d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Anime > Dragon Ball Chronology Question
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.88
Oct 29 2016 02:52pm
why can't we all just agree with we :wub: dragon ball

This post was edited by GarryGarry on Oct 29 2016 02:52pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 60%
Oct 30 2016 04:20am
Dragon ball = Diablo 1 (not bad)
Dragon Ball Z = Diablo 2 (awesome)
DBGT = Diablo 3 (not good)
Gold: 1,975.00
Oct 31 2016 02:32pm
Quote (B00MAN @ 30 Oct 2016 06:20)
Dragon ball = Diablo 1 (not bad)
Dragon Ball Z = Diablo 2 (awesome)
DBGT = Diablo 3 (not good)

That's one of the most hurtful insults I've ever seen.

Comparing something to D3 is like telling concentration camp jokes to a holocaust survivor. You just don't do that.
Gold: 107.77
Oct 31 2016 04:32pm
Quote (CMBurns @ Oct 31 2016 03:32pm)

Comparing something to D3 is like telling concentration camp jokes to a holocaust survivor. You just don't do that.

ikr...

Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 31 2016 10:56pm
Quote (CMBurns @ Oct 31 2016 01:32pm)

What's unfortunate is how appropriate his comment was... You seem to be the only one who believes GT to be good. Your logic is flawless ofc, it's got pewpew boomboom fights with no substance. While that's something we all enjoy, there needs to be a bit more for it to actually be good. Everything about the characters in GT was horrendous. Then there's the whole it not being cannon bit, so why bother with an inferior show that's not fucking cannon to begin with? I've suffered through bad seasons of shows because it followed an arc that would eventually lead to something, there's no point in doing that with GT as it's just it's own little standalone trash series.
Gold: 1,975.00
Nov 1 2016 11:46am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 1 Nov 2016 00:56)
What's unfortunate is how appropriate his comment was... You seem to be the only one who believes GT to be good. Your logic is flawless ofc, it's got pewpew boomboom fights with no substance. While that's something we all enjoy, there needs to be a bit more for it to actually be good. Everything about the characters in GT was horrendous. Then there's the whole it not being cannon bit, so why bother with an inferior show that's not fucking cannon to begin with? I've suffered through bad seasons of shows because it followed an arc that would eventually lead to something, there's no point in doing that with GT as it's just it's own little standalone trash series.

I'm far from the only one that enjoyed GT. Most of the hate comes from people who hated the start of the series and it's understandable. Dragon ball isn't exactly known for its character development. This isn't game of thrones. It's a feel-good anime. Bad guy "X" shows up, good guys fight him. They lose. They train. They win. Yadi yada. We all know the recipe. Dragon ball Z has been ridiculously popular across the globe for exactly that reason. The fights of GT are the same fkin thing except the show lasts 64 episodes (of which 15-20 were aids) instead of 291. Whenever I do a rewatch of GT, I skip straight to baby showing up on earth and it feels just like watching DBZ. Canon or not doesn't matter;

Quote (AkiraToriyama)
"If you are able, along with me, to enjoy watching the original Dragon Ball's grand side-story Dragon Ball GT, you will be pleased.

鳥山明
Akira Toriyama"

its a perfect way to look at Dragon ball GT. For people who dont want it to be the real end to the dragon ball story, it is just a "side story" and for those who love it it can be part of the grand final story. Incredible that I had forgot about this.
----

TRANSLATION
-

ドラゴンボールDVD BOXを買っていただいたみなさん、ほんとうにありがとうございます。
I am truly thankful to all of you who bought this Dragon Ball GT DVD Box.

連載していた ドラゴンボールが無事終了し、本来なまけもののボクは やっと しめきり地獄から解放されめちゃめちゃ 喜んでいました。
Having quietly ended Dragon Ball in serialization, I, who am lazy by nature, was happy to finally be liberated from Deadline Hell.

テレビアニメの方はもうすこし続けたいとのことでしたが、ボクはもうこれ以上は…。というわけでドラゴンボールのアニメはストーリーも含め、すっかりアニメスタッフの方々におまかせすることになったのです。
The people from the TV anime were wanting to continue just a little further, but since I didn't want to do any more than I already had, I ended up leaving everything, including the story, up to the people on the anime staff.

それが『ドラゴンボールGT』です。
That is "Dragon Ball GT".

GTというのはクルマ用語で「グランツーリスモ」つまり速くて高性能なクルマってことですが、この場合は宇宙を駆けまわるっていう設定でしたので「グランドツーリング」壮大な旅という意味を込んでGTとしました。
"GT" is an automotive term, "gran turismo" -- in other words, a fast, powerful car. But in this case, since the plan was to be running all around the universe, I made it GT, carrying the meaning of a great journey, "grand touring."

GTでボクがやったことといえば このタイトルと最初の主要メンバー、一部のメカデザインと数枚のイメージカットだけですが、ずっとドラゴンボールを続けていただいてきた優秀なスタッフのみなさんなので 安心して おまかせすることができたのです。
In GT, the only contributions that I made were the title, the initial main character designs, some of the mecha designs, and a number of image cuts. But thanks to the excellent staff that I was having keep continuing Dragon Ball, I was able to relax and leave it to them.

とくに、アニメーターの中鶴くんは すごい腕前で、ボクの絵のクセなんかをあっというまに会得してしまい、ときどき自分でも このキャラデザインを描いたのは、ボクか?中鶴くんか? などとわからなくなることがあったりするぐらいです。
In particular, the animator Nakatsuru-kun is so skilled, and has such understanding of the peculiarities of my drawings, that there have been times that even I have been like, "Did I draw this character design, or did Nakatsuru-kun?," not being able to tell the difference.

たとえば このGTに登場する『スーパーサイヤ人4』というのは中鶴くんのデザインで、上に描いた絵は、ボクがそれを見て描いた 似顔絵なんです。うまく描いたでしょうか?
For example, "Super Saiyan 4," which appears in GT, was Nakatsuru-kun's design. The image I drew above is the likeness I made after looking at it. Did I do a good job?

原作 ドラゴンボールの 壮大なサイドストーリーであるドラゴンボールGTを ボクといっしょに楽しく観ていただければ 幸いです。
If you are able, along with me, to enjoy watching the original Dragon Ball's grand side-story Dragon Ball GT, you will be pleased.

Quote (MSX98 @ 31 Oct 2016 18:32)

HAH <3 I love inappropriate jokes lol

This post was edited by CMBurns on Nov 1 2016 11:46am
Gold: 107.77
Nov 1 2016 01:58pm
Quote (CMBurns @ Nov 1 2016 12:46pm)
I'm far from the only one that enjoyed GT. Most of the hate comes from people who hated the start of the series and it's understandable. Dragon ball isn't exactly known for its character development. This isn't game of thrones. It's a feel-good anime. Bad guy "X" shows up, good guys fight him. They lose. They train. They win. Yadi yada. We all know the recipe. Dragon ball Z has been ridiculously popular across the globe for exactly that reason. The fights of GT are the same fkin thing except the show lasts 64 episodes (of which 15-20 were aids) instead of 291. Whenever I do a rewatch of GT, I skip straight to baby showing up on earth and it feels just like watching DBZ. Canon or not doesn't matter;

HAH <3 I love inappropriate jokes lol

it's funny although very horrible
Nov 13 2016 11:58am
Quote (IgoSoHard @ Oct 25 2016 02:15pm)
Watch DB, DBZ, then DBS

This
Gold: 32,161.71
Dec 10 2016 03:02am
dbs is not what I hoped for. the filler is downright painful af and I hate the nonsensical transformations/powerups that have been provided zero explanation

dbz> all

dbgt next for me. had it's flaws for sure but the main sagas were much more gripping. not sure how dbs managed to fuck up goku vs. evil goku but it was impressive. dbs just doesn't really take itself serious in the way dbz did. thats why I wasn't a db fan either. everyone is different tho
Dec 15 2016 08:28pm
Quote (bit @ Oct 25 2016 11:03am)
I've read the 42 mangas, which ends with the defeat of Buu and Goku leaving his family to go train with Uub. I have two questions to ask:

1. Before watching anything beyond DBZ, should I restart from the beginning and watch DB and DBZ (I have only read the mangas so far).

2. What should I watch after DBZ? There are movies, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Super... I've read that GT has nothing to do with the actual series and that Super is the thing to watch for what happens next, can anyone confirm?

Cannon:
DB > DBZ > Battle of the Gods > Resurrection of F > DB Super
Resurrection of F is quickly gone over in DB Super

Extended Universe:
DB Xenoverse (1+2) (at least watch the videos)
GT is an alternate universe (this is confirmed part of the multiverse in DB Xenoverse)

Movies:
I watched them all, none are cannon, the only one I will recommend is called Wrath of the Dragon ( <3 Tapion)
Go Back To Anime Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll