d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Blm Not Voting?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,620.00
Jul 21 2016 02:34pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 21 Jul 2016 15:24)
Looking at the graph it looks like blacks didn't surpass until 2008, and still tend to drop below in off year elections. I think its just an old adage that hasnt gone out of use in the last 8 years since it became untrue. I don't think speculation is needed, blacks have been stereotyped as lazy and so people want to believe it is true.

That's exactly my point. It's a racist assumption to think Blacks don't show up to vote. They do.

And like I mentioned and as the data shows, it hasn't just been the the past 8 years, like you are saying. Blacks have almost always shown up in good numbers to go out and vote in recent times, usually only trailing non-Hispanic Whites by a couple digits since 1996. And even before then, only a couple points. Look at 1984, for instance.

And they've always shown up more than Asians and Hispanics....and yet you never hear jokes about how those groups don't show up to vote.

I've heard the joke that Blacks don't show up so many times, and I just don't get it. Well, I do get it. It's just a racist assumption. But the facts just don't support it.

Maybe they didn't show up to vote before the 1960s...when many Blacks couldn't vote for various reasons. Lol. But this idea that Blacks don't show up to vote just isn't true if you look at the info.
Gold: 4.77
Jul 21 2016 02:37pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ 21 Jul 2016 15:20)
Blacks had the highest voter turnout of any race in the 2008 and 2012 elections.

We could all speculate as to why that might be, but even in the 1996, 2000, and 2004 elections, Blacks were very close to non-Hispanic Whites in terms of voter turnout (only behind a few percentage points) and were ahead of Hispanics and Asians. Yet we don't hear as many jokes about Hispanics and Asians not showing up to the polls.

Not even sure where that joke ever came from. I guess people just assume Blacks don't turn out to vote? Guess they didn't look at the information and just went off of hearsay. We could also speculate why people might think that joke is actually true.

http://www.electproject.org/_/rsrc/1437674226372/home/voter-turnout/demographics/CPS%20race.png

played like a metronome

Gold: 200.83
Jul 21 2016 02:42pm
This is bad for the democratic party if large numbers of blacks decide not to vote
Gold: 7,525.35
Jul 21 2016 02:42pm
Good work detective.

If its amended to young blacks/people associated with blm hes in business.
Jul 21 2016 02:50pm
Quote (majorblood @ 21 Jul 2016 15:42)
This is bad for the democratic party if large numbers of blacks decide not to vote

True, but that's not going to happen. The Black community is very likely going to show up in numbers very similar to non-Hispanic whites (in terms of turnout %) and vote this election...and about 88-90% will vote for Hillary.

Quote (cambovenzi @ 21 Jul 2016 15:42)
Good work detective.

If its amended to young blacks/people associated with blm hes in business.

Or if it just amended to Americans.

America has a poor voter turnout compared to other wealthy democracies and developed countries.

And yes, young people also vote a lot less than old people.

I love seeing the dip in the mid-term elections. And people wonder why Republicans tend to do better than Democrats in mid-term elections...Democrats do better if voter turnout is high.

That's why Republicans try everything they can to decrease voter turnout. Dirty secret, but true.
Gold: 7,525.35
Jul 21 2016 03:02pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 21 2016 04:50pm)
True, but that's not going to happen. The Black community is very likely going to show up in numbers very similar to non-Hispanic whites (in terms of turnout %) and vote this election...and about 88-90% will vote for Hillary.

Or if it just amended to Americans.

America has a poor voter turnout compared to other wealthy democracies and developed countries.

And yes, young people also vote a lot less than old people.

I love seeing the dip in the mid-term elections. And people wonder why Republicans tend to do better than Democrats in mid-term elections...Democrats do better if voter turnout is high.

That's why Republicans try everything they can to decrease voter turnout. Dirty secret, but true.

ftr I disagree with the notion that voting and high turnout is inherently good. If people are uninformed or want to violently have their bad views imposed on others I encourage them to stay home and read a book or watch jersey shore.
Its far more irresponsible to vote from a state of ignorance than to stay home.

Some sort of ID requirement before being allowed to vote to force your views on others isn't exactly an extreme notion and is hardly 'everything they can do'.

The opposite is also true. The dems encourage anyone and everyone to vote, doesnt matter if they are informed. even people from other countries. Just vote. or die! (or we'll have someone vote for you after you die. np)
P.S. Republicans are racist, sexist and literally Hitler

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Jul 21 2016 03:03pm
Gold: 3.33
Jul 21 2016 03:03pm
BLM have done many things but doing a nazi salute after a speech at the RNC was not one of them
Gold: 200.83
Jul 21 2016 03:14pm
Quote (dro94 @ Jul 21 2016 01:03pm)
BLM have done many things but doing a nazi salute after a speech at the RNC was not one of them

to the extreme

This post was edited by majorblood on Jul 21 2016 03:15pm
Gold: 4.77
Jul 21 2016 03:17pm
Quote (dro94 @ 21 Jul 2016 16:03)

She didn't click her heels not a real salute.
More of a casual "sup"
Jul 21 2016 03:36pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ 21 Jul 2016 16:02)
ftr I disagree with the notion that voting and high turnout is inherently good. If people are uninformed or want to violently have their bad views imposed on others I encourage them to stay home and read a book or watch jersey shore.
Its far more irresponsible to vote from a state of ignorance than to stay home.

Some sort of ID requirement before being allowed to vote to force your views on others isn't exactly an extreme notion and is hardly 'everything they can do'.

The opposite is also true. The dems encourage anyone and everyone to vote, doesnt matter if they are informed. even people from other countries. Just vote. or die! (or we'll have someone vote for you after you die. np)
P.S. Republicans are racist, sexist and literally Hitler

I agree that more voter turnout isn't necessarily and always good, but I think low voter turnout is a sign of voter indifference. A lot of people are really sick of politics in the US and just don't care. They aren't engaging in the democratic process. I think it can be a sign of an unhealthy democracy.

I'm adamantly opposed to making everyone vote, but I do think voting should be easier. I think people should be automatically registered to vote when they turn 18 instead of having to go through the sometimes complicated bureaucratic process in order to vote. The bureaucracy does not enable the people and our government is much too large.

I also think people should be able to vote by mail, like they can in Oregon. The cases of in-person voter fraud are so rare in the US that it is almost non-existent. More people are actually struck by lightning than commit in-person voter fraud. Voting laws are essentially fighting a non-existent problem.

Efforts to make voting more difficult are usually not well-intentioned, and that's also historically been the case. There's almost always a political agenda attached to voting laws. Making voting easier certainly has its own political "agenda" too, if you want to look at it that way. But I think encouraging involvement with government and our society is a healthier thing to strive for.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll