d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Agree Or Disagree
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 1,803.00
Sep 22 2016 12:44am
Friend (member of airforce) made a Facebook video on the subject which has 1400 views and quite a few shares so far. I of course was one of the leading arguments. I'd link you guys to it if I could trust that jsp wouldn't have some weirdos messaging people, etc. :zzz:

Anyway I want to know your guys thoughts on the situation and I'd like to see some debating.
Gold: 5,169.82
Sep 22 2016 12:54am
If you're not allowed to sit down for the anthem, then standing up for it isn't a sign of respect -- it's a sign of wanting to abide by some rules that someone else has set for you.

You cannot force someone to respect you. If this person feels wronged by the USA, then he should have the right to show this.
Gold: 171.76
Sep 22 2016 12:58am
I picked dislike but honestly im not invested enough to care either way.

The truth is the real fight in this world isnt blacks vs whites

Its those with money and or power against those that dont have those things.

It just happens that a lot of haves happen to be white... but the vast majority of white people are low or middle class people that get shit on just the same as everyone else.

There are obviously inherant benefits to being white ( I get the benefit of the doubt from most people )

My problem with colin kaepernick beyond the fact that he is an attrocious football player is that he is a have... he speaks about things he knows nothing about ... he has been pampered for a very long time ...and even before that grew up in a white household that was middle to upper class... the dude knows shit all about suffering....especially the suffering of black people.

Its easy to be an arm chair activist... the dudes done shit all to actually help improve the world

Sep 22 2016 01:24am
His points were that it was very disrespectful to veterans those who have died serving. Saying Kaepernick should have found other ways to get his message out.
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 22 2016 02:01am
I think that if some white Christian players decided to not stand for the national anthem because of the gay marriage decision the league and the media wouldn't have reacted in a similar way. I'm guessing the league would come out strongly ridiculing the action and the media would have conversations about how a certain segment of the population is still homophobic and backwards.

But hey, the white supremacist patriarchy only goes so far.
Gold: 152.00
Sep 22 2016 02:13am
Quote (howtodisappearcompletely @ Sep 22 2016 02:54am)
If you're not allowed to sit down for the anthem, then standing up for it isn't a sign of respect -- it's a sign of wanting to abide by some rules that someone else has set for you.

That's a really good way to look at it.
Gold: 5,169.82
Sep 22 2016 02:14am
Quote (tommyd323 @ Sep 22 2016 09:24am)
His points were that it was very disrespectful to veterans those who have died serving. Saying Kaepernick should have found other ways to get his message out.

There have been people all over the world who died for all kinds of things. Why does disagreeing with X imply disrespect towards people who fought/died for X? And even if you can answer that, why do people who die for something deserve our unconditional respect?

I mean, by this logic you could say we should all respect ISIS, as plenty of people have died serving ISIS.
Gold: 2,489.69
Sep 22 2016 06:33am
Quote (bitg_pj @ Sep 22 2016 12:58am)
I picked dislike but honestly i cant read.

It just happens that a lot of haves happen to be white... but the vast majority of white people are low or middle class people that get shit on just the same as everyone else.

There are obviously inherant benefits to being white ( I get the benefit of the doubt from most people )

My problem with colin kaepernick beyond the fact that he is an attrocious football player is that he is a have... he speaks about things he knows nothing about ... he has been pampered for a very long time ...and even before that grew up in a white household that was middle to upper class... the dude knows shit all about suffering....especially the suffering of black people.

Its easy to be an arm chair activist... the dudes done shit all to actually help improve the world

ftfy
Gold: 1.50
Sep 22 2016 06:37am
No one cares about your friends facebook.com videos.
Kaepernick is nothing more than a south park joke.

Great thread.
Sep 22 2016 08:41am
Quote (bitg_pj @ Sep 22 2016 01:58am)
I picked dislike but honestly im not invested enough to care either way.

I'm sure he still had to deal with some racist people.

And why is it that because he's successful, he cannot try to help. I guess I shouldn't help because I'm not a poor black person or never went through that.

Quote (HOWTODISAPPEARCOMPLETELY @ Sep 22 2016 03:14am)
There have been people all over the world who died for all kinds of things. Why does disagreeing with X imply disrespect towards people who fought/died for X? And even if you can answer that, why do people who die for something deserve our unconditional respect?

I mean, by this logic you could say we should all respect ISIS, as plenty of people have died serving ISIS.

I'm not sure but I'm sure they'd say Isis didn't die for our freedoms, die protecting us.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll