d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Confirmed That Hussain Paid $400 Million > To Release 3 Hostages.
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,620.00
Aug 21 2016 01:44am
The Obama administration insists that the $400 million dollar payment was not paying a ransom for the three prisoners but rather was maintaining maxiumum leverage in negotations with Iran stemming from a decades-old arms deal repayment in which the US never delivered on our end of the deal.

I'm not buying it. I think the US effectively paid a ransom for these three prisoners. The International Court hadn't even made a ruling yet on this case on whether the US actually had to repay Iran or not.
Gold: 356.93
Aug 21 2016 02:22am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Aug 21 2016 06:44pm)
The Obama administration insists that the $400 million dollar payment was not paying a ransom for the three prisoners but rather was maintaining maxiumum leverage in negotations with Iran stemming from a decades-old arms deal repayment in which the US never delivered on our end of the deal.

I'm not buying it. I think the US effectively paid a ransom for these three prisoners. The International Court hadn't even made a ruling yet on this case on whether the US actually had to repay Iran or not.

You ever think that getting the prisoners out was a lucky side effect of obama giving that money as a good faith gesture towards NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT?
Gold: 252.29
Aug 21 2016 02:25am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Aug 21 2016 07:44am)

How much is the hildebeast paying you to post this on each website?
Gold: 2,620.00
Aug 21 2016 03:11am
Quote (Plaguefear @ 21 Aug 2016 03:22)
You ever think that getting the prisoners out was a lucky side effect of obama giving that money as a good faith gesture towards NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT?

I think the $400 million dollar payment and the release of the three prisoners are more highly correlated than the Obama administration is leading on about. In fact, we now this now.

Additionally, the State Deparment has said that the $400 million payment was a part of repayment for a deal with Iran in the 1970s in which the US never sent weapons to the Iranians after the collapse of their government in 1979.

The Obama administration argues that Iran was getting their money regardless, which is fair, but now they are admitting that the US prisoners were more involved in all of this than they originally led on. They were withholding the payment as leverage.

There's a lot of moving parts here, and foreign relations are delicate and complicated, but I don't think the Obama administration has been very honest or transparent about this. That's not to say I think the deal with Iran was a bad one (including the nuclear deal with the added interest of this payment), I'm just pointing out that Obama promised to lead the most transparent administration ever, and I do not think he has done that.
Gold: 20.31
Aug 22 2016 02:43pm
Quote (Pollster @ Aug 4 2016 10:07am)
What website that does a terrible job reporting on foreign policy did you read that on? The people reporting on the diplomacy with Iran at the time are either completely incompetent (by blending pieces of 3 separate issues together), or they really did know better and just deliberately lied to you.

Question still stands.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll