d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Youtube Video Thread
Prev1213214215216217694Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,296.69
May 29 2017 02:22pm
Keep acting like the Pence types are the Devil and keep getting Trumps

they pulled that -shut off all conversation, Bush/Cheney evil/ Obama Savior- bullshit and created the garden for the great pumpkin to grow

Pence has some shitty backward ways of thinking on some things but for the foreseeable future you can either have a serious person like Pence and battle ideas or you can be big babies and get big babies for President
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
May 29 2017 02:22pm
Quote (IceMage @ 29 May 2017 21:17)
Freedom of speech and the right to freedom of speech are two different things. One involves the population, the other involves government authority. Protesting conservatives on campus to the point of not allowing them to speak, is infringing on their freedom of speech. Liberals would be better off engaging them with ideas, which I think is what Fareed Zakaria was talking about.

You can claim that students should walk out on Mike Pence cause he's a bigot, but there's plenty of good reason to walk out on an Obama, Clinton, or Sanders because they support restricting the right to firearms, or they support abortion on demand, or they support the state forcing religious groups to violate their conscience. There's arguments on both sides as to why you should disrespect a person.

oh absolutely, and i'm clearly against blocking / silencing / harrassing these speakers, even if you strongly disagree with them. i also think it IS important to at least hear the other side's rational arguments, but again, that does not mean you have to expose yourself to it again and again.

and no, i'm not claiming students SHOULD walk out on mike pence at all, read again plz. i'm merely stating that silently walking out on someone should NOT be equated with actively and loudly disturbing a speaker you don't like to a point he is basically silenced...
btw, i would support everyone's right to walk out on clinton or obama as well - and not because i think common sense gun regulation is trying to take away american "freedom", but because i respect your right to think that way, even though it's ridiculous...

This post was edited by fender on May 29 2017 02:29pm
Gold: 4,383.11
May 29 2017 03:04pm
Quote (fender @ 29 May 2017 22:22)
oh absolutely, and i'm clearly against blocking / silencing / harrassing these speakers, even if you strongly disagree with them. i also think it IS important to at least hear the other side's rational arguments, but again, that does not mean you have to expose yourself to it again and again.

and no, i'm not claiming students SHOULD walk out on mike pence at all, read again plz. i'm merely stating that silently walking out on someone should NOT be equated with actively and loudly disturbing a speaker you don't like to a point he is basically silenced...
btw, i would support everyone's right to walk out on clinton or obama as well - and not because i think common sense gun regulation is trying to take away american "freedom", but because i respect your right to think that way, even though it's ridiculous...

not trying to start another gun discussion, but i am sure you understand that the problem lies elsewhere
there is already enough weapons and ammunition around for the whole population killing each other several times so yeah....

Quote (Goomshill @ 29 May 2017 18:59)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCAaiBEvSM

good and important video, i wonder if the left wing thought police will be triggered and start a campaign against this guy
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
May 29 2017 04:01pm
Quote (ampoo @ 29 May 2017 22:04)
not trying to start another gun discussion, but i am sure you understand that the problem lies elsewhere

oh sure, guns are not the problem, people are. americans are just that much worse than the rest of the civilised world. exactly what all the politicians who get huge donations from the nra would say...

there is already enough weapons and ammunition around for the whole population killing each other several times so yeah....

according to that "logic", why not allow every country to have nuclear weapons? every country should have the same "freedom" to acquire such weapons. i mean there are already enough around to kill the whole population of the world multiple times, so "yeah"...

good and important video, i wonder if the left wing thought police will be triggered and start a campaign against this guy

you mean like the right wing thought police was triggered after his comments about trump's bigotry and demagoguery? we'll see...
Gold: 260.11
May 29 2017 04:12pm
Quote (IceMage @ May 29 2017 02:17pm)
Freedom of speech and the right to freedom of speech are two different things. One involves the population, the other involves government authority. Protesting conservatives on campus to the point of not allowing them to speak, is infringing on their freedom of speech. Liberals would be better off engaging them with ideas, which I think is what Fareed Zakaria was talking about.

You can claim that students should walk out on Mike Pence cause he's a bigot, but there's plenty of good reason to walk out on an Obama, Clinton, or Sanders because they support restricting the right to firearms, or they support abortion on demand, or they support the state forcing religious groups to violate their conscience. There's arguments on both sides as to why you should disrespect a person. Being an adult means you give respect to people who hold certain authority, unless they've violated the office so much that you should protest them. Mike Pence isn't an example of that.

I mean, to some of the people who walked out, simply being against gay marriage is a reason to protest the speech, yet Obama and Clinton were against it just a few number of years ago.

Freedom of speech doesn't include the right to have an audience.

Protesting enough so they aren't allowed to come isn't a violation of any kind of free speech. Threatening violence so they don't come or the event gets cancelled is.

Being an adult means assessing for yourself whether or not somebody deserves respect. It's children who defer to authority just because he has authority.

I don't think you should speak for people you've never spoken too. It's not really a way to have a reasonable conversation.
Gold: 22,189.49
May 29 2017 06:15pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 29 2017 04:12pm)
Freedom of speech doesn't include the right to have an audience.

Freedom of speech means having a right to be able to speak to an audience that wants to listen. If that audience exists, then being forbidden from speaking to it is a violation of the freedom of speech.

Protesting enough so they aren't allowed to come isn't a violation of any kind of free speech

Of course its a violation of free speech. Its an illegal violation of their right to assemble
Gold: 1.93
May 29 2017 07:55pm

Quote (Goomshill @ May 30 2017 11:15am)
Freedom of speech means having a right to be able to speak to an audience that wants to listen. If that audience exists, then being forbidden from speaking to it is a violation of the freedom of speech.

Of course its a violation of free speech. Its an illegal violation of their right to assemble

Only if done by government.

This post was edited by Plaguefear on May 29 2017 07:56pm
Gold: 22,189.49
May 29 2017 08:18pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ May 29 2017 07:55pm)
Only if done by government.

Gold: 2,094.99
May 30 2017 09:58am
Gold: 107.77
May 30 2017 03:00pm
All aboard the Trump Train

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1213214215216217694Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll