d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Link's Angry Woodworking
123Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 212.69
Nov 14 2016 06:39pm
Creating this blog a bit late. I usually post a few woodworking projects from time to time in my guild pub chat but since those pages eventually disappear, I figured I'd start a blog to store it all here. Some of these initial pictures will be of old projects which I'll point out. I am by no means an expert woodworker; I don't carve or make ornate objects. I like to throw shit together and make it functional. I'll be posting upcoming projects and their inspiration pictures, if any.

TV Stand - This is one of my older projects, the newbiness is readily apparent if you look at it closely. No real framing whatsoever and the trim was actually a cheap plasticy type thing, not sure what the official name for that is. Still, it's quite functional and have had it for over 3 years.

End Table - My wife's parents purchased one of those barn kits where they ship all the wood for whatever barn you want to your door and you're responsible for getting it set up. It only got recently completed this past summer and there's a crapload of wood leftover that they just keep in the barn and are more than happy to let me pick through the pile whenever I want. A lot of these projects involve using those woods, including this. This is a recent one and it needs a clear coat of polyurethane which will bring out the grain contrast nicely.

Dining Table - I actually chronicled this one quite well with pictures but will only post a few end results here. We had a small 4 person round table prior to this and a relative from out of town was visiting and my family wanted to have dinner at my house so I took that as an opportunity to make this table in just a week. I had to schedule tasks quite strictly, getting up before work to do a coat of stain so it'd dry by the time I got home etc. We bought an 8x4 oak veneer plywood board, ripped 2 inch slats, stained each individual slat, nailgun'd them to a board and mixed epoxy to pour over the top for that glassy look. Also made 3x small benches that you see that fits nicely under 1 side of the table.

Nov 14 2016 06:40pm

Older pic from the original chronicling:

This post was edited by AngryLink on Nov 14 2016 06:41pm
Nov 14 2016 06:50pm
Dining Table #2 - My brother in law and his wife wanted me to make them a table that could seat up to 10 comfortably. This one was substantially less work than the first one just because I could use full planks of wood on the table top. It was also the first time I bought and used a kregjig to connect the planks together which worked quite nicely. They wanted a hard wood surface so their 4 kids (all under 7 yrs old) were less likely to dent the top. After browsing the stores, we settled on a red oak top (which still added up to about $350 in that wood alone smh) but base was free barn wood. They also wanted espresso staining which is nice but tbh I'm not a fan of that generally just because it's so dark that it'll cover most of the grain. I also chronicled this one but just a few here.

Base:

Table top (unstained):

Table top (stained):

Nov 14 2016 06:55pm
Completed table at their house:

There's a fair few more older projects that I have to go around and take pictures of, most of which are in other locations but for now, these are current. Christmas is coming up and I started brainstorming ideas for handmade wooden gifts and came up with quite a bit of ideas.

For my sister in law and her husband, I've already made a coat rack and a wall art/shelf based on these 2 inspirations:

Nov 14 2016 06:58pm
Coat rack - I thought this turned out quite well and imo, looks better than the inspiration picture. My only disappointment is that the pegs weren't cut perfectly so they seem to stick out a little more than I would have wanted but still, good effort.

Nov 14 2016 07:04pm
Wall art/shelf - I thought this turned out beautifully. Since I don't have a planer and had no intention of sanding down the ridiculously rough wood all the way down, I used my table saw to shave off all the sides.

Unstained:

Stained:

Stained:

Nov 14 2016 07:12pm
My mother in law will be getting a wooden clock for the barn based on this design.

I've got the slats assembled, just letting the wood glue dry overnight before I cut out a circle. The clock mechanism should be arriving in the mail in a couple days. My wife will be taking care of the numbers which I'm not quite sure how but it sounded like a similar process to transferring images with mod podge but in a different method. After cutting out the circle/putting numbers in, it'll get a clear coat polyurethane finish. Clock will be 21.5" diameter.

My brother in law and his wife is likely to be getting a full queen bed frame using this headboard as the focus. I'll plan on recreating it as best I can along with the lights as well. Hoping to start on it by next week.

This post was edited by AngryLink on Nov 14 2016 07:13pm
Nov 14 2016 07:25pm
Father in law and a cousin of my wife will be getting a couple small mod podge type projects on a piece of wood.

I also worked a little bit on a headboard for our guest room which we recently refreshed with a new coat of paint with the intention of turning it into a navy/sea themed room. The headboard is expected to look a little like this:

This is just one of those slow projects that I work on when I have some time so I created the skeleton of the headboard here. We'll have to go out and pick out the cushions to pad it but we have the fabric already. This is the back of it btw.

I'll post up any wall art that I create for that room when I get to it. After I get all the gifts done, I'm gonna make the shit out of this. Stunning piece of art imo.

That's all I've got for now. Like I said, I need to go around and take pictures of the other stuff I've made. Will be posting updates on the gifts etc.

Nov 18 2016 09:50pm
This whole week has been pretty slow for woodworking. I've only just gotten the official green light from my brother in law to make the bed frame. He had to subtly bring up the topic with his wife to figure out what she wanted and if it was worth it to get one built as this frame is pretty much a surprise for her but gift to both. All I had to do this week was to cut out that clock and sand it down. I'm making sure my wife works on the numbers this weekend and it should get fully completed as the clock mechanism arrived a couple days ago. I didn't bother taking a pic of the current clock circle as I'll just do that when it's done. However, I went out to my in law's barn to collect all the wood I need for the bed frame and took pictures of a few things I made over there. I asked my wife for some older pics that I thought she would have and she reminded me of 3 or 4 other things that I made that I had totally forgotten about so I've got another stack of pics to upload.

Some time before the summer, my sister in law sent a picture/plan for a DIY chaise lounge to my wife and I sort of volunteered/got volun-told to make not 1 but 2 of these for the both of them. I, at least, got paid for the 2nd one. Hooray, money. Overall, it was a pretty good job on both of them and I came up with the idea of buying a big roll of polypropylene straps (the kind of straps on duffel bags) and to interweave them and staple them to the seat frame for a more cushioned seat.

This one is my wife's. The official DIY one comes with a side board for an arm rest but she didn't want that.

The seat opens up to a bit of storage space which is nifty. You can also see the interweaving straps on the bottom of the seat there.

This one was for my sister in law and comes with the proper arm rest.

Nov 18 2016 10:00pm
I'm realizing I've made a lot of shit for my sister in law. This one was about a year ago and I can't remember exactly why I built this, I feel like it was a birthday gift or something. In any event, I think she said something to my wife about wanting a low folding table that she could use while sitting on the floor. Pretty sure she mostly just uses it for painting nails..women.

Unstained:

Stained:

This is a cropped screenshot from an instagram post so not sure how bad it might look before I post it. This one I know for sure was for my sister in law's birthday gift. She's a Doctor Who fanatic along with my wife (which personally I never saw the appeal in the show but I digress) and my wife wanted to build her a bookshelf modeled after the TARDIS in the show. If you don't know what that is or what it looks like, a quick google search will bring it up. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures with the doors open but it's a pretty standard 6 ft tall shelf with 4 or 5x 10" deep shelves. My wife is pretty crafty with paints, fabrics etc so she hand painted the wording on top, kudos to her :)

This post was edited by AngryLink on Nov 18 2016 10:03pm
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic