d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Fall Campaign > Wh, Senate, House Elections
Prev123413Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 31 2016 05:33pm
IN. Rep. Todd Young vs. former Sen. Evan Bayh

Hey I'm thinking about voting for bayh...Do you know anything about this man? I got some smut junk mail against him today that i didn't read was just wondering if you had an opinion
Gold: 20.31
Aug 31 2016 05:45pm
Quote (stimpy6298 @ Aug 31 2016 04:33pm)

Hey I'm thinking about voting for bayh...Do you know anything about this man? I got some smut junk mail against him today that i didn't read was just wondering if you had an opinion

He's very interesting in that he's not a natural fit for today's politics, which is crazy considering he's a political legacy: his father is iconic Senator Birch Bayh, who served for 3 terms before losing to Dan Quayle in 1980. Evan was the Secretary of State in Indiana before serving as Governor in the '90s, and then two terms as Senator. He retired in 2010 before becoming an adviser to McGuireWoods, he consulted for the conservative U.S. Chamber of Commerce (who recently scumbagged him by endorsing his opponent), and some other corporate law and agricultural interests. He spent some time as an analyst on Fox News in the leadup to the 2010 midterm election.

He's a typical conservative Democrat from a red state, and was high on Obama's shortlist to be Vice President behind both Biden and Kaine. He's very respected by both parties in the Senate from having worked with so many members to get cosponsorships on bills and amendments, I'm particularly happy he's running because it would really help having him back in the Senate to get the chamber working again.
Aug 31 2016 05:49pm
Quote (Pollster @ Aug 31 2016 06:45pm)
He's very interesting in that he's not a natural fit for today's politics, which is crazy considering he's a political legacy: his father is iconic Senator Birch Bayh, who served for 3 terms before losing to Dan Quayle in 1980. Evan was the Secretary of State in Indiana before serving as Governor in the '90s, and then two terms as Senator. He retired in 2010 before becoming an adviser to McGuireWoods, he consulted for the conservative U.S. Chamber of Commerce (who recently scumbagged him by endorsing his opponent), and some other corporate law and agricultural interests. He spent some time as an analyst on Fox News in the leadup to the 2010 midterm election.

He's a typical conservative Democrat from a red state, and was high on Obama's shortlist to be Vice President behind both Biden and Kaine. He's very respected by both parties in the Senate from having worked with so many members to get cosponsorships on bills and amendments, I'm particularly happy he's running because it would really help having him back in the Senate to get the chamber working again.

ya i know he's got a remarkable track record but not really sure about this young guy...probably going to vote for Evan...I think he'll easily win the election considering he's a known figure in our state..thanks for the info
Gold: 12,730.67
Aug 31 2016 11:42pm
Quote (stimpy6298 @ Aug 31 2016 03:33pm)

Bayh is fucking awesome. If we had more people like Bayh on both sides, we'd be in MUCH better shape.
Sep 1 2016 09:09am
Quote (thundercock @ Aug 31 2016 10:42pm)
Bayh is fucking awesome. If we had more people like Bayh on both sides, we'd be in MUCH better shape.

Problem being there's no such thing as a Republican version of Bayh post-2000, so it doesn't work. The Democrats routed them in 2006 and 2008, then their own party started cannibalizing them every 2 years in 2010. Pretty soon the Senate GOP caucus will be as extreme as the House GOP caucus.

The Democrats for their part still had plenty of conservative Democrats around in the Senate up until 2014 but a lot of them lost due to the historically-low turnout. That red-state coalition of Landrieu, Pryor, Begich, and Hagan would have been really nice to have around for the next 6-12 years, especially compared to the waste of space that's been there instead.

Quote (stimpy6298 @ Aug 31 2016 04:49pm)
ya i know he's got a remarkable track record but not really sure about this young guy...probably going to vote for Evan...I think he'll easily win the election considering he's a known figure in our state..thanks for the info

Young has a bright spot on his bio: time in Navy intelligence. After that he just spent time at the conservative Heritage Foundation think-tank and in state politics. He's a driftwood Congressman (2010) who has accomplished nothing of note. The real knock against him (beyond the accomplishment thing) is that he legally should not be the GOP nominee: he didn't submit enough valid signatures. Tea Party Rep. Marlin Stutzman should have won the nomination by default because at least he submitted enough signatures, but Young's allies in the state capital just bailed him out by deadlocking in a 2-2 tie vote in order to get him on the ballot anyway, because they're a bunch of hacks and they think he stood a better chance of winning a GE than Stutzman.
Sep 1 2016 10:01am
Just a kitchen sink update of the Presidential race over the past couple of days:

Clinton's making a six-figure ad buy in AZ; she's going to run the "Role Model" ad (the one with young kids watching Trump say divisive, controversial things on TV) -- http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/clinton-makes-ad-buy-in-arizona-227617
Trump's speaking at the American Legion Conference in Cincinnati, one day after Clinton did -- http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/trump-speech-american-legion-227635
Biden's got a rally today for Clinton in Cleveland
Clinton rolled out the first-ever endorsements from two four-star Army Generals, David Maddox and Bob Sennewald -- http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/294068-clinton-wins-endorsement-of-two-retired-four-star
2010 Republican candidate for California Governor Meg Whitman joined Clinton on the trail in Denver yesterday -- http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/293739-meg-whitman-to-campaign-for-clinton-on-tuesday
Trump met with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto yesterday (probably heard about that one already)
Kaine had his 2nd event in 2 days in Pennsylvania -- http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elections/mc-tim-kaine-lehigh-valley-20160831-story.html
Pence had a town hall event, plus 2 other public events in Georgia
Mother Jones broke the story that Trump’s modeling agency encouraged foreign models to violate immigration laws, and hired them to work illegally through Trump’s agency -- http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/donald-trump-model-management-illegal-immigration
Gold: 500.00
Sep 1 2016 10:37am
Jay, how resourceful are you with regards to pulling early voting data from a by-election in a Canadian city?
Sep 1 2016 03:22pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Sep 1 2016 11:37am)
Jay, how resourceful are you with regards to pulling early voting data from a by-election in a Canadian city?

GTFO with the Canadian bullshit nobody cares about your elections
Gold: 500.00
Sep 1 2016 04:56pm
Quote (stimpy6298 @ Sep 1 2016 04:22pm)

you need a new hobby, i'd suggest writing more entries in your diary http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=74932990&f=27
Gold: 7,271.48
Sep 1 2016 05:09pm
Quote (stimpy6298 @ Sep 1 2016 03:22pm)

Like with most of Americas issues you could learn / improve a lot by looking at what we do but ya lol muricas hat is much easier way to think.

This post was edited by remco6 on Sep 1 2016 05:12pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123413Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll