d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Lgbt: Civil War
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 83.30
Jun 18 2016 02:03pm
http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/22/lgbt-student-activist-group-says-gay-men

The National Union of Students' LGBT Campaign—a coalition of British student-activists—passed a motion to end committee representation for gay men, because they aren't as oppressed as other LGBT individuals: like students of color and transgender students.

That's the latest hilariously self-parodying move by the famously illiberal NUS, an organization wholly dedicated to the enshrinement of safe spaces and the abolition of free expression at British universities. NUS routinely attempts to deny speaking platforms to people who have ever expressed any views that violate far-left social justice orthodoxy (Germaine Greer, Peter Tatchell, and Julie Bindel are three recent examples).

According to Pink News, delegates at the LGBT Campaign's yearly gathering decided that "Misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia are often present in LGBT+ societies. This is unfortunately more likely to occur when the society is dominated by white cis gay men.”

University LGBT clubs are often run by committees that have a trans representative, a gay male representative, a student of color, and so on. But since white cis gay men are relative enablers, rather than victims, of oppression, NUS endorsed a motion that calls on these clubs to stop extending automatic representation to them. The conference resolved, "To encourage LGBT+ Societies that have a gay men’s rep to drop the position."

Pink News noted the irony of the motion—other approved motions stressed that gay men were at increased risk of HIV infection, and even violence, relative to other marginalized groups.

Other motions were just as absurd. One asserted that the 'A' often found in the LGBT+ acronym should and must always stand for "ace" (as in, asexual), rather than "ally."

It's easy to laugh at these developments, though they speak to a real sickness on the left: hysterical obsession with group identity. In the eyes of the NUS LGBT Campaign, no one is an individual—everyone must be labelled according to their sexual preference, skin color, and gender expression, and then assigned a grievance based on the collective wisdom of their similarly marginalized peers.

Tbh I can sort of understand the reasoning but I've never liked groups of people fighting over who's the biggest victim. I also don't like how this paints men in a very negative light once more, which happens very often in LGBT media releases.
Gold: 9.99
Jun 18 2016 03:11pm
Noting the disparities in the level of oppression, and then also intra-community dynamics and representation, is important. Especially for the LGBTQ+ community.

The main quotes that this article is using and referring to, come from Motion 408 in the docket, which states:

Quote (Motion 408: Defending Safe(r spaces and No Platforming))
5. Misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia are often present in LGBT+ societies. This is unfortunately more likely to occur when the society is dominated by white cis gay men.
6. The reps system exists to ensure that societies committees can always have a reserved place for groups which disproportionately face oppression within the LGBT+ community.
7. Gay men do not face oppression as gay men within the LGBT+ community and do not need a reserved place on society committees.

It goes from here, and makes a resolution seeking:

4. To encourage LGBT+ Societies that have a gay men’s rep to drop the position.

Sourced from motion 408 on page 39 here: http://nusdigital.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/document/documents/22513/Composited_LGBT_motions_and_amendments_2.3_NO_NAMES.pdf

I've bolded the truly important section above, because it highlights and centers the importance and intention of the "rep" system. To a certain degree, the system is almost like a quota system, with the purpose being to establish diverse representation in the LGBTQ+ leadership/community that doesn't often manifest organically. This doesn't mean that groups adopting these motions will somehow no longer have any type of representation or involvement of gay men, it just means that they would no longer be formally established and protected as representatives and there would be no active seeking/searching for their voices in the same way as the other demographics.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jun 18 2016 03:17pm
Gold: 3.33
Jun 18 2016 03:26pm
The 'regressive left' crowd of uni educated liberals in their 20s that want to implement safe spaces, stifle free speech and demonise white males are really very few in number. The whole thing gets blown out of proportion by prominent online right wingers like Milo Yiannopoulos, Ben Shapiro, Stefan Molyneux, even my good friend Blaire White.

Gold: 40.42
Jun 18 2016 03:50pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 18 Jun 2016 13:11)
Noting the disparities in the level of oppression, and then also intra-community dynamics and representation, is important. Especially for the LGBTQ+ community.

The main quotes that this article is using and referring to, come from Motion 408 in the docket, which states:

Sourced from motion 408 on page 39 here: http://nusdigital.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/document/documents/22513/Composited_LGBT_motions_and_amendments_2.3_NO_NAMES.pdf

I've bolded the truly important section above, because it highlights and centers the importance and intention of the "rep" system. To a certain degree, the system is almost like a quota system, with the purpose being to establish diverse representation in the LGBTQ+ leadership/community that doesn't often manifest organically. This doesn't mean that groups adopting these motions will somehow no longer have any type of representation or involvement of gay men, it just means that they would no longer be formally established and protected as representatives and there would be no active seeking/searching for their voices in the same way as the other demographics.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down with all this nuance and understanding what's actually happening here, I'm here to cry about SJWs.
Jun 18 2016 03:55pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Jun 18 2016 09:50pm)
Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down with all this nuance and understanding what's actually happening here, I'm here to cry about SJWs.

I'm not sure what's more delicious: SJW tears, or tears about SJWs.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jun 18 2016 03:56pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 18 2016 04:09pm
As a conservative at liberal university I can say the bigotry there was much worse.
Gold: 500.00
Jun 18 2016 04:11pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jun 18 2016 05:09pm)
As a conservative at liberal university I can say the bigotry there was much worse.

what happened?
Gold: 1,819.09
Jun 18 2016 04:49pm
What about lesbian woman, it seems like they're by far the least oppressed "group" within the LGBT community. Or is this really just because these individuals are men. Despite it being increasing taboo to act like you are uncomfortable around anyone is LGBT, people don't really bat an eye around a lesbian, while even those who would think they are not being homophobic may still act that way when discussing or being in the presence of a gay man.
Jun 18 2016 05:02pm
Quote (Caedus @ Jun 18 2016 10:49pm)
What about lesbian woman, it seems like they're by far the least oppressed "group" within the LGBT community. Or is this really just because these individuals are men. Despite it being increasing taboo to act like you are uncomfortable around anyone is LGBT, people don't really bat an eye around a lesbian, while even those who would think they are not being homophobic may still act that way when discussing or being in the presence of a gay man.

I would say on lesbian women, that it goes back to the intra-community representation section. Overwhelmingly, the LGBTQ+ community has been dominated by white gay men, and often times at the expense of other demographics, including lesbians and other queer women.
Gold: 792.00
Jun 18 2016 05:06pm
What about rights for asexuals?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll