of Oak Island
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 19 2016 11:48am
Quote (Asexual @ Dec 19 2016 07:54am)
I find it ironic that we can go into space, but a 200 foot hole stymies us

#cardsultanincoming

Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 19 2016 10:21am)
It would be easy with a billion dollars of funding

this. essentially, being an island, it's water table is fairly high. so the flooding of digs could be due to this, heavily aided by the sand content of their soil, or tunnels could have been built to flood digs, or both.

people would ask, "what is worth all that trouble given its location." well there are plenty of unfound treasures dating back to the period and beyond, the sack of Peru being just one. And we have precedent for that level of tunnels and booby trapping being done by pirates, both state sponsored and independent. The location as well could help or hurt certain theories depending on how you look at it, a Caribbean or pacific even treasure ending up there seems off, then again who's look for it there.

Here is the biggest issue i have with the Lagina's, their methods. First off, being an avid metal detectorist myself, i know there is a BIG eastern canadian detectorist community. Many of which would pay their own way for the chance to dig on the island and contribute all finds to the cause. instead they gave a $2000 detector to a total nooby and he's dug randomly in a few places. There should be 20-30 detectorists digging at all times and clearing areas through gridding off all space. Not to solve the mystery but to data map. find where activity is, date as many items as possible, and map the finds. But my biggest issue is the hype they put on every fucking thing, like i get its for TV but come on. A random piece of broken pottery from an area that's been trafficked for 300 years? that's nothing.

with a billion dollars they'd dig the same hole they are now at the money pit, with an oscillating drill, but rather than dive the 40" holes they'd fill them with cement and only drill to 80% or so from target depth. Then once you have the target well surrounded from above you could dig down slowly and spread out. Right now they're just hoping they shot the moon and hit the right spot based on 200 year old data.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 19 2016 11:49am
Gold: 583.69
Dec 19 2016 04:26pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 19 2016 05:48pm)
this. essentially, being an island, it's water table is fairly high. so the flooding of digs could be due to this, heavily aided by the sand content of their soil, or tunnels could have been built to flood digs, or both.

people would ask, "what is worth all that trouble given its location." well there are plenty of unfound treasures dating back to the period and beyond, the sack of Peru being just one. And we have precedent for that level of tunnels and booby trapping being done by pirates, both state sponsored and independent. The location as well could help or hurt certain theories depending on how you look at it, a Caribbean or pacific even treasure ending up there seems off, then again who's look for it there.

Here is the biggest issue i have with the Lagina's, their methods. First off, being an avid metal detectorist myself, i know there is a BIG eastern canadian detectorist community. Many of which would pay their own way for the chance to dig on the island and contribute all finds to the cause. instead they gave a $2000 detector to a total nooby and he's dug randomly in a few places. There should be 20-30 detectorists digging at all times and clearing areas through gridding off all space. Not to solve the mystery but to data map. find where activity is, date as many items as possible, and map the finds. But my biggest issue is the hype they put on every fucking thing, like i get its for TV but come on. A random piece of broken pottery from an area that's been trafficked for 300 years? that's nothing.

with a billion dollars they'd dig the same hole they are now at the money pit, with an oscillating drill, but rather than dive the 40" holes they'd fill them with cement and only drill to 80% or so from target depth. Then once you have the target well surrounded from above you could dig down slowly and spread out. Right now they're just hoping they shot the moon and hit the right spot based on 200 year old data.

You are way to into this show. If they wanted to get to the bottom of the issues they would. They dont though cause that will end the show. They stand to make way more by continuing to half ass while idiots like you keep watching. Show is heavily scripted and obviously bullshit to even the most casual viewer. You are part of the reason TV rapidly circling the drain.
Dec 20 2016 08:14am
Quote (Hacintosh @ Dec 19 2016 04:26pm)
You are way to into this show. If they wanted to get to the bottom of the issues they would. They dont though cause that will end the show. They stand to make way more by continuing to half ass while idiots like you keep watching. Show is heavily scripted and obviously bullshit to even the most casual viewer. You are part of the reason TV rapidly circling the drain.

i've been following Oak Island's history since i was a wee young lad. Your assessment of the show is correct. see the part of my post where i talk about how their methods are shit and that they over hype every single little things for entertainment value. I watch this show for the same reason i watched Jersey Shore, it's hilarious.

maybe next time take the time to read a big post, or just post tl;dr. don't take the time to post something directly counter to something you couldn't be asked to read. or do, i can't stop you from looking like a dumbass if you're bound and determined to.

also i would be way TOO into the show. Enter snarky comment about you being the reason internet discussion is rapidly circling the drain.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 20 2016 08:15am
Gold: 1,292.69
Warn: 20%
Dec 25 2016 08:16am
I can't believe all they found d was papers and some coins ... What a waste
Gold: 30.50
Dec 25 2016 01:07pm
Quote (CocaineKitty @ Dec 25 2016 02:16pm)
I can't believe all they found d was papers and some coins ... What a waste

did u see the wood they pulled up with that anal probe?

i got half the mind to think they put the wood in the anal probe first, and then pulled it out
Gold: 15,702.00
Dec 28 2016 06:38am
SO they struggle this much with modern day equipment but we are supposed to believe that a couple dozen pirates probably with little to no education and barely usable hand tools dug down like 160 feet and buried 2 million pounds...gimme a break
Dec 28 2016 07:13am
last night's episode was a serious lowspot. the tv guide said it was "proof of a shipwreck in the swamp" which turned out to be a railroad spike.
Gold: 260.11
Dec 28 2016 02:51pm
Quote (Dismayven @ Dec 28 2016 06:38am)
SO they struggle this much with modern day equipment but we are supposed to believe that a couple dozen pirates probably with little to no education and barely usable hand tools dug down like 160 feet and buried 2 million pounds...gimme a break

I think there was something about it not being a swamp back in the day, so it would have been significantly easier. Also one of the issues is that there are traps that flood the hole, so that was another serious obstacle that wouldn't have been there while building it.
Gold: 583.69
Dec 28 2016 09:15pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 28 2016 08:51pm)
I think there was something about it not being a swamp back in the day, so it would have been significantly easier. Also one of the issues is that there are traps that flood the hole, so that was another serious obstacle that wouldn't have been there while building it.

That is the whole point of the show. The obstacles being there means they can drag it out for 5 more seasons while still never finding anything and you guys are going to watch it anyway. /facepalm
Gold: 260.11
Dec 29 2016 12:57am
Quote (Hacintosh @ Dec 28 2016 09:15pm)
That is the whole point of the show. The obstacles being there means they can drag it out for 5 more seasons while still never finding anything and you guys are going to watch it anyway. /facepalm

I don't watch. I look it up every six months when my wife reminds me it exists. I don't really watch TV.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll