d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > How Do I Season A Cast Iron Pan?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Oct 6 2016 12:33pm
So I have a cast iron pan. I read that if I oil it and heat it up/bake it, that it'll be "seasoned" and nothing will ever stick to it again.

I've done that like 5 times, but after I cook in it, there's always a bunch of shit stuck to it, so I have to wash it out, then it's not non-stick anymore.

What do I do?
Gold: 22,202.22
Gold: 0.00
Oct 7 2016 04:18am
Not sure about cast iron but I do purchase carbon steel pans and season them.
I believe they are done similarly.
First you burn the hell out of it (put it on the burner and heat it up).
Carbon steel usually turns from metallic silver to a metallic blue color when it's overheated.
You then soak plenty of paper towel with neutral oil and rub it in and around the pan.
Voila - seasoned carbon steel.
Gold: 51.00
Oct 7 2016 08:21am
Never use soap in cast iron pans. When you're done cooking with it just fill it with water and let it boil. As it is boiling scrape up all the left over food in it and dump it out while it is still hot. Place it back on the heat source grab a few paper towels and put vegetable oil on them. Carefully wipe the oil drenched paper towels around the pan until it looks clean and "oily". Get another fresh towel with oil on it wipe it down again on the inside. Let it sit for a minute so all the pores of the iron soak up the oil. Let it cool off and put it away.
Gold: 13.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 10 2016 01:20pm
Quote (Evil_Life @ Oct 7 2016 10:21am)
Never use soap in cast iron pans. When you're done cooking with it just fill it with water and let it boil. As it is boiling scrape up all the left over food in it and dump it out while it is still hot. Place it back on the heat source grab a few paper towels and put vegetable oil on them. Carefully wipe the oil drenched paper towels around the pan until it looks clean and "oily". Get another fresh towel with oil on it wipe it down again on the inside. Let it sit for a minute so all the pores of the iron soak up the oil. Let it cool off and put it away.

Pretty much this.

Try to avoid cooking with overly sticky foods (anything with breading or starch is hard to get off) at first to make it easier to clean. If you wash it out right away or boil it when stuck and just run a wet rag through to get the food out it will come clean. You can apply some force as long as the fabric you use to clean it out isn't abrasive. Never use soap or abrasive materials (steel wool, etc. is bad. We have used the abrasive side of a sponge and that seems to work well without damaging the seasoning). Just keep it clean and don't let the stuck on food sit for too long and don't let it sit wet. After it is clean just apply oil using a paper towel until it has a nice coat. Always thoroughly dry the pan before applying the oil. After the oil is applied just let it soak it up and you're good to go.

It may seem like it isn't working at first but after a while you'll start to notice it gets easier and easier to clean. We don't even have to boil ours anymore and we cook all sorts of stuff in it. They become so easy to clean and work wonders on the food!

Hit me up on vent later if you need more info :wub:

This post was edited by Lethardus on Oct 10 2016 01:23pm
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll