d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MMORPG > Guild Wars 1 & 2 > Is It Too Late To Start Gw2?
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Gold: 51,346.00
Jul 7 2016 10:20pm
Should i get this?
me and my friend thinking about getting it.

i played GW1 long ago till i got hacked and i am skeptical to get it gw2 cause brings back bad memories. But it does look good and i kinda miss it and need a new game to play.

How much does it cost now? IS there expansions and such now? not sure what is there atm.

Will i be missing alot since i dont have a gw1 account anymore? IS it worth it to start gw2 at this time?
or should i look for another game....suggestions?
Gold: 42.00
Jul 7 2016 11:10pm
definitely too late to start guild wars 2, the longer you play the higher your achievement score, you will never be able to compete with those who played with release

hell ive been done playing for awhile myself and you would have trouble passing me as well
Gold: 13.37
Jul 7 2016 11:20pm
you can play for absolutely free. so you have nothing to lose by seeing if it's for you or not

there are restrictions on free accounts (no expansion content, some trade and messaging stuff to counteract bots and RMT)
Jul 8 2016 12:02am
ok ty for your input guys
sounds to me like its not a good idea to get it this game now then

my friend is more on the competion side
i am more on the "collecting items" as in tonics, mini pets and all the consumbles for fun! and cool things! and just things people might need for trading.

is there another game you recommneeded that is a multiplayer mmo that is like guild wars, or diablo 2 but not as complicated as World of war craft.
Gold: 190.00
Jul 8 2016 04:54am
Quote (HEAVENSHAKINGSWORD @ Jul 8 2016 07:10am)
definitely too late to start guild wars 2, the longer you play the higher your achievement score, you will never be able to compete with those who played with release

hell ive been done playing for awhile myself and you would have trouble passing me as well

Who cares about achievement points.
U can still have fun and enjoy Guildwars2. There are tons of things to collect. Just try it :)
Gold: 1,365.00
Jul 8 2016 08:54am
you can definitly still start

What HEAVENSHAKINGSWORD said is jsut complete bullshit
the AP are something that you can pretty much ignore in GW2 ... you only need AP for 2 specific armor sets but 99% of GW2 population isnt able to get them yet and there will probably never be more than 5% -10 % of population who farm that many AP to ever get it ... its a thing for pure veteran players that are truly commiting on it

Guild Wars 2 has 1 expansion (Heart of Thorns) which you can buy and you get the base game for free with it
In EU it costs around 35-45 Euros in local stores

you can also just get yourself a FREE TO PLAY account first to test out gameplay and then upgrade that account to a full account later
I would recommend getting a full account as early as possible once you notice weather or not you like the gameplay because it does improve the gaming quality (you cant mail or trade items in the Trading post ... you cant use map chat on free to play accs..) and gives you some more rewards too

The gameplay gets a lot more fluid and exciting once you are lvl 80 and you have full access to traits and elitespecs in my opinion ... as lowlvl you often just have to mindlessly use your few weaponskills without making real use of any specific class mechanics yet ... so dont let that get your bored after few hours at lowlvl already if you feel like you could like the gameplay in general

There are quite a few helpful / informative sites for GW2:
dulfy.net --> filled with guides about many parts of the game (guild missions, almost every Achievement, ...) and always giving preview for new stuff that comes to the game from gemshop or living world
metabattle.com --> a site with ALL the builds for every class for every gamemode (Pve, PvP, WvW) that are currently in the meta (and also showing builds that are not the top in the meta but still useful) very helpful to find a useful build for your class
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page --> the official wiki page for GW2 ... it contains information about almost anything ingame and you can even access it from ingame by typing "/wiki XXXX" in chat and just replace the XXXX by the thing you need information about ... you can also type /wiki and then use SHIFT+click on an item to link that item in chat and open the wiki page about that item if you need information about it
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum --> the official GW2 forums ... you can ask questions or discuss about any thing ingame in the subforums that fit to it, you will also find patchnotes and announcements there

There are a few skins that were rewarded for players who link their GW1 account with their GW2 account and depending on how much they achieved in GW1 but no gameplay advantage or anything that you get from it

I suggest you search for a nice active guild with players willing to guide you as a beginner ... then you can have an epic experience in GW2

This post was edited by Kartoffelgratin on Jul 8 2016 09:01am
Jul 8 2016 10:25am
ok thanks so much for your post guys

is GW2 like GW1

where its not about the weapons since all weapons cap easily and its just cool skins
but instead the char you use and sub class with a good build that balances energy mangement, power, and defense and movement

also is it still same with team work that is required in GW1 for missions or quest where you need ppl to help
and then nightfal came to introduce "heroes" as your custmizable heroes to take with you as henchmen.

also can you solo farm for things in GW2?

any insight?
thanks guys you all been a big help so far
Gold: 0.00
Jul 8 2016 11:28am
You're not too late if you enjoy the game for what it is and don't compare yourself to other player's progress. That's what ruined it for me. Too hard to compete. Better to enjoy game for what it is.
Jul 8 2016 06:34pm
Quote (Mycenaean @ Jul 8 2016 01:28pm)
You're not too late if you enjoy the game for what it is and don't compare yourself to other player's progress. That's what ruined it for me. Too hard to compete. Better to enjoy game for what it is.

hows the PVE aspact tho?
is it fun to farm things and make builds? and grow and do missions?

are items similiar to GW where you can get the cap of weapons easiliy and only thing that differes is skin of the weapon. or is it different then that?
Gold: 0.00
Jul 8 2016 06:40pm
Quote (bubbaXzone @ Jul 8 2016 11:25am)
ok thanks so much for your post guys

is GW2 like GW1

where its not about the weapons since all weapons cap easily and its just cool skins
but instead the char you use and sub class with a good build that balances energy mangement, power, and defense and movement

also is it still same with team work that is required in GW1 for missions or quest where you need ppl to help
and then nightfal came to introduce "heroes" as your custmizable heroes to take with you as henchmen.

also can you solo farm for things in GW2?

any insight?
thanks guys you all been a big help so far

unfortunately, GW2 is nothing like GW1.
There isn't a subclass to choose and most builds are widely based off how you stat your armor now.
There's a reasonable amount of PvP that people feel isn't dead but in my opinion gets to be dry as it's mostly all the same metabuilds that you fight.
There aren't any heroes, and the dungeons feel like they have less depth than they did in GW1.
Max stat weapons are relatively easy to get and affordable, getting the pretty ones normally cost a lot as a lot of the skins for them are crafted or have a very low chance to drop.
AP doesn't matter as they said above, aside from maybe some raid groups who seemed to start requiring it just to see if the person had been playing for a while.
If you buy heart of thorns with your friend, I don't know if it still, but it did provide a free, leveled and geared character to start off with.

All in all my personal opinion of the game has dropped with time and my general interest isn't that high anymore.
Personally it was because I had all my characters geared and asthetically pleased me that I felt like I had nothing left to do after I finished with the content that's out.
I'm not an AP grinder, and I don't see a reason to completely fill the wordrobe.
Beginning of the game was great to see how they were adding in new areas and stuff, but over time it turned into a grindfest.

Just my 2 cents, a lot of people may or may not agree with me on that and i'm fine with it.

This post was edited by Imarobot on Jul 8 2016 06:42pm
Go Back To Guild Wars 1 & 2 Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll