d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Ryan's Blog Is Better Than Ever, Baby... > The New And Improved Captain's Log!
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 3.60
Sep 9 2016 11:38pm
I've been playing a lot of Marvel Heroes 2016 lately.
Three of my favorite signatures that I have saved.
Daredevil, Jubilee and the darling Lady Deadpool.

Sep 14 2016 03:15am

It's already Wednesday, or hump day as some will call it, and I'm looking forward to watching some exciting football games this week.

The #6 ranked and 2-0 Houston Cougars play the 2-0 Cincinnati Bearcats on Thursday Night (tomorrow). It's a 6:30 PM kickoff on ESPN. This has potential to be a tough road game on National TV but I expect the Cougars to take care of business. They had defeated the Lamar Cardinals 42-0 in their last game. It was a rain-filled game that saw a couple of lengthy rain delays and star quarterback Greg Ward Jr. did not play but they still won decisively.

The Houston Cougars defense is as good as any in the country. Freshman defensive tackle Ed Oliver is something special to watch.
He was a five-star recruit and the best defensive player in the country coming out of high school. He choose U of H over every other school.

And also the 1-0 Houston Texans, fresh off their 23-14 Week 1 win over the Chicago Bears, are hosting the 1-0 Kansas City Chiefs at NRG Stadium at 12 noontime on Sunday. The Texans will be seeking a little revenge, as the Kansas City Chiefs had beaten the Texans twice at NRG Stadium last year, both in the regular season and playoffs (30-0 spanking in the AFC wild-card game).

So needless to say the Houston Texans will be excited to play a really good Chiefs team that had owned us last year.
The Kansas City Chiefs have a solid defense, a great head coach in Andy Reid and a reliable quarterback in Alex Smith.

The Texans feature a dominating defense: J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus are all relentless pass rushers.
Brock Osweiler looks to be the franchise quarterback that we have always lacked. I'm most excited about his progression.

Will Fuller and Braxton Miller are developing nicely. Fuller is already making big-time plays as a rookie wide receiver.
Lamer Miller is dangerous in open space out of the backfield and DeAndre Hopkins continues his Touchdown barrage.

It will be interesting to see how this new and improved Houston Texans team performs against the Kansas City Chiefs.
But I have to wait until Sunday to find out. In the mean time I'm ready to watch the Houston Cougars play tomorrow night!

Oct 1 2016 05:40pm
I haven't posted on D2jsp for a few weeks. There is a lot I want to touch on.
But first I must admit that I've been feeling depressed and I haven't felt like posting.

The undefeated and #6 ranked Houston Cougars are playing some exciting college football. They are now a perfect 5-0 and continue to shake up the constant debates around the country when it comes to everybody's Final Four playoff predictions. But even that is hard for me to enjoy right now. I'm trying my best to just enjoy the days.

The Astros missing the playoffs and J.J. Watt being injured for the season with the Texans. The fact I lost a signature bet, and a lot of forum gold, on the Texans' 27-0 loss to the Patriots. And even the rebuilding Rockets trying to prepare for the upcoming season. None of that matters to me anymore. Sports is sports. I'm tired of being heavily invested into it, emotionally, when at the end of the day it's just a nice distraction and nothing more.

When something tragic happens it will always put everything in perspective.

Sadly, 24-year-old Jose Fernandez was one of my favorite players to watch in all of baseball. He was the best young pitcher in the game. His recent death has really saddened me and I haven't been in a good mood to discuss sports. I have to force myself to enjoy sports right now.

I'm not sure if it was on this website, or on a Houston Astros blog I used to frequently write in, I even suggested that the Astros trade the farm for superstar ace Jose Fernandez last off-season. I was okay with the Astros giving up the likes of Lance McCullers, George Springer, Alex Bregman, Joe Musgrove, A.J. Reed, Daz Cameron and Kyle Tucker.

That is probably the best package, a combination of those players, that we could have put together without giving up Carlos Correa. The Marlins general manager had inquired about Carlos Correa and George Springer, a couple years earlier, when the Astros had interest in trading for right fielder Giancarlo Stanton.

The Miami Marlins were entertaining trade offers for Jose Fernandez last winter but they were asking for the moon and then some, and rightfully so. It would have taken a team offering five or six really good young players for the Marlins to even consider dealing him via a trade. A young superstar starting pitcher and ace has so much value in the game today it's simply hard to put a trade value on that.

The Astros, Cubs, Red Sox and Dodgers were the four teams being linked to a potential Jose Fernandez trade. Because they all had a surplus of young talent, both Major League ready and prospect wise, that they could have dealt to the Marlins for him.

I would have loved to have seen Jose Fernandez pitching in an Astros uniform at some point in the future. Now he won't even pitch with the Miami Marlins anymore. I feel terrible over his loss. A boating accident is hard to comprehend. Traveling over 50-55 MPH in the darkened skies at those hours (2-3 AM)?

I wish those three men had been more cautious of their surroundings. One of the young men killed had even texted his friend that boating in the dark is something he had only done one time before and it was a terrifying experience for him. The friend texting him back tried to convince him not to go and to stop Jose Fernandez from going as well.

Now that I've gotten these sad feelings out of my system, I'll try to blog again shortly.

This post was edited by Madmartigan on Oct 1 2016 05:47pm
Oct 1 2016 06:04pm
Let me just say that I'm very proud of the Houston Astros for producing a winning record in 2016. We are 83-77 going into our final two games as I type this. I know it was a long and tough season and we failed to make the playoffs. But our guys fought hard all year long and overcame several losing skids and tough injuries.

The toughest part to me was going 3-15 in the 18 games versus the Texas Rangers. We knew going into the season that those were the games we had to win and we failed to do so. A lot of those games were heartbreaking one or two-run losses. That alone was the difference in the 2016 AL West.

If we had simply gone .500 against the Rangers (9-9) we'd have made the playoffs as the 2016 AL West division champions, much less had to worry about the first or second wild-card spot. Which we certainly had a chance going into our final 10 games. We were only 1 game back of the Orioles for the second wild-card spot with 10 games left, but that 2-5 home stand against the Angels and Mariners knocked us out of contention. It made the final three games at Anaheim meaningless.

I'm actually very excited to see what we can do in free agency this winter. I hope we pounce on some golden opportunities early and often. As in mid November if possible. The Houston Astros have to put together a really good hot stove league (free agency period) at the middle of next month if they expect to take the next step in 2017.

Edwin Encarnacion turns 34 years old in January but this is a guy that is at the top of my free agency wish list. He can still be an ideal DH for any American League team lacking a good middle-of-the-order lineup. Which the Astros certainly fall under that category. Our 4-5-6 hitters have compiled some of the worst production in the entire league over the past two years. And our 7-8-9 hitters have been even more dismal with their lack of production but we'll save that discussion for another day. That to me is where we have been losing a lot of games. A lack of consistently good offensive production once you get past our best hitters, which all hit at the top of the batting order.

Edwin Encarnacion is hitting .263 with 42 home runs and 127 RBIs (.355 on-base %) this season with a couple games left to play. He's the type of hitter who could solve our major need in that #4 or #5 spot in the batting order. That could give us a decent chance, I think, to overtake the Texas Rangers for the AL West division title in 2017 and 2018. At least for a couple years.

Edwin Encarnacion is likely going to leave Toronto this winter. He's probably looking for one more big contract. I doubt any team is going to offer him anymore than a two or three-year deal. Keep in mind his last contract was roughly $30 million over three years ($10 million per season). His production is easily worth in the $15 million to $20 million per year range.

He would be more enticing for the Astros if he were willing to take a one year deal because Jeff Luhnow and the Astros aren't afraid to spend big money on lesser years. Because we have Colby Rasmus and his big contract coming off the books (one year and $15.8 million to be exact).

So if we were willing to pay Rasmus one year and nearly $16 million last off-season. Could we be creative enough to spend big money on Edwin Encarnacion for one or two years? At close to $20 million per year?

I understand the Astros may have more pressing needs in the starting rotation, but anything short of a trade (Chris Archer acquisition) there aren't any impact free agent starting pitchers that really excite me.

We're better off hoping for good health to Lance Mccullers and a bounce back year in 2017 from Dallas Keuchel. If those two guys can stay healthy and carry us in 2017, I think we're good enough to compete with the Texas Rangers in the AL West.

Our bullpen could use another reliable lefty reliever but overall they weren't bad this season. For a while they carried the team. In fact, from May 1 to July 1, our pitching was as good as any in all of baseball for a two-month stretch. During that time we had the best Team ERA in the American League (starting rotation and bullpen combined), and we had the third most wins in all of baseball during that time frame.

Sadly, our arms ran out of gas. Keuchel and McCullers were injured the final month, or two, in McCullers case. And our bullpen arms just wore down and that happens having to lean on them the bulk of the season. Overused bullpen arms.

But the pitching, when healthy, is good enough I think....

I'm more concerned with our everyday lineup which is why I would like to see the Astros pursue a big bat like Edwin Encarnacion. I'm assuming if we were aggressive enough and chased a big bat like that, our lineup could look something like this going into 2017...

Right Field - George Springer
Third Base - Alex Bregman
Second Base - Jose Altuve
Shortstop - Carlos Correa
DH - Edwin Encarnacion
Left Field - Yullieski Gurriel
First Base - A.J. Reed
Catcher - Evan Gattis
Center Field - Jake Marisnick

I'm hoping A.J. Reed can finally take control of first base. If not, I suppose you can even play Encarnacion or Gurriel at first base. But that lineup looks a lot better to me than it has over the past few years. We should be able to score a lot of runs.

Maybe we should try and pursue a free agent center fielder. Yoenis Cespedes is actually rated the top free agent this winter. A center fielder that can hit for power and drive in runs. Although Cespedes has played more left field with the Mets this past year..

But I'm okay having a one-dimensional defensive game changer that is a poor hitter, like Jake Marisnick hitting 9th in our lineup if we signed Encarnacion to DH and enhance the middle of our lineup. I think signing Encarnacion is more realistic for us than entering the Cespedes sweepstakes.

Too long: Didn't Read version - I feel like our best chance to be really good in 2017 is to improve the middle of our batting order. That has the potential to give us more wins than what we've had the past two years.

Another good starting pitcher and reliever wouldn't hurt, but when healthy I feel like our pitching can be pretty good. They were the best in the American League, ERA wise, for a good two-month stretch this past season.

I just don't see us being able to beat any of the elite teams in the American League in a series, unless we greatly improve our everyday batting order. We need to be able to score a lot more runs per game. Otherwise teams like the Rangers and Red Sox will continue to own us.

We need that one more thumper in the middle of our lineup. Maybe even two more big bats, although I think Yullieski Gurriel will be really good with a full MLB season under his belt next year. So that being said we just need one really good, impact bat in the middle of our lineup. It seems easy enough of a wish list although it still takes our owner Jim Crane giving the green light to spend the big money.

If we can simply add a reliable power hitter and run producer like Edwin Encarnacion, and pray for good health, I think we'll be good to go in 2017. At the very least put ourselves in position to compete for the playoffs and be relevant for a third straight year.
Oct 1 2016 09:11pm
I'm watching the Astros at Angels game on Root Sports right now (2-0 Astros lead in the top of the 7th), and they flashed a stat across the screen showing how amazing our outfield defense has been this season. 40 total outfield assists which ranked #1 in all of baseball. George Springer (12 assists) and Jake Marisnick (8 assists) both had a .994 fielding percentage. A lot of base runners (third and first base coaches) know not to try and advance an extra base on Springer's strong arm otherwise he would have a lot more outfield assists.

Our infield defense was pretty good too and they made huge strides, especially Carlos Correa. This team had shown some good things this year. Unfortunately our pitching only dominated for a couple months and our hitting was inconsistent all year long.

Our team defense, overall, ranked #1 in all of baseball for most of this year. Until our recent home lapse that eliminated us from playoff contention. We have a team fielding percentage of .987 which is tied for 3rd best with three other teams (Red Sox, Tigers and Dodgers). The top two defensive teams this year (Giants and Nationals) are tied with a .988 fielding percentage.

Just a small tidbit I guess. I feel like we have the pitching when healthy, we certainly have the team defense. What we need is more hitting in the middle of our lineup. Also I forgot to mention Tyler White (hitting .222). Between him and A.J. Reed (hitting .169 in 118 at-bats), I just hope one of them step up and becomes a legitimate MLB first baseman in 2017. We can't have both of them struggling as badly as they did at the plate this year.

Tyler White was sensational his first few weeks in the Major Leagues (AL player of the week) but he took a huge nose dive after that. Only recently was he starting to hit well again. I just like A.J. Reed's upside a little more than White's despite the pathetic .169 batting average. I think he'll show a lot more production next year, hitting for a much higher batting average and a lot of home runs as well, with a full off-season to work on things.

A.J. Reed has found a way to succeed at every level (high school, college and minor leagues). He not only succeeds but he leads that level in home runs as well. Obviously the Major Leagues is the best competition in the world so this is his hardest challenge. But we'll see what he can do stemming from a limited rookie season to his second season in the big leagues. I still feel like A.J. Reed is going to become a long-term fixture at first base for the Houston Astros. It would be foolish to count this kid out after a brief rookie season of struggles.

If first base is a problem then we need to check that on our free agent wish list. But for now I just think we should offer Edwin Encarnacion a big contract on a one or two-year deal. Anyways, let's just hope we have a healthy and determined Dallas Keuchel and Lance McCullers Jr. going into 2017. That to me would be so huge and that is what we lacked down the stretch of this year. Those two can dominate and have Cy Young award winning potential in terms of their excellent stuff. That's a solid #1 and #2 for any starting rotation if they are both healthy.

Collin McHugh is in line to win his 6th straight decision at Anaheim tonight. He has a shutout going and the defense is spectacular behind him in the field. Even though we had lost his last start which was another impressive pitching performance (no-decision at home against the Mariners that we lost 4-3 after our bullpen blew that game). He's been pretty reliable for us the final month of this season. If he were only our #3 or #4 starter next year I'm okay with that.

McHugh is not great by any means (an Ace he simply is not) but when he's pitching well he is more than capable of reeling off six or seven wins in a row. If you recall, he was also money for us at the beginning of 2015. If only he can pitch that good over the course of a full season. Not just a handful of starts in a row. But for a #3 or #4 starter he can definitely get the job done for what he is supposed to be for this team.

I actually think the Astros would have won the second wild-card spot in the American League this year if we hadn't been without Dallas Keuchel and Lance McCullers Jr. down the stretch. Although it was our lack of hitting which cost us a lot of those games. But I digress, 2016 is over and I'm glad this long season is coming to an end.

Looking ahead to 2017, I like the team we already have. We simply need that one more "big bat" in the middle of our lineup. If we can solve that major need, and most importantly keep our best pitchers healthy, we'll be in better position to overtake the Texas Rangers and win the American League West next year. The Astros aren't that far away from becoming a great team. I hope they don't give up on their nucleus and make major changes this off-season. There is a lot of young talent and all they need is one or two really good veteran players that can help lead the way.

If I were the general manager of the Houston Astros, I'd have a lot of fun in free agency this winter.
Oct 1 2016 09:50pm
Around here in Houston there seems to be a lot of doom and gloom over the season-ending injury of superstar defensive end J.J. Watt. He opted to have his second back surgery since July and his return is not going to be until training camp of next year. A three-time defensive player of the year award winner and a dominating presence on defense his loss is a major one to say the least. While I tend to agree (don't get me wrong), I would also argue that the mindset of the coaches and players shouldn't be that way. The fans can panic all they want but they are not the ones on the field playing these games.

Look at what the New England Patriots have accomplished so far this season with their two best players not even on the field, including arguably the best quarterback of all-time not even suiting up for their first four games this year. And that is a first-rate organization that actually wins a lot of Super Bowls and they make the playoffs year in and year out. So they are a good example of a team that doesn't use excuses and they still go out and win games. Losers make excuses while winners just win.

While it's true that all three of our playoff appearances, including two wild-card wins over the Cincinnati Bengals (a much maligned franchise that hasn't won a playoff game since 1991), have been with J.J. Watt on the field... You can also say that we suffered a 2-14 season back in 2013 with J.J. Watt playing every game and dominating. So it's not like we've ever advanced deep in the playoffs even when Watt was healthy.

Let's not give up on our team goals just because Watt is out for the season. We still play in a pretty bad division. I still think 8 wins may be enough to win the porous AFC South this year. If the Texans defeat the Titans later today and the Jaguars beat the Colts - both of which I expect to happen - guess what? We will be 3-1 while the other three teams in our division will all be 1-3.

So there are still some reasons for optimism and hope for the Houston Texans in 2016.
That is, if all you care about is winning the AFC South division and making the playoffs.

Actually winning a playoff game, without our best player, when the level of intensity is dialed up several more notches than what you see in the regular season, well that's another story I'd rather discuss when that time arrives. For now we merely need to focus on winning a bad division for a second straight year.

A Houston Texans win over the Tennessee Titans on Sunday afternoon can start to relieve a lot of the hometown fans' concerns.

This post was edited by Madmartigan on Oct 1 2016 09:51pm
Oct 2 2016 03:39pm
I'm glad the Texans had defeated the Titans, 27-20. All is good in H-Town again.
It felt a little dicey for most of the second half but the Texans are now 3-0 at home.

It was the Houston Texans first game played without J.J. Watt since 2010 (the year before he was drafted).
Jadeveon Clowney had the only defensive sack of the game. It's up to him to really step up his game now.

Will Fuller's speed and quickness resulted in a 67-yard punt return for a Touchdown.

https://youtu.be/VnZvmRXDthY

Will Fuller's 67-yard punt return for a Touchdown turned out to be the difference in the game.
The rookie wide receiver had another fine game: 7 receptions for 81 yards with 1 receiving TD.
If he's not the frontrunner for the 2016 AFC offensive rookie of the year then I don't know who is.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Will Fuller joins Antonio Brown, Julian Edelman, DeSean Jackson, and Santana Moss as the only players in NFL history to have a punt return touchdown in the same game they had at least 6 catches for 80+ yards.

Brock Osweiler continues to be inconsistent at the quarterback position which is concerning to me.
He threw two more interceptions today (6 INTs in the 4 games) but he did make some nice passes.
25-for-37 passing with 254 yards and 2 Touchdown passes: He started off the game on fire as well (14-0 Texans lead).

One bright spot that I enjoyed seeing was the fact that Osweiler was completing several passes to his tight ends.
The Texans tight ends over the past couple of years have been very disappointing with their lack of production.
Ryan Griffin had 3 catches for 54 yards and C.J. Fiedorowicz had 4 catches for 48 yards and 1 receiving TD.

Brock Osweiler's second Touchdown pass of the game to Will Fuller.

https://youtu.be/7UubMjbfCHM

Also the Jaguars had beaten the Colts so that is good news.
Just a quick look at the 2016 AFC South division standings.
The Houston Texans already have a 2-game lead over everybody.

Texans: 3-1
Jaguars: 1-3
Titans: 1-3
Colts: 1-3

The first-place Houston Texans look to continue their winning ways with a tough game at Minnesota next Sunday.
Winning tough road games has been problematic for the Texans over the years. Hopefully they can find a way.

Having a two-game lead over every other team in the division gives the Texans a little wiggle room for now.
Oct 3 2016 02:28am
So I wake up this morning listening to the sports-talk shows and a lot of people are concerned with DeAndre Hopkins' lack of production. He only had 1 catch for 4 yards yesterday. Didn't Julio Jones of the Falcons, another elite wide receiver, have only 1 catch for 16 yards in his previous game against the Raiders? And then yesterday he had an unbelievable 12-catch, 300-yard and 1 TD performance against the defending NFC champion Panthers.

I'm not saying DeAndre Hopkins is going to do something incredible like that but I wouldn't worry about his 1 catch game yesterday. He's had two quiet games in a row for that matter. Elite wideouts sometimes go through the ups and downs one week to the next. He'll bounce back at Minnesota most likely. But they do have a really good defense so we'll see.

We're 3-1 and in first place in the AFC South. A comfortable two-game lead over everybody else. That's not too shabby. I'll start to worry when the Titans, Jaguars or Colts beat us and tie us for the division lead. I still think we can go 6-0 in the division even without J.J. Watt (1-0 with 5 games left). I still think only 8 wins may be enough to take our division this year. 9 or 10 wins will be plenty. If those other three AFC South teams suffer a major injury we're pretty much golden. Even with their good players all healthy they are all 1-3!

And out of all the teams in the AFC South the Houston Texans are the only one with a lot of room to improve as a team, especially offensively. We haven't played anywhere close to our best football yet. Brock Osweiler has thrown 6 interceptions in 4 games! Had you told me that prior to the season I'd be fearing a 1-3 record, not 3-1.

Looking ahead to the Houston Texans at Minnesota Vikings game on Sunday all I can say is wow! This is going to be another tough challenge on the road. The 3-1 Texans versus the 4-0 or 3-1 Vikings. The Vikings play the Giants on Monday Night Football tonight, but I hope they remain undefeated going into our game.

Don't turn the ball over and let's try to grind that game out. If our guys are up for the challenge that could be an exciting game to watch. We haven't been able to beat a good team on the road for a long time in recent years, other than the Bengals, off the top of my head. Being able to beat good teams on the road is something the Houston Texans need to learn how to do.

If the Texans can win at Minnesota that would be a tremendous confidence booster. They would also be sitting pretty with a 4-1 record. Let's not give the other teams in our division a chance to even dream about catching us. The Houston Texans can run away with the 2016 AFC South division title if they can figure out how to beat good teams on the road.

Pro football is the ultimate team sport. I learned a long time ago that winning games is all that matters in the NFL. You have to take the good with the bad sometimes. If all you do is focus on the injury report, or drool over the statistics and analytics, then you end up missing what truly counts. A team like the Houston Texans may not pass the glamour test, and a lot of people around the country don't consider them a good team (especially with J.J. Watt out for the season with a back injury), but they are still in position to accomplish some great things this year.
Oct 8 2016 06:59am
I don't have much to say as the 3-1 Texans prepare to play the 4-0 Vikings at Minnesota tomorrow at noontime.
I've been waiting all week long for this big game. There is nothing I can say or write that will change how I feel.

Although one thing that bothers me is when the media talks about the major injury losses the Vikings have overcome.
First of all, we're only 25 % of the way into the season. There is still a lot of football left to be played to say the least.

And every team has to deal with major injuries. That's part of football. Losing J.J. Watt, a three-time defensive player of the year still in his prime (the most dominant defensive force in the history of the game when healthy), I would argue, is even more of a loss than the Vikings losing an aging Adrian Peterson and a young and inconsistent Teddy Bridgewater combined.

On top of that we've been without our All-Pro left tackle Duane Brown. Thankfully he'll be returning tomorrow for his first game of 2016 from what I understand. Let's face it, we've been without two of our better players on both sides of the ball. Guys who win All-Pro awards. Those type of special players are very hard to replace.

It's actually easier to replace an All-Pro wide receiver like Andre Johnson or an All-Pro running back like Adrian Peterson. Especially now that he's aging and likely only has a few good years left in him. You can find very good skill position players a lot easier than a franchise left tackle or a game-changing defensive player that can command two or three offensive blockers on any given play.

But that being said, I still like our chances to win a tough road game tomorrow against an undefeated Vikings team. Even though we haven't shown much, if anything, on the road against good teams lately. We were just trashed and embarrassed, 27-0, in our last road game against the New England Patriots.

It's all about our offense playing well. I'm tired about hearing how great the Vikings defense is. You know what, the Texans offense is loaded with young talent at the skill positions and our offensive line is about to get a whole lot better. It's time for Brock Osweiler to step up and become a man on the field tomorrow. He's no longer a young kid anymore. He's had the opportunity to sit and learn for a lot of years now behind an all-time legend like Peyton Manning.

I don't want to hear any crap about "he's learning, give him more time." The time for that is over! Brock has to play well and lead this team to some big victories on the road. This is why he was paid the big money this past off-season. If we wanted to keep losing games like tomorrow, if we end up losing another road game against a good team, we could have simply kept Brian Hoyer or Ryan Fitzpatrick and had gotten the same losing results. Heck, we could have kept Matt Schaub! Even Case Keenum could have given us the same things.
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic