d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Current State Of Us Media > And What To Do About It
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 17 2016 09:33am
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Oct 17 2016 03:59pm)
The problem is that the vast majority want to be entertained, not informed.

What we need is a good, old-fashioned autocracy so that intellectuals can set the bar for what is good entertainment and the vulgar will be too busy working for almost nothing to have the time or money to pay for such shite.

Bring back the villeins I say.
Gold: 109.01
Oct 17 2016 01:45pm
coincidence I ran across this today and it hit the head on the nail.

It always amazes me when people talk about the media today being biased and editorializing too much, compared to the "golden age" of journalism when they just reported the facts. The only fact is, such a golden age never existed.
Journalism in the past was even worse, hard as that may be to believe. Reporters and newsreaders in earlier decades didn't even pretend to be objective, they had no problem inserting their own opinions and dogmas and criticizing guests right to their faces, if they presented any kind of unorthodox views.
Classic American journalism was always a heavily conservative institution, just as much about protecting the status quo as it was about reporting the news. They gladly fanned the flames of paranoia against Native Americans, freed slaves, the Japanese during WW2, etc. All the better to boost their circulation numbers.
Watch any newsreel talking about the Cold War in the 1950s, for example, and it'll inevitably include the old Ra-Ra patriotism spiel ending with "...and that's why America is great and commies are stoopid." I can't say this video is really surprising, considering this kind of talking down to the viewer was really the norm.

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Oct 17 2016 01:46pm
Gold: 83.30
Oct 17 2016 02:14pm
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Oct 17 2016 07:45pm)
coincidence I ran across this today and it hit the head on the nail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS8j72RL55Y

I did not mean to say that there was some sort of Golden Age of media. Even though the media played a big part in Civil Rights & Vietnam.

It's just that the focus of media seems to have shifted a bit. Ethics seems to have been thrown out the window in favor of profitability.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 17 2016 03:45pm
The cable news companies put the programming on that sells the most ad space for their customers, who are advertisers and not viewers.

It isn't a charity.
Gold: 40.42
Oct 17 2016 05:26pm
What we need are large organizations with political clout that are willing to support and defend tenacious assholes whose life's passion is shining a spotlight on the world no matter the personal risk or cost.

The problem is that we're running out of those.
Gold: 200.83
Oct 17 2016 07:28pm
If you don't like it don't watch it. They will change when they aren't making money or competition will replace them.
Gold: 152.00
Oct 17 2016 08:08pm
Quote (majorblood @ Oct 17 2016 09:28pm)
If you don't like it don't watch it. They will change when they aren't making money or competition will replace them.

They won't change though because they are making money and good journalism would make less money.
Gold: 2,620.00
Oct 17 2016 08:25pm
Speaking of terrible media, here is Politico chief correspondent Glenn Thrush communicating with the Clinton campaign, asking for the campaign's pre-approval before publishing an article:

"No worries Because I have become a hack I will send u the whole section that pertains to u,” Thrush wrote to Podesta. “Please don’t share or tell anyone I did this Tell me if I fucked up anything.”

This is just a week after WikiLeaks demonstrated that MSNBC colluded with the Clinton campaign by giving Hillary Clinton pre-arranged questions, with HRC reading from a pre-written script.

The amount of collusion between mainstream media outlets and political candidates should disturb even the staunchest of Clinton supporters, but I imagine most only care about winning the election at this point and will brush aside any blatant collusion.
Gold: 200.83
Oct 17 2016 08:38pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Oct 17 2016 06:08pm)
They won't change though because they are making money and good journalism would make less money.

I just said how this could change
Quote (ThatAlex @ Oct 17 2016 06:25pm)
Speaking of terrible media, here is Politico chief correspondent Glenn Thrush communicating with the Clinton campaign, asking for the campaign's pre-approval before publishing an article:

"No worries Because I have become a hack I will send u the whole section that pertains to u,” Thrush wrote to Podesta. “Please don’t share or tell anyone I did this Tell me if I fucked up anything.”

This is just a week after WikiLeaks demonstrated that MSNBC colluded with the Clinton campaign by giving Hillary Clinton pre-arranged questions, with HRC reading from a pre-written script.

The amount of collusion between mainstream media outlets and political candidates should disturb even the staunchest of Clinton supporters, but I imagine most only care about winning the election at this point and will brush aside any blatant collusion.

https://sli.mg/a/yCsMAE

This post was edited by majorblood on Oct 17 2016 08:39pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll