d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Is Fat Shaming Effective In Society ? > Curious
Prev1789
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 21 2016 09:23am
Quote (Beowulf @ 20 Sep 2016 20:33)
We should identify whatever it is that makes a person a miserable fuck toward others and focus on flipping that switch to off so all of the other groups that have been tortured for so long can get a break for a while

Shaming would be effective actually. It flips switches to how our brain is wired to: "wanting to fit in". The downside is that the shamed feels miserable, breaks trust with the offender, self esteem drops and gets somewhat disconnected towards others.
It's easy and works when you want to control or trigger someone due to the wiring of our brains. The harm done, almost every time, is more severe than the benefits.

If ppl want to help ppl and make them change, you will have to inspire them.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Sep 21 2016 09:34am
Gold: Locked
Sep 21 2016 11:35am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Sep 21 2016 03:53am)
Do what Bard suggested. If you're there with them for a lot of the steps, then they would be more motivated.

Shaming is going to happen regardless of whether you do it or not. People who are at the morbid stage already have personal shame and more shame that comes from societal expectations.

I've lost 60 pounds the last year , I'm at 200. Probably the goal is to reach 175-180 eventually. It sort of started to happen. But shame played a part, but fear of what being at the weight I was for the rest of my life would probably leave me with diabetes and worse problems considering my family history.

Your friend probably already has experienced shame. If that won't help them, more shame probably isn't the answer.

Wait, slow down. You're saying that...you were internally motivated and made the choice on your own?
Gold: 119,903.34
Sep 21 2016 12:44pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Sep 21 2016 12:35pm)
Wait, slow down. You're saying that...you were internally motivated and made the choice on your own?

I'd say the bigger motivator was I wanted to lose weight and concerns about health. But shame for sure plays a role. Whether it be internal or external.

Although at least for the topic, Phil shouldn't go out of his way to try and make his friend feel like shit. But rather try to somehow get his friend motivated to make changes.

But I mean all I've really been doing the last year is just counting the calories I eat everyday. I try very hard to not go over 2k and for the most part I haven't changed what I've eaten in respect to carbs or processed food. I rarely drink pop. I've been living off tuna/oatmeal/ramen/chicken and rice and vegetables and fruit pretty much. Mostly tuna and ramen though. But my work has free food in the break room such as donuts and all the bad stuff and I still eat that stuff all the time, I just try to keep the calorie intake down.

I'm sure I should try and cut the sodium down in my diet but not really worried about that at the moment.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Sep 21 2016 12:46pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789
Add Reply New Topic New Poll