d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Is The Moon An Artificial Satelite? > Do Not Just Dismiss This
Prev18910
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 23 2016 12:35am
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Aug 22 2016 06:44pm)
I picked two of these quotes at random and couldn't find any references to them on anything but conspiracy theory sites for the first few pages of Google. So uh... I don't think those people are stupid, but I'm starting to think that folks who take the Internet at face value might be.

so you use an "internet search" to back up your bias, claims he did "research" - but then tells everyone to not believe things on the internet :blink:

This post was edited by card_sultan on Aug 23 2016 12:36am
Gold: 16,240.00
Aug 23 2016 01:16am
the moon also does exactly one rotation as it orbits so it's always facing us in the same direction!
Gold: 40.42
Aug 23 2016 01:41am
Quote (card_sultan @ 22 Aug 2016 22:35)
so you use an "internet search" to back up your bias, claims he did "research" - but then tells everyone to not believe things on the internet :blink:

I searched for direct quotes on Google with quotation marks and it wasn't found on any reputable site or in any Google books results out of over 100M books.

I pretty specifically didn't use the word research to describe what I did. I pointed out that quotes that are being attributed to major scientists should probably be linked to those scientists rather than someone just believing a random Internet list of quotes.

ETA: The moral of the story being that this is an extraordinary claim, which comes with a fairly famous price when you're trying to prove it.

This post was edited by AiNedeSpelCzech on Aug 23 2016 01:42am
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 23 2016 02:07am
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Aug 22 2016 09:41pm)
I searched for direct quotes on Google with quotation marks and it wasn't found on any reputable site or in any Google books results out of over 100M books.

I pretty specifically didn't use the word research to describe what I did. I pointed out that quotes that are being attributed to major scientists should probably be linked to those scientists rather than someone just believing a random Internet list of quotes.

ETA: The moral of the story being that this is an extraordinary claim, which comes with a fairly famous price when you're trying to prove it.

so are you claiming that every video and every book every written and every conversation ever , actual text of it is now searchable on google - but if anyone puts that video on youtube or talks about any subject you dont like - it is no longer valid. Internet logic at it finest.

Gold: 40.42
Aug 23 2016 03:29pm
Quote (card_sultan @ 23 Aug 2016 00:07)
so are you claiming that every video and every book every written and every conversation ever , actual text of it is now searchable on google - but if anyone puts that video on youtube or talks about any subject you dont like - it is no longer valid. Internet logic at it finest.

I'm not saying that at all. That's a terrible interpretation of what I said.

I said that the quotes are not easily verified and asked him to provide verification. He said something ridiculous about how kids these days don't read books, so I pointed out that Google actually covers books.

Glad I could clear that up
Gold: 0.07
Warn: 20%
Aug 23 2016 10:54pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Aug 23 2016 02:29pm)
I'm not saying that at all. That's a terrible interpretation of what I said.

I said that the quotes are not easily verified and asked him to provide verification. He said something ridiculous about how kids these days don't read books, so I pointed out that Google actually covers books.

Glad I could clear that up

Yet he ignored everything else, like how I brought up the materials on surface that should not be there. Or provided the math (in my sig link) that I discovered reading the Quadrivium (not a conspiracy book at all, all about the 4 liberal arts). Most these quotes were in letters, interviews, and videos as well. So yes a lot would not show up in book searches!

Giordano Bruno (a 16th century Italian philosopher) is reputed to have written in De Immenso: (Bk IV, x, pp. 56-57): “There are those who have believed that there was a certain time (as our Mythologian says) when the moon, which was believed to be younger than the sun, was not yet created. The Arcadians, who dwelt not far from the Po, are believed to have been in existence before it (the moon).” “Theodorus writes in his first book that the moon had appeared a little while before the war which was fought by Hercules against the giants. Aristochius and Dionysius Chalcidensis, in the first of their works, confirm the same.” “Mnaseas said that the Arcadians were born before the moon, and so they were called ‘proselenian’; meaning, ‘before the moon’.”

Aristotle wrote that Arcadia in Greece, before being inhabited by the Hellenes, had a population of Pelasgians, and that these aborigines occupied the land already before there was a moon in the sky above the Earth; for this reason they were called Proselenes.

Some allusions to the time before there was a Moon may be found also in the Scriptures. In Job 25:5 the grandeur of the Lord who “Makes peace in the heights” is praised and the time is mentioned “before [there was] a moon and it did not shine.” Also in Psalm 72:5 it is said: “Thou wast feared since [the time of] the sun and before [the time of] the moon, a generation of generations.” A “generation of generations” means a very long time. Of course, it is of no use to counter this psalm with the myth of the first chapter of Genesis, a tale brought down from exotic and later sources.

This post was edited by MultiMulti on Aug 23 2016 11:04pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev18910
Add Reply New Topic New Poll