d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Open And Shut Case
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,621.00
Sep 22 2016 12:51pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 22 2016 11:28am)
anecdotal proof at best, 60-120 credit cops are documented on the rise, and will remain on the rise. The trend isn't even old enough to have a statistically significant downturn yet...

Assuming this is true, it's only tangentially relevant. The drumbeat has been cops are racist, white cops killing backs, lack of diversity, not that we need better educated cops. Is it that much of a stretch for administrators to look for the same demographics to police those communities?
It's kind of hard to keep yelling racism, when it's black cops shooting other blacks

And yes lol anecdotal, I'm totally pulling this stuff out of my ass, it's not like there's quotas for specific demographics

My city is one of many that sees that having a diverse police force is better than a more educated police force, at least in theory, we'll see.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Sep 22 2016 12:56pm
Gold: 40.42
Sep 22 2016 12:55pm

not that tough tbh
Gold: 2,489.69
Sep 22 2016 01:34pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 22 2016 12:51pm)
Assuming this is true, it's only tangentially relevant. The drumbeat has been cops are racist, white cops killing backs, lack of diversity, not that we need better educated cops. Is it that much of a stretch for administrators to look for the same demographics to police those communities?
It's kind of hard to keep yelling racism, when it's black cops shooting other blacks

And yes lol anecdotal, I'm totally pulling this stuff out of my ass, it's not like there's quotas for specific demographics

My city is one of many that sees that having a diverse police force is better than a more educated police force, at least in theory, we'll see.

better education for officers has been a staple of CJ reform for decades, you're just looking at SJW tumblr feeds if you think calling for better education and training is a new or fringe suggestion.

Quotas for hiring are an older reform than initiatives to hire bachelor+ candidates, hire ed. cops is a new trend and is objectively on the rise, although as i said its not an old enough trend for the data to show a statistically significant down turn like you're suggesting (even though that downturn on average doesn't exist).
Gold: 7,621.00
Sep 22 2016 01:50pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 22 2016 12:34pm)
better education for officers has been a staple of CJ reform for decades, you're just looking at SJW tumblr feeds if you think calling for better education and training is a new or fringe suggestion.

Quotas for hiring are an older reform than initiatives to hire bachelor+ candidates, hire ed. cops is a new trend and is objectively on the rise, although as i said its not an old enough trend for the data to show a statistically significant down turn like you're suggesting (even though that downturn on average doesn't exist).

You keep saying this as if I deny that administrators want better educated cops. No one is disputing that, I'm saying as of lately a diverse police force takes precedence over education. They didn't lower the requerments in my city because they didn't get enough applicant they did so because they couldn't get enough applicants from a specific demographic.
Gold: 2,489.69
Sep 22 2016 02:15pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 22 2016 01:50pm)
You keep saying this as if I deny that administrators want better educated cops. No one is disputing that, I'm saying as of lately a diverse police force takes precedence over education. They didn't lower the requerments in my city because they didn't get enough applicant they did so because they couldn't get enough applicants from a specific demographic.

You said:

At this point many police departments are moving away from the thought process that a better educated police officer is the best option.

I didn't see this edit on a later post:

I took your first post as countering known trends, if you're first post was entirely anecdotal that's fine, i assumed you were claiming that "many" departments are moving away from higher ed requirements as in a large percent as a nationwide phenomenon.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll